Screaming EPB Desperation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Welshthomo

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Screaming EPB Desperation

Big Cry

Hi all, new to this so here's hoping.

I've read avidly the entries re EPB and screeching and it seems that if you are hopeless when it comes to being mechanically minded you have to involve dealers.

I'm currently out of MOT and currently off road so desperately need to check what other options there are in getting a fix beforre comitting myself to the wrath of the dealerships.

Any support/guidance would be most appreciated.
 Helping them to help themselves - Action For Relief In Coastal Areas  
Post #69284914th Sep 2010 2:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mapleleaf 123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I too have no mechanical knowlege of such things nor any tools for that matter, I took mine to a local LR independant who cleaned and adjusted the system, no problem since.

The whole job cost something like £75.

I realise you have a problem with no MOT etc but anything would be better than going to a LR dealership.

Sorry I can't be more help.
 Why buy a car when you can buy a Land Rover.....because I'm worth it.

D3 TDV6 SE
Silver with black, privacy glass, side steps, parrott and powered iPhone holder. 

Post #69285314th Sep 2010 2:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You can do a simple adjustment of the EPB if you know how to take the wheels off and use a screwdriver and a socket set.... See my Brake Bible in the link in my sig. Thumbs Up

Although if you've got a faulty actuator, it won't help I'm afraid.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #69285414th Sep 2010 2:26 pm
Welshthomo

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Banging Head
Thanks for the replies guys.

Looked at your brake bible Bodsy - I'm a bit of an IT man myself and have a blindness for practical, tangible things. I see the pictures and read the words but it just doesn't come togetjer for me. I guess that's why garages exist. I applaud your work though and it must prove invaluable to the more practical amongst us.

Just had a quote/estimate from an independent LR and it's around £600 does that seem fair - anyone?

Anyone know of a good independent in South Wales
 Helping them to help themselves - Action For Relief In Coastal Areas  
Post #69310515th Sep 2010 11:16 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

£600!!! What does that actually include...?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #69310715th Sep 2010 11:31 am
mapleleaf 123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

£600 sounds a lot to me, what has he quoted for?.
 Why buy a car when you can buy a Land Rover.....because I'm worth it.

D3 TDV6 SE
Silver with black, privacy glass, side steps, parrott and powered iPhone holder. 

Post #69315215th Sep 2010 1:14 pm
loopyles

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have just had a quote of £600 + the independent said £350 ish for the actuator if I can get one, then you have to replace the small brake shoes and so on, what small brake shoes ? + labour + VAT he nearly had me in tears by this time, has to go in Monday so I have asked if they can clean and adjust first. Fingers crossed the car has only done 29k and very rarely use the EPB as she is an auto.

Post #69360316th Sep 2010 5:52 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Wow thats a lot Shocked

Maybe contact our sponsor 10forcash who is an independant that travels. He can come to you and will be able to give you an honest appraisal.

Post #69363416th Sep 2010 7:30 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Just my thoughts -

I have had several instances when I have had a 'screamer', I have been told on several occassions by the dealer that it needs a new 'unit' and its going to cost at least 500 quid if not more.

I have adjusted it (twice) over the last 30 k and it has worked fine on both occassions.

It recently started 'screaming' again so I had the rear brakes stripped at my mates garage and we found the rear brake shoes ont he drivers side were 'metal to metal'.

It appears you can only get new ones from the dealer so I parted with 110 quid (did both sides) and put new shoes in, adjusted and put back together.

No problem ever since and no sign of that new 'unit' I keep getting told I need!

Bit like the new turbo I was told I desperately needed about.. oh.... 30 k ago!

My advice, don't ask a dealer their opinion, they will always offer the most expensive option, find a local independent (in my case just a good local mechanic) and try to fix it first - it was invented by humans so can be fixed by them rather than just replaced.

The hardest part of the whole fix... getting brake shoes from Landrover as they were on back order so they had to phone around to find some within their dealer network.

Post #69365216th Sep 2010 8:04 pm
Divlar

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I've had mine screaming a couple of times now but only needed adjusting. Did it myself last time (after a day mud wading) following info on the forum. Only took an hour which I thought good considering first time?

I use it all the time, perhaps too much. I think i'm developing an Oooh EPB Ahhh fetish - get some kind of buzz out of using it and it working!

Post #69366016th Sep 2010 8:17 pm
markyd

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks to Bodsy's brake bible Bow down and one or two other forum posts, I fixed the EPB other day despite being pretty mechanically inept myself. It had been screaming on and off for a while - I think my habit of applying it before the car has come to a complete halt hasn't helped.

Finally got a call from the wife to say that the car was bonging and flashing at her and that the EPB wouldn't work. Apparently she was finding hill starts a little challenging. Adjusted the EPB that evening - all you need is a socket set (22mm from memory) and a flat bladed screwdriver. Took about an hour and two cups of tea. One point to note - after reassembling and running the car, the EPB still reported a fault and wouldn't work - it was two days later before it finally cleared. Seems perfect now (why isn't there a fingers crossed emoticon?). Can't believe that it would take a proper garage any more than half an hour to do.
 ---------------
MarkyD 

Post #69367416th Sep 2010 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >