DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Serious battery drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Swoz3

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Serious battery drain

Hello All,

Have a problem down under here that one or some of you may be able to shed some light on. Searching us here and the Australian AULRO forum, I can't find a similar issue: My 2005 TDV6 D3 has started flattening its battery very quickly while turned off; within a day or so a few days ago, and today six hours after installing recharged battery. Battery is a 20 month old Exide 820CCA as spec for this car.

Problem first noticed on Tuesday morning as a slightly sluggish start, drove 100 km and left the car all day, started again ok (can't recall that start's characteristics) and drove back 100km. Thursday morning (40 hours after switch off Tuesday) no start, dash lights/symbols flashing, voltmeter said 10.34 volts. Removed and charged battery (as advised by battery supplier who I called for advice) until green light on my charger lit as fully charged - where it read 13.69 volts. Friday morning battery sitting on bench read 10.79 volts, suspecting battery breakdown, I took it (in a different vehicle) into supplier for them to check and discuss solutions. Supplier charged battery with their machine and load tested it, which it passed no problem. They had been quite prepared to replace it under warranty, but it stacked up. Battery read 12.75 volts after two load tests, and I brought it home.

Installed battery this morning and worked ok, started with normal flourish of a full battery and showed 14.35 volts charging. However, during a 15km drive it did exhibit a slightly sluggish start on the one start in that drive around. Returned home, turned it off and left it for 6 hours (unlocked), tried start again to no avail, battery reads 10.68 volts.

Last weekend I drove the car on some very bad corrugations for about 20km of 100 km of gravel road and track driving, which may have messed something up. BTW the quite wonderful car has done just shy of 440,000 km, so its pretty well run in.

What do you think, a serious drain somewhere, or a crook battery that cheated the load test?

Thanks in anticipation.

Nathan
 Swoz3  
Post #192712417th Mar 2018 1:42 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like there's a fault with the battery and one cell is shorting out, this would drop the overall voltage by around 2 volts.

Land Rover batteries should be a minimum of 850A CCA so it could be that you're overstressing the battery each time it starts.

Also, I've heard in the past of short circuits between the terminals due to contamination on the surface of the battery. If you charge it off the vehicle and leave it to stand for 24 hours, what reading do you get?

It can happen that a battery is faulty, hence why they normally have a minimum of 3 years warranty.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #192712717th Mar 2018 1:52 pm
Dillon

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If it's gone from 13.69 down to 10 something overnight on the work bench I think you have found your problem!!!

Post #192713817th Mar 2018 2:12 pm
Swoz3

Thanks Tiger and Dillon,

Looking like it is the battery, despite the load test. Battery in car is at 8.69 volts this morning having sat overnight. Will get onto supplier and see what a difference a new battery makes.

Cheers
 Swoz3  
Post #192743017th Mar 2018 11:25 pm
urhunden

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Have a TDV6 MY 08. Got the same problem. A one year old Bosch battery. After having left it at the airport a few cold cold days the battery was all empty when picking it up. Got help to start and drove an hour home. Next morning empty. Charged an hour with an ild charger and could start. Charged again in a garage for a couple of hours and when home outside over night. No real success. GAP IID showed over 14 V when driving. Had to buy a new battery (same bosch) and everything works fin. Even after real cold nights. Returned the old battery and they are investigating if I will get back the mobey for the new battery.

I think it is exceptional if a battery breaks down after a year. Will something happen if an empty battery is outside in minus degrees?

Post #192767118th Mar 2018 4:06 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dillon wrote:
If it's gone from 13.69 down to 10 something overnight on the work bench I think you have found your problem!!!

Thumbs Up
How long did your supplier leave the battery after charging it to testing it? - a freshly charged battery will give false readings, they need to be left a minimum of three hours before accurate tests can be made.
Leaving your Disco unlocked will not help your battery. If you have a cubby box fridge make sure it is switched off when the engine is not running, they will drain your battery very quickly on s D3.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #192767918th Mar 2018 4:24 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

We have a charging system that fully discharges battery before recharging we then have to leave 24hrs before testing and printing out the test results as part of warranty claims and if we don’t do this procedure the manufacturer will not except the claim

Post #192771918th Mar 2018 5:27 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Or even accept the claim. Embarassed
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #192775818th Mar 2018 6:43 pm
Swoz3

Thanks All,

Appreciate your experiences and expertise.

Battery is going back to supplier this morning, they are keen to make sure its sorted. Its a 400km round trip Sad , when in there on Friday they only had several hours to charge and test the battery before I had to had back home. Hindsight being what it is, should have left it there...

Will post the outcome.
 Swoz3  
Post #192790719th Mar 2018 12:53 am
Swoz3

Forgot to say that the battery was load tested several minutes or so after charging, it was still quite warm.

Cheers
 Swoz3  
Post #192790919th Mar 2018 1:04 am
Swoz3

Outcome was that the battery was cactus, test after leaving it for 24 hours after I charged it showed the failure. Supplier provided a new one under warranty and D3 all good and happy now. This event may help others if they experience similar battery related trouble.

Cheers
 Swoz3  
Post #192824620th Mar 2018 12:57 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

when I saw you had an Exide I did wonder if that would be the outcome

Post #192837120th Mar 2018 12:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >