DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

sat nav calibration and dodgy backrest
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jamesie78

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
sat nav calibration and dodgy backrest

hello everyone,

i've recently bought a 55 D3 HSE for SWMBO (but really more for me!!) and am thoroughly pleased with the purchase!!

still getting to grips with all the various features but have a couple of very minor issues that affect an OCD guy like me so would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

i have tried to recalibrate the sat nav for position and direction as the navigation guidance does not seem to work correctly.

position appears to be ok although i am not sure if the position of the vehicle should be at the point of the arrow or in the middle of the arrow??

then with regards to the direction of the vehicle, when after adjusting by pressing the directional arrows to face in the direction the vehicle is actually facing, the sat nav reverts back to the previous incorrect diection. for example when actually pointing south, the arrow even after adjusting still points east. it's really got me baffled so would appreciate any pointers to remedy.

the only other issue i have had relates to the drivers backrest adjustment (electric adjustment).

on the first long run, the backrest would move by itself from a position tilted back towards upright to the point of fully forward / upright. when adjusting back to a position of comfort, the back rest would only then move in short increments ie. needing to tilt back several times rather than a smooth, steady and consistent operation.

i was advised by the techy guy at the independent dealership where i purchased to do a master system reset to fix the problem with the seat as it was probably a case of the computer getting all confused at somebody pushing lots of buttons after a mild spell of hibernation on their forecourt. this i was not totally convinced of but upon enquiring about this 'master system reset' found the operation to consist of the following;

disconnect the battery and bridge the wires with a metal spanner for a few minutes to drain the circuits of any residual power thus eureka = master system reset!!

as i've mentioned above, i am a delighted D3 owner but an OCD one at that so any assistance would be most appreciated.

i apologise if any of these issues have been covered on previous posts, i have searched but haven't found anything tht matches these problems entirely.

many thanks,

j.

Post #68349717th Aug 2010 10:24 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the forum, and congrats on becoming a D3 owner Thumbs Up

The vehicle position is at the tip of the point, within the circle of dots, calibration should be automatic whilst driving, manual calibration is done by positioning the vehicle at a known location, say a junction or back road and move the cursor until it is correct, the directional arrows move the map, the cursor will remain static and central.

This may help http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ration.pdf

I assume you have memory seats ? you shold be able to prgramme one of the 3 user buttons, not sure if a hard reset will delete any memory, but you are right,but wait until the vehicle has 'gone to sleep' i.e. the radio display and park brake light has go out first !!
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #68352717th Aug 2010 11:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamesie78

hi steve,

many thanks for the welcome and your reply. update on the problems below, i would still be grateful of any assistance..

i've booked the disco in to the garage on friday to check the seat problem. according to SWMBO it has only happened once in the last couple of days so hopefully it may be as simple as a loose connection etc.

with regards to the sat nav calibration, when i was adjusting the heading with the arrows, it was the pointer that was moving. after looking at the link you posted i have just noticed that the map orientation is set to north south. i have just checked again to recalibrate on both settings but it still isn't pointing in the right direction Rolling Eyes

the pointer definitely doesn't automatically recalibrate whilst driving as i was heading backwards when out for a run this evening!!

i thought about ejecting and reloading the dvd from under the passenger seat but came unstuck there also!! the front of the unit faces into the front passenger footwell but there is a plastic plate across the bottom of the seat which i can't figure out how to get off in the dark without totally smashing it!!

any advice would be well received,

j.

Post #68385318th Aug 2010 9:50 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The plastic front cover on the seat will come off if you tug it forward hard enough, it's just held on with clips, some of these may break though.
Having said that, if you slide the seat forwards a fair bit there is plenty of room to remove the disc without taking the plastic cover off.
Just make sure you slide the the little unlock tab over first.
 Clive

Post #68386518th Aug 2010 10:23 pm
jamesie78

thanks clive, i'll give it a go tomorrow night and see what happens.

j.

Post #68387118th Aug 2010 10:34 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

To eject the DVD, put the seat as far forward and as high as it will go, you can then reach in from under the rear fairly easily (well, in LR easy terms)

Would be worth seeing what year disc you have, maybe the latest (09/10) would help as this also updates the software Rolling Eyes

The arrow showing you as going backwards if def a new one, I'd blame SWMBO, she must has been fiddling whilst out Whistle
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #68387818th Aug 2010 11:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamesie78

hello chaps,

had the update after the D3 was in the garage today..

electric seat problem fixed - SWMBO didn't collect any report but they said it came up as a fault on the diagnostics and some part was replaced.

'yes the sat nav is a new problem' they said. SWMBO mentioned that i was considering upgrading to the latest DVD to which of course they agreed that might be a good idea. 'let us know how you get on with it!' serious words about keeping things close to your chest with the wife and a call back to the garage tomorrow to ask when they have the new DVD they should have ordered will arrive (at their expense of course!!).

still open to any suggestions in the meantime, thanks very much for the info you've kindly provided so far.

j.

Post #68455220th Aug 2010 9:45 pm
jamesie78

update on the above.

the seat problem came back after the memory module was replaced. i suggested checking the wires which turned out to be the problem.

when the seat base was lowered fully it was nipping some wires under the seat and with each bump etc the seat was moving by itself!!

sat nav still not resolved. the D3 is making it's way to the local dealership tomorrow for further investigation..

two new problems Laughing

front parking sensors don't seem to be working now
i think the microphone for the telephone is goosed

hopefully we will get there soon!!

j.

Post #68785131st Aug 2010 2:11 pm
jamesie78

case closed!!

D3 was up in the local dealership yesterday and we have been informed that all problems were as a result of an issue with some of the wires underneath the drivers seat.

SWMBO though did say with a heavy heart that the seat belt warning was on all the way home from picking up from the independent dealer. i have just been out to remove the drivers manual from the passenger seat et voila!! easy fix Laughing

woo hoo!!

thanks for your assistance, very much appreciated Thumbs Up

j.

Post #6891753rd Sep 2010 8:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >