22%
 22%  [10]
No Warranty, deal with it when it happens
52%
 52%  [23]
Total Votes: 44

ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

I went WD and indy on my D3 and have "lost" an average of £100 a year. I can buy that piece of mind, given the cost of replacing the engine. If it blew tomorrow the £500 I'd have in my piggy bank wouldn't cover much.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #15735537th Dec 2015 1:01 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

lespes wrote:
Quote:
To the OP, why are your factoring in AA/RAC cover to the WD calculation? WD give you £250 towards recovery per claim.

was not aware of that, will have to see if they have included on my quote Thumbs Up

Yep, they also give you hire car for 7 days at £50/day, hotel cover of £250 per event and emergency travel of £250 per event.

Just added mine up there out of interest. Over 3 years (expires May 2016), warranty has cost me £1799, and paid out £1300. Just this morning I have booked it in with the dealer for what is probably a failed rear door lock actuator so im sure that will be £200 or more.

Post #15735777th Dec 2015 1:47 pm
Dave T

England 

Robbie wrote:

With 2 vehicle extended warranty would cost me around £1.8k a year. There is just no way that I have £18k of repair bills in every 10 year period. It would take a major run of bad luck to produce bills that approached half that amount and to honest I just cannot afford to have so much money haemorrhaging out of my accounts over many decades.

It doesn't take long to get there, I had one "claim" that ended up costing me around £10k which started with misdiagnosis and parts and ended with a replacement second hand engine along with other costs.

I had a warranty at that time but it never paid out (in part understandably).

I am now in a WD policy, but I'm not sure if I will renew it next year, depends on the trouble I may have I suppose. Whistle Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #15735817th Dec 2015 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I have done both....

Disco 3 now has over 100k on it & didn't take out a warranty...
Over the years since being independant:
Gearbox / torque converter at 90k.....was preventable by me swapping oil at say 40k & 80k.....might have got part payment
Suspension parts - various over the last two years....a common thing that might not have been covered.
Lots of brake discs....not covered
Blake pipes (flexible) at 70k.....not covered
Brake pipes rigid at 85k....not covered
AC pipes - (twice) 50k & 88k....not covered
MAF sensor ( page only time I have been stopped on the road) 95k.....might have got this on warranty
Numerous batteries....not covered.

My Jaguar has a warranty.
I was warned that one real engine fault can run into thousands even with servicing.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #15736387th Dec 2015 4:54 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

get a quote and then put the monthly premium plus a bit more into a savings account.

I had a WD policy which I used a few times but it was a bit of a hassle as WD had to approve each repair which always added delay to the repair. On one repair, the repairer had to go back to WD three times due to unforeseen extra costs during the repair and each time it took a couple of days before the approval to continue came through. I eventually came to blows with WD when they approved the commencement of a repair then refused to pay out. I won't bore you with the details but I had go to the insurance ombudsman who ruled in my favour and WD eventually paid out.

Much simpler to self insure but you do need the discipline of putting the money away each month and keep your fingers crossed that nothing major goes wrong early in the ownership period.

Post #15736517th Dec 2015 5:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >