DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

sat nav route choices
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
sat nav route choices

Chaps

how does the satnav pick its routes, as mine has an aversion to the A34. I regularly run down from J3 M5 to J4A of the M3, and do this by using the M40, A34, M4, A33, and then some minor roads via Hartley Witney/Blackbush. Not once has my satnav offered the M40, A34 route. On Saturday I needed to get to Southampton. Now the quickest way HAS to be M40, A34, M3 - No, it offered M40, M25, M3, and M5, M4.

I've got "use major routes" selected in route options. If I turn this off, it ignores all motorways.

Ideas?
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #55520123rd Nov 2009 2:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Al, If I know the rough route I program the destination in and if it doesnt offer me the route 'I want' I program a stop off in.

Ie, you would choose Winchester M3/A34 Jnc. Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #55520223rd Nov 2009 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just add a waypoint in the middle of the road you want to travel down Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #55520523rd Nov 2009 2:51 pm
al cope

England 

I'll have to try that - I could sort of understand the route dilema to my office, but not the route to southampton.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #55520623rd Nov 2009 2:52 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Set the destination and then go your own way until closer.

I generally ignore my sat navs route to London, Manchester, etc as I know the way there Wink Then when closer I follow the directions the the actual destination as this is generally the part I have never driven to before.

Unless the traffic on route is affecting my own decision making, the sat nav is only useful for an ETA and then final directions.

Post #55520823rd Nov 2009 3:03 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Am convinced the A34 had been missed off the Navteq mapping.

It is a route I use often and whatever mode fast short etc is used it will not bring up the A34.

As suggested make a waypoint as have tried everything else on the settings and have never found a solution.

When coming up from Southampton to northampton even if you ignore it instructing you to take the M3 then M25 M1 it continues to try and take back on this route up to just north of Oxford.

Strange really as it is one of the main testing routes for Landrover and Aston Martin and from memory is featured in the stat nav manual, would of thought that one of the testers would of picked it up. On the other hand it might be a p[loy to keep their test routes as free from traffic as possible Smile
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #55525223rd Nov 2009 5:24 pm
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It's pants. End.

I wish I could plug a TomTom into the screen instead.
 Andrew  
Post #55527723rd Nov 2009 6:27 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've have to say I am with Andrew on this one. The routes the in-built satnav suggests are nonsense. It really seems to hate the A34.

Going to Edinburgh Airport from Salford Quays last week it took me out of Salford, on to the M602, M60, M6, A74(M) (All good so far) M74 and then off the M74 at J6. Being a bit tired I failed to realise what it was doing and off I went. Anyone who knows this area will know I should have stayed on until J5 and taken the A725. The result was a tour of Motherwell and some very slow roads.

On the way back to Salford today it took me down the A702 and the bizzarley it wanted me to take the A72 towards Peebles to hook up with the A701. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I ignored this and kept on the A702. All was well until I reached the lower part of the M61 when it wanted me to come off at J4 towards Walkden. Ignoring that it then wanted me to take the East Lancs road instead of the M60 and M602. I found this very bizzare as in reverse it takes you this way.

The think that was accurate was the ETA. At 06:00 when I left it said I would arrive at 09:20. I was outside my office at 09:18. Laughing

Post #55533823rd Nov 2009 9:07 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine's often taken me down the A34 Shocked
Mind you; I almost always select another route choice by pressing the three routes button; one of these is usually much much better than the default...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #55535023rd Nov 2009 9:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >