Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

SA D3 owners unite! Your feedback and input required please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Re: Proud owner

Deondef wrote:
2) I need to get used to auto - there is definitely a lag when accelerating - but when it accelerates - this is testerone Censored stuff !
3) Did not have enough time not crawl underneath long enough - but did fit the tow hitch which even my wife remarked "is'nt it very low?" . Was very amused by the heavy steal thingamagigs dangling at the back - I assume this has something to do with levelling system. Where do I get the male adaptor for the white trailer coupling - it's centre pin is female whereas the normal one is male Question

Turbo lag can be solved by having Turbo Chip remap your ecu
http://www.turbochip.co.za/ and
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic9801.html

You will have to fit another towbar if you want to tow anything higher than a skateboard . I'm off to get mine tomorrow from BRS

Post #15845717th May 2007 8:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

HI Deon

Congratulations on your new addition!

I hope you post some pics of your new D3, and some places you take it over the weekend.
Once you get back, I am sure we will start hearing about what other mods you are going to make.......just like the rest of us Thumbs Up

Your dealer may be able to sell you the white trailer plug. I ended up modifying a spare plug with some Pratley putty.....but it works fine. Don't need it anymore since I use the Brad-harrison plug to connect to the trailer batteries.

In my opinion, the turbo-lag is sometimes exacerbated by the auto box, but bear in mind the transmission is adaptive, and should modify its response within the next 500km or so according to what I have been told. What I mean is it may get better as you drive it, so give it 1000km or so before you will see what it's really like.
In my opinion (and I have driven lots of auto 4x4's) the Land Rover auto-boxes are the best I have ever driven. I have a BMW Drivelogic and reckon they could learn a bit from LR.

As heine says. you can have the ECU remapped (by myself too!) to remove the turbolag (plus add power, torque, driveability etc.), there are lots of options available, all a bit different to the others, and no doubt one or more will suit your needs. There is a lot of talk (maybe too much Laughing ) about "chipping" or "chip-tuning" on this and other forums. Drive a modified vehicle and make your decision based on your own requirements. Join us next Friday at the Baron, and we can chat.

Post #15856218th May 2007 4:05 am
corne

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I fully support this - let us unite and improve the situation in South Africa.

Dealings with LRSA's customer support have so far always been a disappointing affair. I wish they would support their enthusiastic customers better.

Some dealers provide excellent service. While LR Stellenbosch sales people are not knowledgeable enough to sell a product as complicated as this, their technical people have always been very supportive.
So far I have found Land Rover Cape Town excellent - a number of their sales and technical people are members of the Cape Land Rover Club, and it seems Land Rovers and Land Rover owners are really important to them.

Good luck driving your Disco 3's! It is the best Land Rover I have owned so far. (Despite the CV joint problem I had 2 weeks ago...)

Post #15952320th May 2007 10:42 pm
Baben

OK, this has been open for a week or so, and this is a summary of the feedback I have, and a basic copy of the letter I will hand to the DP at Midrand today:

Summary of issues to be discussed with LRSA

Anthony Wxxxxxx
P.O. Box xxx
xxxxxx xxxxx
xxxx

082xxxxxxx
anthony@xxxxxxxx

As representative of a concerned group of South African Land Rover Discovery3 owners

1) Aftermarket parts approval:

a) Roof racks
b) Bullbars
c) Long range fuel tanks
d) Rear wheel carriers
e) Dual battery systems
f) Off-road tyres
g) Towbar
h) Steel rims
i) “Chipping” – (Turbochip / Torque Tune)

2) Spares kits for long cross-border trips
3) Direct communication with PR at LRSA, possible forum presence on disco3.co.uk
4) GPS maps for Africa or interface to Garmin maps
5) Nav on the move and other TSB’s

We are keen to work with LRSA in support of Land Rover products and will invest our own time and effort to assist Land Rover South Africa in improving support of our vehicles, the experience of driving a Disco3, and the reputation of Land Rover in Southern Africa.

Please let us have a written response to the above.

Sincerely

Anthony Wxxxxxx

Post #16061123rd May 2007 5:58 am
heine

Cool - works for me - thanks for the effort

Post #16062023rd May 2007 7:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

OK< had a good chat with Marius, and he has committed to take up the cause with LRSA. Thanks us for our good attitude, and promised to respond. He said he will try rget someone from LR to register on this forum, and get involved with communications to all of us.
He also offered to host some technical workshops where we can go and learn about the intricacies of the D3, what we can fix in the field, what we shouldn't touch, etc.

So, we hold our breath for a bit -

Post #16062223rd May 2007 8:11 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Baben,

Out of interest has anything happened regarding your communications with LRSA/Marius?

Post #18914114th Aug 2007 2:11 pm
Baben

After Marius's driver crashed my D3 our communication has been a bit strained.
I did ask him 2 weeks ago when I saw him, and also emailed him again to remind him, but I don't think we will get a response.

Those of you that said I was wasting my time seem to have been proved right.

Post #18914214th Aug 2007 2:15 pm
heine

f Censored k him - they're all the same , pretty much done all the things on your list in any case - maybe if you'd had a bullbar things would have been different Rolling with laughter

Post #18914414th Aug 2007 2:27 pm
Deondef

Guys - we must not give up on this !!

I will do the same as Baben through Sandton LR - I have quite a good relationship with them after the fuel filter thing and will spend some time with them hopefully this week still to check on the removal and replacement of fuel filter in the bush.

So far D3 going like a boeing after new filter - which btw has a different part number to 2006 and earlier models.

Post #18945715th Aug 2007 6:01 am
heine

Do you have an idea when you will be going there . I would like to join you

Post #18947115th Aug 2007 7:38 am
Richard SA

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Quote:
So far D3 going like a boeing after new filter - which btw has a different part number to 2006 and earlier models.

What is the part number for the 2007?[/quote]
 White LR3 TDV6 2007  
Post #18973015th Aug 2007 8:56 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post182244.html#182244 Wink

Post #18977915th Aug 2007 9:51 pm
Atacama

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Been away for a few days , so you guys seam to have most of the topics covered. Not much of a talker but if you need a body to make up numbers i am in.

Post #18988316th Aug 2007 7:36 am
Deondef

RichardSA

just to confirm what 10forcash stated - fuel filter part no: WJI500020 for my 2007 model.

I will strongly recommend that you still check on your vehicle which one is fitted before you purchase spare.

Heine and me visited LR Sandton today - can you believe they did not have spare filter in stock - this after I was told they are going to order a box full when they ordered mine. Mechanic explained that replacement of filter is easy - no bleeding required - but NEVER RUN DIESEL TANK DRY !!

Price is +- R700 - so I am now wondering whether I am going to purchase one or just take one as part of spares kit - which LR Sandton confirmed they will put together for D3. They will also supply spare wheel to take along as 2nd spare on same basis

Post #19020816th Aug 2007 5:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >