Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Roof bars - additional bars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Roof bars - additional bars

Having just obtained a nice set of Thule roof bars (thanks tucker_j!) I was wondering what to do with the set of crossbars I had for my D1 - not the clip-in Land Rover ones, but solid clamp-on ones sold as "Halfords" but identical with "Thule".

It dawned on me that the D3 Thule crossbars are very similar in section to the longitudinal bars on the D1 - close enough in fact for the D1 crossbars to be fitted lengthwise between two D3 crossbars. This is a bit like the way some cycle carriers fit, but without the projecting bike bits. They will even fit outboard of the fittings attaching the bars to the D3 roof-rail.

So far the only use I can see for this is to fit sideways shining work lights, or perhaps an awning (or as it's known in GB - a rain shelter). Any-one got any further ideas to make use of this fitment?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #64820312th May 2010 5:48 pm
bongy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Roof bars - additional bars

Navigator wrote:
Having just obtained a nice set of Thule roof bars (thanks tucker_j!) I was wondering what to do with the set of crossbars I had for my D1 - not the clip-in Land Rover ones, but solid clamp-on ones sold as "Halfords" but identical with "Thule".

It dawned on me that the D3 Thule crossbars are very similar in section to the longitudinal bars on the D1 - close enough in fact for the D1 crossbars to be fitted lengthwise between two D3 crossbars. This is a bit like the way some cycle carriers fit, but without the projecting bike bits. They will even fit outboard of the fittings attaching the bars to the D3 roof-rail.

So far the only use I can see for this is to fit sideways shining work lights, or perhaps an awning (or as it's known in GB - a rain shelter). Any-one got any further ideas to make use of this fitment?

got any piccies of them fitted as I like the sound of it! Smile
 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6 55 Buckingham Blue Base
15% tints / Group Buy Stainless Steel Sill Plates / Trillogy B144 tailpipes / Stupidly Large Steel Bull Bar 8)
EGR Blanking plates / Side Steps / Very Big LR roof Box / BAS remap Smile
New AC condensor / New Clutch & DM Flywheel / New Air Compressor, pipe set & Relay/another new clutch plate thanks to SWMBO/ new cross over pipe (without the body coming off) Sad
Suzuki GSX1400 - its all torque! 8)
Bayliner 175 Capri Very Happy
Adria 660SP motorhome Smile 

Post #64820912th May 2010 5:56 pm
Navigator

Picies coming once the rain stop - DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH! Whistle
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #64821012th May 2010 5:58 pm
bongy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

ah glorious Scotland - I was there on Monday and Tuesday and although a little nippy it was lovely! Very Happy
15% tints / Group Buy Stainless Steel Sill Plates / Trillogy B144 tailpipes / Stupidly Large Steel Bull Bar 8)
New AC condensor / New Clutch & DM Flywheel / New Air Compressor, pipe set & Relay/another new clutch plate thanks to SWMBO/ new cross over pipe (without the body coming off) Sad

Post #64821212th May 2010 6:05 pm
Navigator

Here is the general arrangement

Front with all the covers off to show how the bars fit together.

Rear with all covers in place:

How it sits along the side.

The longitudinal bars will fit inside or outside (shown) of the roof rail brackets. It is possible to create an overhang on one side by sliding the cross-bars fully over to that side.

The cross bars can be positioned as far apart as the length of roof-rail allows with one of Uncle Ray's antenna mounts fitted.

So what can we use it for then?
Post #64827212th May 2010 8:42 pm
bongy

not quite was I was expecting as I want to in effect extend the length widthways of the bars to get an extra bike rack on the roof 8)

Post #64827512th May 2010 8:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >