Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Scratch (Blemish) Removal.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Scratch (Blemish) Removal.

My wife and I went to the Salvation Army Carol Concert last night and came out to find that the man with the White beard had dragged his sleigh along the side of the driver's door. Sad Nothing too serious, aggravating and thoughtless. Have tried "MER" which has removed the black rubber marks but will not shift the last grazing. Any ideas, please??

Post #10478426th Nov 2006 6:50 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Sorry to hear that. Sad
I have suffered this before and have used autoglym paint renovator then the high gloss polish which did the job.
Goodluck! Smile

Post #10478526th Nov 2006 7:03 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Autoglym

Autoglym is good, if that fails and you are very brave, you can very effectively use Brasso on a rag - you know the stuff in a tin. A body shop did this with my Mini Cooper and it worked really well.

Basically rub very lightly across the graze and this will soften the edges of the scratch. Paint renovator and or autoglym polish afterward will (did on mine) restore the finish. Note - I nearly shat myself when I saw the post Brasso, pre polish stage.....
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #10478626th Nov 2006 7:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Scratch Removal

Thanks for the replies.
90BHP you got my old grey matter moving. In 1954 (yes 54) I had a Triumph Herald Coupe which was lilac and white!! A bus went down the side and the tyre left a long black mark Went to the nearest Triumph garage and the chap came out with a gallon tin of Brasso and it worked a treat. I also seem to remember reading in the Autocar in the 50's that you should wash a car with water for most of the year and Brasso it once a year. I am not sure that I am that brave.
Thanks again guys.

Post #10483526th Nov 2006 9:47 pm
SN

Got my worst scratch today Evil or Very Mad

On the lower tailgate, a horseshoe shapped scratch which is going to need one of those color match jobbies I think.

Not another car or driver or any vegetation!

It was the bl**dy dog - opened the upper tailgate in the Etherow Country Park carpark and the little sh*t leapt straight out - was surprised to see how far he was from the ground and a claw on a scrabbling back paw did the damage! Evil or Very Mad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #10484026th Nov 2006 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
croyde

Thanks guys, I'll have to use the above suggestions to repair the massive keying to 5 panels of my D3.

It does not matter if it is not a perfect finish as the car has plenty of off-road battle scars but the keying looks ugly and tells everyone that I have been a victim of some mindless little thug.

Post #10499727th Nov 2006 1:22 pm
Ken

The white you see is the laquer dust any colour impregnated wax (not Polish) will mask it Polish cuts Wax dont its your choice

Post #10499827th Nov 2006 1:27 pm
KrZ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Found the following on diynot.com
Quote:
Very light scratchs & swirls - A good polish (Autoglym Super Resin or Mer etc) - they don't contain silicon like cheaper stuff can. Or Car Plan Colour Magic that polishes but contains a colour pigment that may help to mask a scratch.

Deeper more visible but not through paint - Try a cutting polish that will remove some of the surrounding paint and blend the scratch in, Autoglym paint renovator, Car Plan TCut/TCut metallic

Very deep but still not through paint - a more abrasive cutter, Car Plan cutting compound (almost solid stuff in a flat tin) or Mer Scratch remover (thick, in a tube)

If you are through to the primer or deeper (without rust) but the scratches are isolated and thin try Car Plan paint pencils, these are excellent and come in a pen like a felt tip but its REAL PAINT not like some crayon and pen maskers. Theses are not colour specific but the range has recently expanded to cover lights, brights, mids, darks, clear topcoats and metalics for most colours. Provided the scratch is not too wide you will never see it. (build it up above scratch then allow to fully set before using a cutting compound to bring it flat ) or very fine wet and dry - 1500 grit. Then a good polish to bring it back to a good finish.

Bigger scratches and rusted areas need to be fully prepared and the correct colour matched paint applied.

Post #10500627th Nov 2006 1:54 pm
KrZ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Got this info, might be useful

Post #10500927th Nov 2006 2:03 pm
Ken

U would be mad to try that method (sorry) Scratch masking removal is a skilled job leave it to the pro's. You may in all probability end up making it worse.

Swirll marks and Brush marks are easy, anything else really requires a mechanical fix these machines take a fair amount of practice to get right dont learn on your own car.

Post #10501327th Nov 2006 2:17 pm
cecilthecat

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Somebody once told me to go to Boots and get a syringe (yes they look at you a bit funny) then fill it with some touch up paint and run this along the scratch. You might need to do this a couple of times to build the paint proud of the original, then use something like T-cut to lightly rub the paint back to the level of the rest.

I have tried this on a couple of cars that have been keyed, and it works a treat.

Post #10519727th Nov 2006 11:40 pm
Pelyma

England 

We have discussed this a lot in the past. My brother in law used to prepare concept cars for motor shows so knows a bit about paint and he swears by a G4 cutting compound, if Mer doesn't get the scratch out. I would be very careful using old remedies as they often are not good for modern paints.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10527228th Nov 2006 10:09 am
Ken

Pelyma wrote:
We have discussed this a lot in the past. My brother in law used to prepare concept cars for motor shows so knows a bit about paint and he swears by a G4 cutting compound, if Mer doesn't get the scratch out. I would be very careful using old remedies as they often are not good for modern paints.

Agree G4 is one of the best but your Brother In Law is also a skilled operator and will know the limits, Use G4 incorrectly and its a world of pain leave it to the pro's

Post #10528128th Nov 2006 10:29 am
Pelyma

England 

I've used it by hand on an old red toymota, but I have to say I usually put on the useless brotherinlaw act (I do it so well Wink ) and he sorts it out with a mop. From listening to him it is very easy, particularly near shuts, to go too far Shocked so maybe you're right Ken
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10531228th Nov 2006 12:36 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I suppose with metalics etc you are only really polishing the laquer and not the colour, so if you are trying to correct something that has damaged the colour it is a very dodgy line that you are pushing.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #10531728th Nov 2006 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >