Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Rough Engine & Power Loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Macker

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rough Engine & Power Loss

I recently purchased an ex demo TDV6 SE Auto and so far very impressed - that was until toady Confused What was a beautiful, smooth engine has turned into a rough sounding engine that has to be worked hard to obtain the same power that I was previously getting easily. Fuel economy is also poor at around 19 mpg around town. Car has done about 9000 miles. No warnings are coming up on the message centre. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the TDV6?

Post #4843718th Mar 2006 7:11 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Sounds obvious but have you checked the oil? The engine seems to have a thirst for it and when mine had a low level it made the engine run rough. (no warning came on despite low oil)
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #4843918th Mar 2006 7:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Macker

Unnecessary quote removed

Andy, thanks for your fast reply. Checked the oil, which was very low and is now topped up - hope this hasn't caused any engine damage Crying or Very sad Very slight improvement in noise, but still feels sluggish and 'tappety' when compared to how smooth and quiet it was before.

Alan
 TDV6 SE Auto, Zambesi Silver
+ Side Steps
+ Privacy Glass 

Post #4844818th Mar 2006 8:33 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

if you have run low on oil it will do damage the oil light will only tell of low pressure you can still damage turbo,crank, shells etc without the light coming on Embarassed

Post #4845018th Mar 2006 8:50 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

It sounds to me like your turbo pipe has come loose. Exactly the same thing hapened to me on a brand new Range Rover TD6 a couple of years ago. The car suddenly turned into a Massey Ferguson (slow, noisey, black smoke, bag of spanners) and I really thought I had blown the engine. Turned out to be a loose clip that atached the turbo pipe. Pushed it back on and she immediately reverted to normal. Mind you, even as normal, compared to a TDv6, the TD6 was (and is) a bag of spanners Shocked
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #4846218th Mar 2006 10:33 pm
catoperator

wont make much differance if its got no oil in Idea

Post #4846418th Mar 2006 11:44 pm
knightma

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If the oil pressure light has not come on, the engine has not been starved of oil and the oil level, whilst low, can't have been below the level from which the oil pump takes its feed. I would suspect something else.

Post #4848519th Mar 2006 8:08 am
catoperator

sorry but that is not the case an engine can still be damaged by running low on oil even if the light does not come on the dipstick can be dry and the oil light will not come on but see how far you get driving at 70 mph have seen many machines with main bearings spun out, turbo bearings shot, etcjust becouse it has oil pressure at that particular spot on the engine where the sensor is located dont mean all is ok if a problem did arise and the engine dismantled it will be clear to see if it has had oil starvation its why it says danger low on the dipstick..... Idea

Post #4848919th Mar 2006 10:12 am
JMC

Scotland 

Macker, where did you get the D3 from?? I'm guessing Town and County, but wherever it was, I suggest you get back in there...... smartish Shocked

Post #4850419th Mar 2006 12:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Macker

I actually bought the car from Stratstone (Heathwood Land Rover) in London. This is the 3rd Land Rover that I haven't bought from Town & County, due them not being able to match the deals others offer. The car was delivered to me and I assumed (wrongly Embarassed ) that it would have oil in the engine! I'll book in to T&C tomorrow, but I'm also hearing a wooshing noise at certain revs, which may point to the intercooler or turbo??
Don't get me wrong, the car doesn't sound like a bag of spanners, it's just lost it's smoothness and some power.

Alan
+ Side Steps
+ Privacy Glass 

Post #4850619th Mar 2006 12:53 pm
catoperator

how long

how long have you owned this and what sort of milage have you done a new engine can use alot of oil at first but if you have done a small amount of miles then it was delivered to you low is it smokey Question

Post #4850719th Mar 2006 1:12 pm
Macker

Re: how long

Only had the car for about a month. It had done about 8,800 when I took delivery and I've done about 1,000 in it. The problem seems to have started in the last 100 or so. No smoke.

Alan
+ Side Steps
+ Privacy Glass 

Post #4851219th Mar 2006 1:43 pm
knightma

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
sorry but that is not the case an engine can still be damaged by running low on oil even if the light does not come on the dipstick can be dry and the oil light will not come on but see how far you get driving at 70 mph have seen many machines with main bearings spun out, turbo bearings shot, etcjust becouse it has oil pressure at that particular spot on the engine where the sensor is located dont mean all is ok if a problem did arise and the engine dismantled it will be clear to see if it has had oil starvation its why it says danger low on the dipstick.....

Catoperator,

What you write dosen't make sense. An engine has one oil pump that serves all parts of the engine that require oil eg main bearings, big ends, camshaft, turbo bearings etc. As I said earlier, as long as the oil level doesn't fall below the oil pump feed pipe, oil pressure and delivery will be maintained to all these components. There is a considerable safety margin between the oil low level on the dip stick and the level at which the oil pump sucks air. This is to account for taking corners and orientation of the vehicle.

I still don't think Macker's problem is low oil level if the oil pressure warning light didn't come on.

Post #4851919th Mar 2006 3:23 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I suspect the problem may be related to an EGR or turbocharger issue.

Post #4852219th Mar 2006 3:30 pm
catoperator

maybe you need to look inside an engine or two that has been run low on oil where the oil pressuer light has not came on an engine can and will be damaged if run low on oil i have seen and ran engines that sound like a bag of nails oil pressure light not on no oil on dipstick crank and mains etc ruined... that is the reason bulldozers etc are fitted with a scavenge pump etc if not when working on steep angles the momentarily loss of oil to the pump will not make the light come on or gauge drop but will ruin the engine and to quote cotefarmboy ran better after oil was put in Exclamation i dont think you should lead people into beleaving that low or no oil on their dipstick is ok they may look prats when they tell the dealer some bloke on the disco3 forum says its ok Laughing

Post #4852819th Mar 2006 3:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >