Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rotational noise left side ? rubbing ? bearings? ideas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
George II

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Well had it in again for its service & they put the ear muffs on the diff & low & behold thay have found that its a noisy front diff - Today they got alliance to agree to the fix & so a new front diff has been ordered.
I have never had a diff replaced in any other vehicle I have ever owned & this one had the rear diff replaced about 30000 & now the front at 89000. thats hardly run in !! I am just glad I have the extended warrantee!
Hope this then sorts out the noise - will post again once its fitted.
thanks for all the ideas & info - the dealers hate it when you go in & quote other peoples experiances from a LR Forum - esp when they turn out to be right.
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #79840919th May 2011 1:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chrisalang

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It is more likely to be the inner CV joint which is attached to the diff than the diff itself, especially if the noise is like a wheel needs balancing. The inner CV's only come as a whole shaft. Dealer said my diff had a problem so I took the driveshafts out so have a look at the gear wheels and the CV fell apart.

Post #80145229th May 2011 3:42 pm
George II

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi again, well just got the D3 back from the Dealers today after they have had it 2 days to replace the front diff.
And YES the noise has gone. !!! I love it when you have to push them to do something & it turns out you are right & they really didn't have a lot of clues !!
So thanks to all on the forum who sent useful ideas on my problem & assisted in solving it.
Great outcome.
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #8050709th Jun 2011 12:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Nice one mate.....when I got mine back after a new front diff it was like a new car.....quiet and refined...was delighted and just glad you got the result you wanted in the end Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8050749th Jun 2011 12:31 pm
JayKay696

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

What next, my disco is ageing me prematurely Big Cry , in the last 2 months new rear diff, new front wheelbearings, new oil feed pipe, new turbo boost pipes, new A/T transmission oil.
Have the exact same sounds as GeorgeII.

Scraping noise starts at 75km/h with very light foot on accelarator, take foot off, noise gone, touch gas pedal slightly, noise back. Accelarate Hard, no noise.
In town makes same noise for 1 second only when foot comes Off pedal, Drive at slow speed, no noise, take foot off pedal, 1 second scrape. no noise in freewheel, no noice when stationary revving engine,

Noise stays present at 75km/h and up even when applying slight brake pressure whist keeping foot on gas slightly. Noise the same in Drive or commandshift through all gears.
Had it at LR Dealer and Indy, they hear the sound but cant find the problem.
You guys telling me its the front DIff? Will a oil change help?

Post #116234924th Sep 2013 2:33 pm
JayKay696

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Still the same problem.
Had the front diff oil changed en of September. lots of metal filings stuck to the drain plug.
Noise remained.

Just now had a new front diff installed, no change, noise still exactly the same.

Sounds exactly like a stone stuck between disc and disc guard.

Post #120501020th Dec 2013 8:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >