Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Roof Rails - Fitting on a D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Thomas Reid

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Roof Rails - Fitting on a D4

Just bought a new D4 which didnt come with roof rails as I had suspected Evil or Very Mad

So I bought a set off TLO and went at trying to fit them last night... in the cold and the dark! Not clever I Know!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had the misfortune of doing this on a D4. The existing rubber seal in the track of the car is a b***h to remove, and as it has a metal underside, it bends permenantly quite easy, which makes re-fitting the shorter piece a bit difficuly. Also, the plastic screws that hols the existing rubber on are a b***h to get out also.

So anyway, I abandoned ship....

Has anyone else, successfully or unsuccessfully fitted roof rails to a D4?
 CLUB ' Ah shor it'll be grand'

2011 Disco 4 SDV6 XE with MTR's, & Steps. 

Post #74859318th Jan 2011 10:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

No but I am about to try and fit a "Short Roof Rail" kit to my basic D3 which came without any rails at all....

Post #74859518th Jan 2011 10:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

BE WARNED, I did this and it ended in tears, there is an old post about it on here somewhere but I can't find it. The long and the short of it is that the plastic pegs are a pig to get when cold, they can and did in my case snap leaving half in, it is absolutely impossible to get them out without damaging them, so make sure you have some spare new ones to replace the front section you cut off. The fixing hex nuts need to be fitted using the correct torque settings, any deviation could snap them or render them unsafe, this happened with me as well, although I think it was a dodgy screw. You do wonder how on earth those nuts can hold the weight of the objects you place on the roof including sidewards G force Shocked

I gave up and went to the dealer to get it sorted as a broken nut and plastic stud needed drilled out.

Scary really, so take your time if 1st go, and make sure you warm up the plastic plugs if it is cold, or they WILL snap half in half out Wink

Post #74860118th Jan 2011 10:58 am
buzz569

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Yep, fitted some the other day. I didn't take the whole trim strip out, using a screwdriver very carefully i bent the edges of the black plugs up and then unscrewed them using small pliers. I only took the ones from the rear of the vehicle along the roof out, not the ones going down near the screen. Once I'd done this I pulled the the trim up, again from the back of the vehicle down to the point where it needed cutting. I then put a piece of old carpet on the roof but under the trim strip at the point where it needed cutting for protection and carefully cut it with a new hack saw blade. Bolted the rails in, popped the trim back in and job done.
For me this way avoided having to take the whole trim strip off. Hope it helps.

Post #74861718th Jan 2011 11:40 am
Thomas Reid

Buzz is it critical you cut the existing rubber exactly where the rail ends, 1525mm from the end or is there a bit of room for error?

Post #74862618th Jan 2011 12:03 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The front cover strip tucks under the rail so don't go short on that bit, a little longer doesn't matter as it will be under the rail Wink

Post #74862818th Jan 2011 12:05 pm
buzz569

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

As Discotres says, don't go to short. If you've left it to long it will foul the front screw so best to go on the fixed dimension but a few mm either way won't matter.

Post #74863618th Jan 2011 12:26 pm
Gazellio

Quote:
I didn't take the whole trim strip out, using a screwdriver very carefully i bent the edges of the black plugs up and then unscrewed them using small pliers. I only took the ones from the rear of the vehicle along the roof out, not the ones going down near the screen. Once I'd done this I pulled the the trim up, again from the back of the vehicle down to the point where it needed cutting. I then put a piece of old carpet on the roof but under the trim strip at the point where it needed cutting for protection and carefully cut it with a new hack saw blade. Bolted the rails in, popped the trim back in and job done.

Just used the method above to fit a set of Short Roof Rail to my D3 in under 1 hour with no problems. As stated above be careful of cutting the front strip too short. Also be careful of losing your torx screw into the inside of the rail if its not a magnetic holder - i did!. Managed to retrieve it (twice) using a heavily magnetised screw driver Very Happy

Post #74926719th Jan 2011 3:15 pm
Thomas Reid

Well just managed to fit the roof raills. 1 hour flat start to finish...

My only advice is to cut the trim 1530mm instead of the recommended 1525mm.

And.. most importantly, when taking out the plastic tabs that hold the existing trim in.... use a long nose pliars to grip the under side of them, and screw them out, dont try and force them or pull them out in one go.

Thanks for all the tips and words of advice guys, much appreciated. Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #74958920th Jan 2011 12:05 am
Gazellio

I also used the long nosed pliers to squeeze the plastic tab top and then gently unscrewed them without difficulty Thumbs Up

Post #74964920th Jan 2011 8:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >