Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Rough Engine & Power Loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
knightma

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
i dont think you should lead people into beleaving that low or no oil on their dipstick is ok they may look prats when they tell the dealer some bloke on the disco3 forum says its ok

Read what I write. I didn't say it was OK, oil level even slightly below the low mark on the dipstick can lead to oil starvation when going round corners or on inclines but it will also be accompanied by the oil pressure light coming on (providing the sensor or bulb are not faulty).

Post #4853219th Mar 2006 4:17 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Let's keep it friendly, please. Smile

Whatever the views expressed, running the engine on low oil levels is not adviseable and, absent a catastrophic leak, might well result in refused warranty repair if that was the cause.

Post #4853319th Mar 2006 4:29 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Second that Winger.

For what its worth my TDV6 uses very little oil... never has even from new. Only needed half a litre the other day after a few K miles.

Dip stick on the D3 is very hard to read as the oil smears too much over it and its not exactly clear where the level is.

As Wingers says... this issue is more than likely not oil related. best let the dealer check it out - but always check the oil level weekly if you remember (I don't)

The engine is designed to be run at extreme angles as knightma says, so his suggestion of a safety margin below the min level on the dip stick would make sense either by design or purely because of the way the engine is designed for extreme angle use.

Again - defer to your dealer and have it looked at properly.

-s

Post #4853719th Mar 2006 5:12 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
results

it will be interesting to see the result of the dealer inspection the turbo is usualy the first componet to fail from lack of oil i would also insist on a oil sample report which will also show up any other damage, this is common practice in heavy equipment maintainace, so two owners have admitted to running low on oil one (cotefarmboy) was lucky(but dont be surprised if the turbo dont give up later)and added oil and his returned to normal running the other has added oil and it has resulted in better running but not solved it perhaps its to late and the turbo is knackered maybe the oil sensor has an issue faulty readings yes the engine is designed to cope with steep angles but thats with a full sump of oil manufactures dont calibrate a dipstick for no reason you could ask for a calibrated readings of oil pressure via a seperate gauge. if it came to you full of oil (unlikely)and there has been no puddles under it then it has a big problem Sad

Post #4858319th Mar 2006 8:00 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Macker wrote:
Checked the oil, which was very low and is now topped up

Alan, how much oil did you need to put in to bring it to the top marker on the dip stick?

Post #4860219th Mar 2006 9:07 pm
Macker

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

About 1&1/2 litres. The car hasn't been on any steep slopes or inclines since I took delivery. Bit Censored at the dealer for delivering a car with very low oil, but I guess I should have checked it.

I'm leaning towards the EGR or turbo problem - what I'm experiencing is very pronounced pinging or pinking during acceleration, combined with a lack of power. Also noticed a lumpy tickover when cold.

Thanks for all your advice - great website! I'll let you all know the outcome once the dealer has done his stuff ...

Alan
 TDV6 SE Auto, Zambesi Silver
+ Side Steps
+ Privacy Glass 

Post #4860719th Mar 2006 9:17 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

I think that you can be reasonably confident, then, that oil is not your problem, even though that is quite a lot of oil. However, even before you filled it up, there was at least 5 litres already in the engine........

When the engine management system detects a fault with the turbocharger, real or false positive, it fully opens the turbo vanes, resulting in minimum pressure boost. I think there is a good chance that this is the cause, though it may not be the turbocharger itself that is at fault. For reference, the turbocharger is a failsafe unit.

Post #4861019th Mar 2006 9:28 pm
Macker

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well, D3 went into dealer last Tuesday with a pretty detailed description of problem. After 4 days Rolling Eyes , I eventually picked up the car, which is now running as smooth as before. All the info I got back was that new software had been downloaded, which had cleared the faults, although they told me there is still one new patch to download - this won't be available at my dealer for another week or two.

Anyway, pleased to have my smooth D3 back, but still disappointed by MPG. Did a 200 mile motorway trip today at a steady 70mph (made sure I didn't rev over 2000rpm) and just managed to achieve 25.7mpg. Around town, still only averaging around 19mpg and I don't hammer it. Any thoughts? Will the new patch help?

Alan
 TDV6 SE Auto, Zambesi Silver
+ Side Steps
+ Privacy Glass 

Post #5015426th Mar 2006 8:32 pm
SN

It does sound like what mine did when I was getting my failure messages in the first week - incidentally it did it again today - first time in 4 weeks!!! Turbo drops off and it feels heavy and low powered. Turn it off, turn it on - all OK - I shall be approaching GS at my leisure to get them to sort it AT MY CONVENIENCE this time - i.e. I will not be without an equivalent vehicle for nearly 2 days this time.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5017126th Mar 2006 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Info on whats in the patch... in case it may be this. Turbo Vane issue may be your prob ???

• Discovery 3 / LR3 and Range Rover Sport TDV6 Turbocharger Variable Vane sticking (P Code's P0132-B, P0299, P0234 and P0046)

• Discovery 3 / LR3 and Range Rover Sport TDV6 Auto V Max revised calibration

• Discovery 3 / LR3 and Range Rover Sport TDV6 Auto Cold Start Poor Throttle response

• Discovery 3 / LR3 and Range Rover Sport TDV6 Slow speed stall

• Discovery 3 / LR3 and Range Rover Sport TDV6 Auto Scraping Dry Bearing Noise from Transfer Case Command Shift 3

• Discovery 3 / LR3, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover 06MY Blue Tooth Update to cover Nokia 6230i

Post #5017326th Mar 2006 9:11 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Macker wrote:
Anyway, pleased to have my smooth D3 back, but still disappointed by MPG. Did a 200 mile motorway trip today at a steady 70mph (made sure I didn't rev over 2000rpm) and just managed to achieve 25.7mpg. Around town, still only averaging around 19mpg and I don't hammer it.

I think that fuel consumption figure is probably pretty much on target. 200 miles at a steady 70mph in no way equates to the Extra-Urban figure that Land Rover quotes. The Extra-Urban figure is achieved over a short distance, and at an average speed of just under 40mph. Manufacturer fuel figures, whilst validly tested, do not replicate real world driving.

Further, all manner of other factors influence fuel consumption: fuel type, tyre pressure and wear, wind/drag, vehicle weight.....etc. etc.

Urban cycle figures are not even achieved on the open road...........

The very best long distance average I have achieved is 31.4mpg - that's with a manual, not an auto.

Post #5018626th Mar 2006 9:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Macker, 25.7 is not that bad. I'd be pleased with that.

Post #5021626th Mar 2006 10:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >