DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Shopping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Owen

Australia 
Shopping

Hi All,
I'm a current owner of an NM Pajero (modified) and tow an off-road campomatic M4 camper trailer. I'm currently looking for a repalcement and a Disco 3 TDV6 is certainly high on my shopping list. It seems to have a lot going for it - but I'm very concerned re the reliability factor given we get a fair way off road quite often. There seem to be a lot of horror stories on the 'net with warnings about not buying one- etc. I know I'm asking the converted, but what are the 'real life' experiences of owners here? Would you recommend one?
Look fwd to your thoughts.
Martin
 Outback Camper  
Post #9699527th Oct 2006 12:29 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Owen,
I have only had mine for a month - but I did buy it for the purposes of: twoing a boat, carrying many children, some weekend off-roading AND long ditsance touring/camping. All the research I did pointed to this being the best vehicle availabel for that combination...

You will read a mixture of stories on this site and elsewhere - most you'll read are positive experiences, some will be negative - a lot of the group members here do use these vehicles for their intended purpose of off-road/touring, and most come back highly satisfied. I don't think you'll regret it if you go down this path.

All the best with your shopping...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #9699727th Oct 2006 1:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ther have been and continue to be issues with the D3, but they are becoming less and less. There have been very few 'failures to proceed' (D3s do not break down Very Happy )
If you are a long way from a dealer it would be anoying to get the niggly issues fixed but I have had no major issues with mine and all small issues have been fixed immediately without fuss. Thumbs Up
If you read any forum for any car you will find problems, that is what forums are for.
If you have problems with your D3 you can always ask here. Smile
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9699927th Oct 2006 3:06 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Content Deleted
 Dave

Disco Dreaming 

Last edited by Glymmer_Man on 31st Oct 2006 12:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9700027th Oct 2006 3:49 am
Jamo

Australia 

Once you've owned a D3, there ARE no other vehicles to choose from!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #9700127th Oct 2006 3:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

speaking of shopping for a D3, have you got your replacement yet GM. by the lack of a follow up post I assume not.

Post #9700827th Oct 2006 8:02 am
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've had my Disco for 3 months now and it replaced a 2000 diesel Prado. The Prado was supremely reliable but it was noisy, slow, gutless and drove like a truck.

When I was evaluating the Prado replacement, the Disco3 was last on my list beacause the reliability factor however, once I test drove it, it's refinement impressed me no end. For me buying the Disco3 was an emotional decision.

Compared to the current crop of off-road capable fourbys, the Disco3 is far quieter, in most cases more powerful, more bush capable, more relaxing and economical (the diesel version). It's drawback as I see it is it's kerb weight, range and electronics reliability.

The majority of issues with the car stem from electronic or electrical breakdowns but not mechanical issues. I'll be careful with wading mine through deep water. Anecdotal tales also indicate it is a bit sluggish on sand.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #9705727th Oct 2006 12:02 pm
Owen

Australia 
Shopping

Thanks to all who have replied.
Definately food for thought.
Martin
 Outback Camper  
Post #9753530th Oct 2006 6:40 am
Jamo

Australia 

I've found mine excellent on soft fine sand when running the 245/70R17 Cooper STT's at 16psi.

However, when running the 255/60R18 Wrangler's it's a different story. These need to be as low as 8-10psi to get through the soft stuff. The 60 profile is too low.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #9755430th Oct 2006 10:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >