Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Service Due- do I update gearbox ecu software?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Service Due- do I update gearbox ecu software?

Ladies and gents,
End of the week my 13 plate D4 goes into the main dealers for first service...I've been 'slightly' troubled by the gearbox hesitation issues but before I get them to update the software I would like to hear from others who have received the updated version and hear their honest opinions whether it is worth having done or would they have preferred to remain with the early version... All opinions gratefully received...
FC...

Post #115968118th Sep 2013 8:46 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Interested in this too. I know that some have posted an improvement, others not so sure and I think one fine chap has reverted to the old software.

Like FC I am thinking of getting this done soon.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #115968718th Sep 2013 8:55 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I only had a couple of instances of "hesitation" when the gearbox got caught out,but got the update.....the car is keener to change ratio than before,and overall I'm pleased
I would probably agree with DG (who isn't that enamoured) that the gear change is not quite as smooth as before,but its not intrusive and is outweighed by the benefits.I have not noticed any increase in fuel consumption
It has since reverted to holding lower gears longer again from cold,but I have put that down to the reset adaptive box re-learning my style
Just my view Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #115970718th Sep 2013 9:23 pm
Farmer Chalk

Interesting as per previous comments there were mixed opinions...some thought it was better and some reverted... I'm no longer a faster driver and quite happy to pootle along and thus prefer a smoother driving style rather than an all or nothing snappy gear change... Thus I don't want to become Carlos Fandango ... Which is why I thought the original car had a problem.. It would suddenly chuck it down a gear and the progression suddenly became frenetic....
Does the new software make it smoother or more inclined to change down and accelerate??

Regards to all FC

Post #115972618th Sep 2013 9:44 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I hadn't really experienced the hesitation but decided to have the update done, no bad points for me, the update does seem to have livened up the gearbox which is noticeable when pressing on Whistle
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #115974018th Sep 2013 10:15 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had the update done a few months ago.

Pick-up from a slow rolling start is definitely improved but I still have lag from a standing start.

My typical problem is trying to get out of our car park at work. I'm often trying to turn right in to queuing traffic. When someone in the queue is kind enough to let me out I have to quickly nip out through a gap in the flowing traffic from my right.

My previous car was also a 3.0L V6 Auto 4x4 (not a LR). It would spin all 4 wheels from a standing start if I buried the accelerator in the carpet but the D4 thinks about it for a moment then pulls away gently then thinks about it again then proceeds sedately for a moment before unleashing it's wrath on the tarmac and launching up the road at escape velocity!

All considered, I'd say the update is an improvement but it hasn't fully solved the problem.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #115978418th Sep 2013 11:38 pm
Farmer Chalk

That's a brilliant description! There is a certain roundabout in Sevenoaks which seems to catch my car similarly! The exit has a very slight incline which as you are entering smoothly and flowing with all other traffic you slightly depress the accelator to exit....but normally the car chucks it into a lower gear and kicksdown leaving apparently driving like an idiot!! The passengers particularly swmbo look at you with a WTF look on their faces thinking I've lost the plot! I'm trying to explain its the car with no joy!

Post #115980919th Sep 2013 6:37 am
Dave T

England 

For me it's not the standing start but when slowly moving, maybe speeds up to about 5 mph. I have had the brake switch adjusted and the update twice and I have not seen any difference. I have driven another that has had it done and it felt totally different, a vast improvement.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #115981519th Sep 2013 6:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >