Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Seat & Headrest Design problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
dochummer

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

ronk wrote:
Sitting posture is fine for me but oh how I miss an arm rest! When I had a test drive I didn't notice that the 'S' was devoid of a drivers seat arm rest.

That sucks! - Of course, the arm rest does get in the way of buckling the seat belt. I usually end up putting the armrest up out-of-the-way... Smile
 2005 Zambezi V8 SE  
Post #10292719th Nov 2006 5:38 pm
phoenix

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
seats in an S

at 6 ft tall and not as flexible as i once was i too could not get comfortable in ours, a manual S, and my wife suffered hip pain especially when driving. after some thought i realised the seat base is flat or even sloping forward when raised so i cured it by raising the front of the seats using some spacers that i knew were used under the back of metro front seats. i retrieved some from a dead one that was handy and they are about 30 mm tall and i used the long bolt with a lock nut in the hole in the seat runner just behind the front mounting bolt. the results are beyond belief. i often drive it 650 to 850 miles in a day and find it really comfortable. it is cost effective and i can return it to standard when it is time for someone else to enjoy it

Post #10467825th Nov 2006 8:21 pm
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Phoenix, have you got some Pic's & what the hell happend to the D3 in your gallery Exclamation Shocked
 Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #10468125th Nov 2006 8:52 pm
phoenix

i will take some tomorrow of the seat modification that i did and put them in my gallery but i bear no responsibility for any warranty or other issues, problems or liabilities that may occur if you copy my idea. it will be the one in the pictures now healed and healthy and now having done another 10,000 trouble free miles of which about 7,000 have been towing up to 3.5 tons, since the FBH caught fire about this time last year with previous owner, who refused to have it back so i managed to buy it from the lease company and rebuild it. it has even revisited the Tesco carpark where it caused such distress but unlike the owner the disco does not seem to be afflicted by post traumatic shock syndrome. its only problem is keeping below the 90mph cruising speed it seems happiest at on the Motorway, and thats with a car on the trailer.........................

Post #10468725th Nov 2006 9:23 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Welcome back! Yours were some of the first photos I saw on the site & wondered what the hell I'd done. Needless to say the right thing! Thumbs Up

Post #10468825th Nov 2006 9:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes welcome back Pheonix, I was thinking about your car the other day, when someone on here was posting about an FBH that won't shut down Shocked

They have not been back so must be OK Wink

Post #10469725th Nov 2006 10:13 pm
SIMON C

Wales 2008 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

After swoping a RRS for aD3 i find the seats sooooooo much nicer (both SE) the D3 is much more comfortable

Post #10470025th Nov 2006 10:27 pm
D'arkuk

phoenix wrote:
i will take some tomorrow of the seat modification that i did and put them in my gallery

Thanks Phoenix Thumbs Up
Post #10475926th Nov 2006 1:22 pm
phoenix

i have not been away but only look on the site every ten days or so and had not seen anything that needed my input but on finding and reading how others with poverty models like my S also have experienced difficulties with the comfort level i decided to share my discovery (pun intended) and i have posted a couple of pictures of my modification. they may not suit you but if you want to go this way you need the bits from 2 cars i.e. one metro has 4 of the spacers, two under the rear of each front seat. you also need a torx bit in your screwdriver or socket set to remove them if you can not find a metro as even though they held about 8% of the UK car market at one time most have been melted down and turned into Disco3s, it would not be too difficult for a machine shop to turn up the spacers but the holding down bolt must be a suitable high tensile one. i used the metro ones as they are obviously fit for the purpose.
i loosened the back nuts and removed the front ones. i placed the spacer under the stud and the second one behind it with the long bolt through it with the original nut replaced underneath it and then retightened the rear ones. my teenage son could do it without removing the seat when we did the second seat (teenagers have their uses sometimes) after proving the first worked and then finding another metro grave to rob but i had to remove the main mounting bolts so that i could get my hand and small socket in when i did the drivers seat. i have done about 10,000 miles like this and it has really worked for me as my longest stint was 860 miles in 20.5 hours and still was able to walk. previously i was experiencing severe discomfort after only 100 miles or so and concidered selling it and getting a low mileage disco 2 or RR Classic again as i can drive them for hours without problem.i have very little feeling down my left leg and have other health problems so the seating position in any vehicle is of paramount importance to me, much more so than normal fit and healthy people. i usually have automatics but the disco clutch is so light it is not a problem driving this vehicle.

Post #10477626th Nov 2006 6:03 pm
D'arkuk

Fantastic Phoenix thanks for the Pics Thumbs Up
Post #10477826th Nov 2006 6:13 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

dochummer summed it up well for me. I found that when the seat was in what felt like the right upright position, that my head was touching the headrestraint and my kneck ached. By leaning the seat back slightly, it (the kneck ache!) disappeared and I eventually got used to the seat angle - not much different overall, but enough to take away the kneckache.

Now about for my aching hips.....but that is probably a matter for another thread. Not sure if its the way I get in and out of the car (damn side steps), or the seat! Never had aching hip joints before the D3.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #10483326th Nov 2006 9:46 pm
william watson

United Kingdom 

I have a TDV 6 HSE, drove thousands of miles in it and my back is fine, I to have had some bother with my back in the past, the disco makes it no worse. I think the problem is the electric seats can be adjusted to any position you want and does take a wee while to get the seat into your own comfy position. I also don't have any problem with the headrest.
I am 5ft 10'' 15 stone. Very Happy
 Disco 3 2006, HSE tdv6 / Java black R/R sport HSE  
Post #10488226th Nov 2006 11:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phoenix

[ Never had aching hip joints before the D3.[/quote]

and neither did my wife. i note your is also an S model like ours and i also suspect the problem is worse on manual transmission vehicles as well. the lucky people who have the higher range vehicles with the electric seats have more movement in them and can set the angles better and i assume the front of the seat lifts up as well.the people that are happy with their seats seem to be the owners of "posh" models not poverty models like mine. on my S the front is the pivot point as far as adjustment is concerned and if you raise the seat on the lever, now that it has been repaired under warranty, it just raises the back and tilts the base forward so the front is lower than the back and you are constantly stopping yourself sliding out. i know of no other car seat, household or office chair that slopes forward and i conclude it is a design defect. my fix is a bit heath robinson but it cured my wife's bad hip. with about 30 mm under the front it now sits level and is really comfortable. i would actually like it to tilt back a bit but i do not think the mechanism would flex any more. it really needs a properly designed wedge shaped rail under it to set the angle properly

Post #10500427th Nov 2006 1:49 pm
dochummer

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I have the SE model - power seats - the seat only tilts forward, pivoting at the front....
 2005 Zambezi V8 SE  
Post #10521928th Nov 2006 12:55 am
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

dochummer wrote:
I have the SE model - power seats - the seat only tilts forward, pivoting at the front....

Odd. I have the 2006 SE model too. The driver seat is six-way - it pivots at both the front and the back, allowing you to adjust the seat tilt and height. The same is not true of the passenger seat. It only pivots at the front. Both, of course, have the seat back rake control.

If there weren't the false pedal on left side, I'd probably have serious problems staying comfortable in the seat, but I've now driven it a couple thousand miles with no significant discomfort. It's not as comfortable in some respects as my D1 was - its simple manual seats were very hard to beat. But the headrest is better placed - a great improvement for me at least (6'1").

Post #10523228th Nov 2006 3:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >