Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rotational noise left side ? rubbing ? bearings? ideas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
George II

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Rotational noise left side ? rubbing ? bearings? ideas?

Hi,
for a while now I have been hearing a rotational sound which seems to be coming from the front left side . I hear it more pronounce when on the very smooth roads . it also seems to be more when you have the accelerator on , ie it decreses substantially when you take your foot off the accelerator. It originally sounded like a sort of scraping noise (like brakes just touching) but now is more of a woomph,whoomph whoomph (lovely discription ) , its not overly loud but its there all the time, so you start to wonder what is going wrong this time !! took it in to the dealer & had the mechanic come for a drive with me , he could hear it but no real suggestions apart from tyres . So I have rotated my tyres and the noise is unaltered . While I had the wheel off I checked the brakes & all around and couldn't see anything loose or with a wear pattern .
so the question is has anyone esle had similar rotational/cyclical noises ? And for anyone who has had problems with wheels bearings , what sort of noise do they emmit when nearing the end.
Vehicle is up to 87000km and will be due for a service about the end of the month , so would like to have a few ideas to throw at the dealer (they are often not good at thinking of all the answers themselves)
The noise has been there for probably at least the last 5000km , but it does appear to be more pronounced now than when I first notice it. Another fact is i can't hear it when the windows are down !

Any feedback ond or words of wisdom on the subject would be appreciated.
Rgds.
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #78543113th Apr 2011 5:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Sounds sort of related....but I had a similar (ish) sort of noise....but it was when I lifted the accelerator.
I was sure it was the front diff and indeed it was.
Searching on here was told if the noise increases when you lift off,its the front diff,but if it decreases when you lift off,its the rear diff ?
Not sure if I am helping or inducing panic but might be worth mentioning when it goes in.If its on the ramp they should be able to turn both diffs by hand....if not,thats your culprit
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #78544713th Apr 2011 7:43 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

sounds wheel bearing related. Ive had 2 front and 1 rear bearing fail and each time the noise has been different.
But the noise you describe etc sounds like when my front left bearing failed. it sounded a bit like having a stone stuck between the disc and dust sheild but made a thudding type noise. Only made a noise when accelerating and couldnt be heard over about 20mph.

try driving alongside a wall with you windows down. the sound may echo back and help diagnose. worked for me Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Last edited by DiscoDunc on 14th Apr 2011 7:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #78545613th Apr 2011 8:12 am
George II

Thanks for the suggestions , I sort of feel that its not a diff noise no whinning , (had the rear diff replaced about 30,000km !!) but will mention it for them to check .
Again surely wheel bearings should last a long time - esp if there isn't much off road work . But if it was bearings wouldn't it get worse quickly ? I have noticed this noise for at least 5000km if not longer , certainly wasn't there at the last service.
Still will put forward that suggestion to the Dealer as well .
thanks
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #78581614th Apr 2011 7:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My wheel bearing failed between 85,000 miles and 110,00 miles. The last one (rear) went from "feeling" fine, to cataclysmic failure in about 600 miles !!

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50873.h...2Bnarbonne
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #78581714th Apr 2011 7:34 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

George - I just had the front wheel bearings (and steering rack) replaced today, at about 130,000km. The noise was there - but I initially thought it sounded like the tyres were out of alignment. In retrospect, that could have been a combination effect from play in the steering rack.

Anyhow, almost $2k repair job - and I finally got to use the Allianz extended warranty! Bow down

For those people having service done at Alto Land Rover - we will be sorry to see Fabio leave, tomorrow.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #78592814th Apr 2011 11:52 am
Zilch

Australia 

jonesy63 wrote:
For those people having service done at Alto Land Rover - we will be sorry to see Fabio leave, tomorrow

Chatted today this evening as he was leaving when i picked the sport up, going to the dark side, moving into Sales Whistle
 another Pommie from the darkside

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #78628315th Apr 2011 9:43 am
George II

Have noticed some uneven tyre wear on the left Rear when I did the tyre rotation a couple of weeks ago , & now I can notice the same on the new tyre that is on the left rear, so have booked it in for wheel alignment tomorrow , obviously for 2 reasons , to get the uneven wear sorted & also to discount an alignment issue being resonsible for the noise .
so will see how it goes , as if the nosie is still there after then they can sink their teeth into it when it goes for a service in a few weeks.
Post #78726418th Apr 2011 12:54 pm
George II

Had it at the dealers yesterday & they didn't get to do the wheel alighnment as they seem to have found the noise problem, looks like the front left bearing is on the way out & making the racket . So this is a good outcome , as they have identified the problem themselves without me having to coax them . The wheel alignment has been put on hold as apparently it will need to be done once the bearing is replaced anyway.
So just had the OK from alliance (extended warrantee) & so now just waiting for parts to arrive , another week or so due to easter.
will still make sure they check all the other ones at the same time & also listen to the diffs (just in case)
So hopefully problem is all in hand.
Rgds.
Post #78782420th Apr 2011 5:57 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

i would have looked to uneven tyre wear from the start. very well published problem. You will find that noise will persist until you rep;lace all tyres after wheel alignment, especially if they have already start to feather on the edges. I'm at 87,000 km's now on second set of tyres and do wheel alignment each year to keep them straight....
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #78944225th Apr 2011 12:39 pm
George II

Oh well , so much for thinking it was all fixed , got the vehicle back from the dealers today having had the left front wheel bearing replaced , and a full wheel alignment , and guess what - the noise is still there , & I think it may be slightly louder than before !!!!!
will have to wait till monday to let them know the news .
Its a definite more noise while foot in on the accelerator than when you take your foot off to coast .
maybe have to suggest the diffs again & see if there is any joy there. Or maybe its one of the other wheel bearings - always hard to tell exactly where some sounds/noises are coming from.
Its still a light whoomph, whoomph type noise .
so are there any further suggestions I should throw at the dealer ?
thanks.
Post #7935386th May 2011 1:19 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like the diff. I had a wheel bearing replaced and the noise was still there. Now I'm having a new diff fitted.

Post #7938026th May 2011 11:14 pm
George II

Will call into the dealer tomorrow & take the mechanic out for another drive. Certainly could be the diff with the noise mainly when it has load (foot on accelerator) & not much when coasting.
hope to get to the bottom of it soon , as I am getting nervous about long trips at the moment.
Post #7938217th May 2011 5:30 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep. Sounds just like mine.

Post #7938467th May 2011 8:48 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My earlier post.... Whistle
Wink
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #7938477th May 2011 8:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >