Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DeeJay

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

FB is ok as long as you don't have a DPF filter Thumbs Up

Post #114433515th Aug 2013 7:06 pm
Dave T

England 

I have tried BP diesel a few times but have found absolutely no difference what so ever over sainsburys
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #114433815th Aug 2013 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Snapper66

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Thanks DeeJay, mines a 54 plate so no DPF to worry about. Did make some enquiries though on a long thread about adding lube, but being a complete Censored wit when it comes to mechanics, I couldnt follow the stuff about whether I'd have to blank off my EPG's? to prevent all the released crud damaging the cat, turbo etc, and if I do have to blank off the EPG's, I'd have no idea how to go about it, or quite why I had to do it Embarassed
 Just 'cos your paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you!  
Post #114434215th Aug 2013 7:30 pm
Snapper66

thanks Hobgoblin, thought it was only me, as I never noticed it on my previous car, and haven't had my Disco long enough for a definitive comparison. Never thought to much of it until a friend of mine complained that whenever he refuelled his van at our local (tesco) garage, he go no where near the range to a tank on his Renault van, than he gets when he fills at his own local station, which is Shell, and I know he's only talking about the standard Shell fuel, as he's too tight fisted to lay out for the premium stuff Whistle
Post #114434315th Aug 2013 7:33 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have run mine on BP Ultimate over the last 9k, with a couple of visits to shell if no BP nearby.

My local station has a deal where if you buy 2 bottles of coke, you get 5p off a full litre of fuel.
Since i run mine dry and fill to the brim i can usually get about 80+ litres in a tank.

It works out, i get the 2 bottles for free AND still save a few pence on fill up. Thumbs Up

Shame my average is still only 23.6mpg over that time. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post #114438015th Aug 2013 9:36 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Dave T wrote:
I have tried BP diesel a few times but have found absolutely no difference what so ever over sainsburys

agreed....one DERV I have found no difference whatsoever

If you are talking PETROL...the higher octane stuff makes a vast difference when my XK is filled up - fast & exciting becomes - far far better......worth buying
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #114442115th Aug 2013 11:31 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Whenever I fill up with normal diesel I see a 2mpg drop and it sounds like a bag of spanners. I've used v-power for pretty much 90% of the 115,000 miles I've put on mine so far and am happy to pay the premium.

BLF, you have an XK? You've not mentioned that before. Do you find people are openly envious of your obvious success? Yawn
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #114445616th Aug 2013 7:43 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

got to say i was always sceptical about these "premium fuels" but running on Texaco premium ( V power i think its called ?) a few times now its much quieter smoother and more powerful wasnt checking MPG so cant comment on that aspect
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #114448516th Aug 2013 9:19 am
DeeJay

Snapper, no prob with using 2T your EGR valves(assume that's what you mean) it will clean then too. I used it on my D3 and have used it on my D4 from new. There is a massive thread on the forum all about the stuff have a search mate. Smile

Post #114449016th Aug 2013 9:36 am
Snapper66

Thanks DeeJay, I read through it (it took a while!!) and I got the impression that when you first start to add the lube, if you've an older vehicle (mines done 105k) you get a big release of built up crud that can cause all sorts of problems, but as I say, with my limited mechanical knowledge, I might have got the wrong end of the stick
Post #114451116th Aug 2013 10:34 am
DaveVX

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DavidSally wrote:
I heard that HIghways Agency drivers cannot fill up with supermarket diesel due to having engine problems. Can anyone verify this?

Not true as far as I know and I work for them. (Unless this has changed in the last two weeks whilst I have been off)

The policy is to use the best value fuel we can get in relation to the area we are working in, so by definition that could be supermarket fuel or a branded one.

I would say where I'm based we mainly use supermarket fuel without any problems

Post #114454216th Aug 2013 11:40 am
DeeJay

I used to work for BOC and they did tests regarding the advantages of the Ultimate fuels and ordinary standard fuels mainly BP and found the Ultimate types where not cost effective, this involved trucks, vans and cars. I might add supermarket fuels where not tested. Exclamation

Post #114456316th Aug 2013 12:33 pm
DeeJay

Snapper it would be worthwhile getting the EGR's blanked off anyway, they will cause you problem eventually anyway. It's not difficult and there is a how to do it thread on the forum, there are guys on here that will do it for you if you are not sure Thumbs Up

Post #114456416th Aug 2013 12:37 pm
Snapper66

Cheers, I'll look up the thread and have a look through
Post #114456716th Aug 2013 12:54 pm
ChemicalJasper

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Its all the same stuff.

It is pretty much all the same stuff.

ULSD EN 590

Diesel is a blend of various distilate components to meet the minimum specification of EN 590 for sale through the UK and Europe.

We make various grades of diesel, but only EN 590 is sold to forecourts in the UK.

All the diesel is blended into a single tank at the loading facility, and on a daily basis we fill no only our brand but all the major supermarkets, and all the other refiners (BP, SHELL etc etc) and many independents.

Yes the premium diesel does have brand specific addatives, usually mainly cetane based, added in SMALL quantaties to the base diesel, but essentially 99.9% of the diesel in in SHELL NITRO V+ Max Turbo Carlos Vandago, or whatever it is (and there is NO 'nitro' in that) is the same as the diesel from the supermarket or anywhere else.

Diesel engines are quite insensitive to addatives in general and will run on a wide range of fuel, so adding a little bit of cetane dont really do a lot - (my 90 will run on old filtered chip fat quite nicely).

Typically additives are between 200 and 400 ppm - to put that in perspective, thats just less than a tablespoon in a full to the brim D4 tank).

So if you travel all over the UK and buy SHELL, its unlikely that you will get SHELL fuel (you wont round here, you get ours or next doors), it will be from the closest refinery or depot and will be the same fuel as all the other local petrol stations. And from the same station, it will be different week to week as the components in the distilate blend will also change (marginally) depending on what disstillates are blended (to meet EN 590).

But hey if you think it workd better for your motor - you pays your money, you takes your chances! Whistle
 Don't worry..... it only seems Kinky the first time you do it!  
Post #114553119th Aug 2013 12:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >