Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Roof Mounted Bike Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Roof Mounted Bike Rack

Is anyone succesfully using one? I have the LR Cross Bars and am trying to work out what may fit.

I had been using the Max Raxx rack on the towbar, but they have problem with this and the replacement bracket is arriving at the start of August which is after my holiday, and I need to tow a caravan.

I also found my Max Raxx snags on the stabiliser, so Max came and modified the bracket, but this involved grinding a huge amount of metal away from the top of the bracket, leaving only a few mm around the top bolt hole which I feel a bit uncomfortable with.

He is being very reasonable about all this, and I am just investigating if a roof mounted system may be better for me. I am 6'3" so reckon I can reach a bike on the roof with the suspension dropped. I was looking at the mont Blank as there blurb says the bike stays up right on it's own while you fix the stabiliser.

Any feedback on roof mounted racks then?

Thanks

Post #6415616th Jun 2006 10:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I'm only 5'4" so not an option Embarassed Putting the bikes in your caravan? We do that and never had a problem. I have a pendle rack you can borrow if you're stuck, but you can't tow with it so it probably isn't any use.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6417316th Jun 2006 11:45 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Just received a letter from MAXXRAXX and they are hoping to have the replacement units by the end of July, but it goes on to say that if you are going on holiday before this date to contact them as they have a temporary solution available.
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #6417816th Jun 2006 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think the standard 35 quid Halfords bike rack will just about fit the Land Rover cross bars. From my measurements, you should just about get three across. I am trying to get some time to fit my bars and take to the local store to see if they do fit.

If they do fit, I will invest in a rear ladder to help the loading of the bikes. It still won't be easy, but better than nothing.

Pelyma, last time I carried a bike in the caravan, I had to do a rapid stop and the bike damaged the furniture at the front of the van. I since then have secured them in the caravan with a rope, but I would still prefer not to have mucky bikes in the van.

I will let you know about the Halfords possible solution.

Post #6419116th Jun 2006 12:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth, you'll get a nosebleed going that high Wink

Post #6419516th Jun 2006 12:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'll keep an oxy tank handy Wink

Post #6419916th Jun 2006 12:34 pm
John O

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Stuff on the roof

Along with the loss of the curry hook, this is another area where the D3 has taken a backward step from the D2.
I regularly loaded five bicycles onto the LR roof bars (Thule) on our D2, a bit of a stretch for the centre mounted one - but fairly easy with practice using a caravan step for extra height (I've never been accused of being vertically challenged at 6'). When SWMBO finally agreed to me buying a tandem last year, this reduced to three bikes and a tandem. Easy on the D2. I could remove the bike racks and roof bars as a single unit and store them in the garage - very convenient.
In January, we graduated to a D3HSE with LR cross bars. Much searching in the garage at home revealed most of the t-track fittings for the Thule bike racks, and a bit of bodging enabled me to fit the tandem carrier as well. The downsides (for me) are that I have to assemble all of this each time I want to carry bikes, and the cross bars have no lashing points on the ends.
Incidentally leaving the bike racks and bikes on the roof has (in my limited experience) the same impact on fuel consumption as towing 1700kg of caravan with the bikes on the roof (approx 100 miles with bikes + caravan = 18mpg, then 50 miles with bikes but no caravan = 18mpg).

Back on topic, I would recommend any of the Thule kit (widely available from Halfrauds) - I believe it all comes with suitable t-track fittings for the LR cross bars.

On re-reading the above, the first line looks a bit harsh. Let me be clear, I have no regrets about moving from D2 to D3, and I would not want to go back. I love my D3.

John

Post #6431016th Jun 2006 8:48 pm
Sturge

Thanks for the observations. I'm gonna order some Mont Blanc Barracuda racks as they claim that the bike stays upright on it's own leaving you to fasten the clips.

Thanks for the offer of the loan Pelmya but I need to tow at the same time, so I think I need the roof jobs.

The roof ones are also better (as long as I get them up there) as I can leave the bikes on the roof while sorting out the caravan and I haven't got to dismantle the bike rack to get in the boot.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Paul

Post #6438617th Jun 2006 11:58 am
Pelyma

England 

I wedge mine in at the front of the van and bungee them together. Because the dogs come with us I pack their towels and bedding round thm to protect the furniture! Cleaning them generally stops them from being dirty Wink although my son's bike is usually dirty Embarassed For me I just couldn't get them on top, yes 10 I would get a nosebleed, either from the altitude or where I had fallen off the stepladders wrestling with the bike Laughing

Post #6441217th Jun 2006 6:03 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

never said a word...... Whistle

Post #6441317th Jun 2006 6:06 pm
Sturge

I'm getting a refund on my Max Raxx stuff (he has been incredibly good about it) and have ordered 2 x mont blank roof bike racks which mount on the t track of the landrover bars.

I found the tow bar stuff a bit tricky to use with the caravan as it was hard to arrange the bikes so they don't snag the A frame on the caravan, and then getting the stabiliser on was really hard as you can't put your weight over it as the bikes are in the way.

Post #6495420th Jun 2006 9:57 am
SuperMan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got the mont blanc bike carries and have fiited on all my croosbars got them when we first had our RR HSE. best bike racks we have had to date. although we always tend to secure the bikes with a few bungies ropes as well just to make sure.

Only time the bikes go in the caravan is if some ferry companies won't allow you on with the bikes on the roof.

not much problem for me as I am 6ft3" Very Happy to get the bikes up on the roof.
 F&M  
Post #6496720th Jun 2006 10:32 am
Sturge

good to hear! I'm the same height so should work...

Post #6497220th Jun 2006 11:24 am
Pelyma

England 

Perhaps I could hire you chaps, I've given up trying to higher myself!

Post #6497320th Jun 2006 11:43 am
Sturge

Have you considered those 'platform shoe' type things that children wear. Should give you another 6 inches or so...

Post #6497920th Jun 2006 12:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >