DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

shall i buy one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
shahtz

United Kingdom 
shall i buy one?

hi all!

god theres a forum for everything nowadays! (THANK GOD!)

anyways i have been in a dilemma for a few months now

i have a zafira which has served us well for 5 years now and we have had it since new and only covered 41k............ anyways i have been at a loss as to what to replace it with?

dont like the new zafira and my wife and father both think its time to go for a 4x4

i would want the 7seats again as i have four children (14,13,9 and 4) and need the practicality of an estate for shifting things about

anyways ......... my famiily like the audi q7

i dont as i think the back row of seats are just a token gesture - no leg room for adults

the other option was the merc gl e320 - it may be a bit too dear as well as big - but still an option

but what i really like the look of was the land rover sport - but sadly my practical sense discounts it as it can only have 5 seats

so i left the land rover brand till i saw a gorgeous black dicovery3 in black, with all windows (back ones) tinted black

i had to have a look at this model too

so i looked at the shape and thought i didnt like it as i thought the shape looked like a sport with a box attached - this only looks like this on light coloured disco 3s

on a black it looks like one unit and more appealing to me

it has seven seats and they can fold for huge loading space?

so here i am with a dilemma

shall i buy one as i really like the look of this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0424597926

can u owners out there recommend this car and what thinks shall i look out for

are there any common faults or failings on this car

and yes this will be my first foray away form the jap and german brands

what would u do

any help or comments would be appreciated

thanks

shah
 shall i buy a disco3?  
Post #62424220th Mar 2010 7:24 pm
jojim65

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Don't worry plenty of advice will follow mine.

D3 must be 3 times the weight of a Zafira and 20 times as good. It's a very big comfortable car with capabilities that will leave you open jawed. It's not cheap to run, It's not cheap to service. Tax is pretty high too.

I bought one not because I have ten kids, four dogs and a horse but because I drove one and couldn't see myself in anything else. It's never gone wrong. My dealer is first class.

But for you, when the chips are down and it's pouring with rain on a horrible night miles from home what would you prefer to be in with your wife and children.

But please don't buy one on ultra low tyres or black unless you like cleaning it.

Post #62425220th Mar 2010 7:58 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Go on get one if you need to know iam over the hill in OSY Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #62425520th Mar 2010 8:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shahtz

United Kingdom 

RLD wrote:
Go on get one if you need to know iam over the hill in OSY Whistle

excellent down to earth advice chaps!

thanks for that

i dont mind the increase in running costs etc

but what i dont want to end up with loads of unnecessary trips to dealerships for correcting faults - not because i cant afford the money but because i dont have the time!

up in ossy eh - if i end up buying this one i will bring it up

thanks for the advice

another quesition - black means lots of cleaning no probs there as i have own jet wash etc and lots of kids who need pocket money!

but what about the 22inch wheels with low profile tyres - will they affect the ride comfort or steering on the ds3?

cheers Wink
 shall i buy a disco3?  
Post #62427020th Mar 2010 8:27 pm
jojim65

My very personal opinion is ultra low profile tyres do nothing for it's ride which is oil tanker smooth on 19" wheels. Plus what spec is the car you are looking at? I can see the body kit but notice it's a manual and without arm rests. So assume it's SE or lower.

I haven't a clue what you should be paying but plenty on here with a better idea, hang around you will learn a lot, I did!

Post #62428220th Mar 2010 8:39 pm
madtam

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I am a bit new to D3 ownership as I have had one for just a month but so far am well pleased with it. I have 3 kids so didn't absolutely need the 7 seats except that there seem to be loads of occasions when you end up taking either schoolmates or maybe Grandparents as well as the family and taking 2 cars is rather environmentally unfriendly. I had a series of Zafira's as works hacks when I was out on the road and my own car was an early Discovery so I have had chance to long term test these back to back. Whilst the Zafira was always a nippier car than the old Discovery the new one would be a pretty similar match in some ways. The Discovery beats the Zafira hands down on just about everything else (especially fuel usage !!!, close to twice as much fuel).
OK it's only been a month but I have no regrets even though it has practically bankrupted me Shocked
If your kids are anything like mine they will appreciate the choice as apparently it's a cool car?

Post #62429920th Mar 2010 9:14 pm
Inuit

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have had mine about a month and was worried about how good it would be to drive as i am a bit of a petrol head. Have to say i love it, it drives really well.

I was abit worried when i read all the things that can go wrong, so i would invest in a after market warranty of some sorts.

Black is a pig to wash, took me 2 hours last weekend to get rid of all the smears and water marks, just need to invest in some different car shampoo etc. Worth it though.

They do make you spend money - already bought it a roof box, bike carrier, custom load space cover and a few bits to bling it up.

The one on ebay looks nice, but think i would advise losing the 22", i am a real style over practicality person, but think the 22s whilst look good would not make it a great ride.

Take your time find a nice one, do not think you will regret it.

Post #62432920th Mar 2010 10:25 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yea go for it brill motor,not sure on the black though Sad

Post #62435320th Mar 2010 10:54 pm
shahtz

United Kingdom 

excellent guys thanks for the honest views

ok

next question

what should i bid for the one on ebay

its just that i still have the show off side of me and and i like dolled up cars! Twisted Evil

so is the manual bit a problem

i dont usually like autos but is it better for such a big car to be auto?

any views greatly appreciated
 shall i buy a disco3?  
Post #62435420th Mar 2010 11:01 pm
jojim65

Don't be too taken in by the body kit. It doesn't add value and it can disguise a low spec car.

Find out what spec the car actually is and then we can give you an idea on price. Manual or Auto is your preference. I prefer an auto on a luxury car and the discovery is well suited to it. Have you driven one?

Post #62436320th Mar 2010 11:08 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

shahtz wrote:

but what about the 22inch wheels with low profile tyres - will they affect the ride comfort or steering on the ds3?

cheers Wink

No you should'nt buy one, put the Autotrader down and walk away.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #62442021st Mar 2010 8:43 am
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It'd look great on your local supermarket carpark Whistle

Post #62442121st Mar 2010 8:50 am
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Whatever you buy, make sure that you get a decent warranty. It's impossible to check all the features of the vehicle prior to purchase unless you pay for someone to take along a diagnostic tool and spend a couple of hours going through all the electrickery.

LR's own "Select" warranty does not get good reviews on here and I'm not too impressed with the "Approved" warranty either - I'm in the process of arguing about the auto gearbox on mine. Most independent garage warranties will not cover you for the bits that go wrong on these vehicles.

With reference to auto / manual selection, I hate autos and I love this 'box. It's nearly always in the right gear.

Colour - black is always dirty. So mine is always dirty... LR have designed some significant hiding places for mud - and some of that mud hides in quite important places (intercooler, suspension compressor, etc) so you'll need to get familiar with the underside regardless of your chosen colour.

You'll also have to get used to an aching jaw Mr. Green

Post #62497822nd Mar 2010 11:38 am
leemcfc

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i had a range rover sport black with 22" black rims it looked the dogs but when it snowed and rained it didnt look nice for long scared of going up curbs etc might scratch the rim not good for a car that is designed to go offroad ....

i now have a silver d3 with blacked out rear windows d4 lights 19" alloys very comfy looks 8) and im not scared of taking it anywhere its the best car iv had iv had a q7 dont waste your money or an x5

go for a disco i personally would not go for a blinged up one trying to make it look like a sport tho

Thumbs Up

Post #62498222nd Mar 2010 11:51 am
jamesbond007

Portugal 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Had mine for over a month and I absolutely love it. A car that can do absolutely everything and is supremely comfortable. I think it looks absolutely fantastic.
Don't worry about black, I have had a lot of black cars and they are not particularly difficult to clean, one of those urban myths I suppose. My D3 is Tonga Green.
Now the D3 is one of the VERY few cars that look good in light colours. I do not like white and silver cars but I must say that I would not mind a white or a silver D3.
Forget about the 22" wheels, they look awful. I like the D3 because it is a Land Rover. If I wanted it to look like a Range Rover Sport, I would buy a Range Rover Sport.
 The older I get, the better I was.

Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto (BAS remap) after Defender TD4 110 Crew Cab and 1964 SIIA 88. 

Post #62499522nd Mar 2010 12:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >