Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Side airbags blew out cresting a desert dune
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
You weren't there and neither were we so we can all only guess what happened. I am all for Squirrel not having to fork out for anything ...but equally LR could argue that it was doing what it had to do in the circumstance ....or admit it was faulty. Wink

Ditto... no one is saying it was the drivers 'fault' at all.

It does not say in the manual anything about the roll over protection offered by the SRS system. Its there and I am glad it is. This is the same for many of the safety systems in the D3 or any other vehicle I would imagine.

And how would any driver know for certain that they were at a 45 degree or even over or under this angle. What is the angle the SRS determines it should fire at ? What other circumstances cause the SRS system to fire. There would I assume be some sort of error checking and or leeway to cover for a 'dipping into the firing zone' too.

Or there may have been a fault. TBH until data is recovered by LR or the dealer to determine exactly what the sensors were seeing, no one will know for sure.

I would like to think that LR will say they will cover the cost even though the system (presumably) did what it was designed to do. Happily no one was hurt and there was no damage (apart from that caused by the SRS system).

Its a tough one at the end of the day and hopefully all will be sorted.

@simonsi Thumbs Up Agree.

Post #45948227th Apr 2009 12:35 pm
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

simon wrote:
@simonsi Thumbs Up Agree.

I agree as well Laughing

My arguments haven't been against the way the system is programmed, but rather against any possible claim that this should not be covered under warranty. You want the system to predict, and I understand that there are accelerometers and crazy technology at work. But in this case, their combined assessment was mistaken. If you have a smart computer that makes a mistake, it can get points for trying, and we can say that it's better for it to err on the side of caution, but at the end of the day it cannot be denied that the computer made a mistake.

Post #45949327th Apr 2009 12:45 pm
simon

Well, it will be interesting to hear how this pans out... we are all hoping it will not cost Squirrel anything and LR will play nice Thumbs Up

Post #45949527th Apr 2009 12:47 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

There are some side airbags on Ebay for £100 a side, so if LR don't pay it might be worth getting them. Not sure if you can ship them using a normal courier though.

Post #45949627th Apr 2009 12:49 pm
simon

As long as the plane / boat doesn't tip too much they will be OK.

Post #45949727th Apr 2009 12:51 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Shipping explosives via ebay to Dubai? I'd love to see the customs officer's face.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #45950027th Apr 2009 12:56 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
I'd love to see the customs officer's face.

If they go off in his hand Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45950527th Apr 2009 1:00 pm
TomTom

2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Hey Squirrel,

I am curious to read the outcome of the story!

Tom.

Post #4786459th Jun 2009 3:23 pm
andyck325

United Arab Emirates 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackLR3
SIDE AIR BAGS

Hi Squirrel

The side airbags deployed on my LR3 on Thursday morning going over speed bumps in Al Ain.
Premier wanted a police report stating the damage to the car, which was nil. and so would not give me one.
Initially Premier were very helpfull, but this changed later in the day and I got a lecture about offroad driving!

Premier has the car at the moment to conduct "an investigation"

I have a bad feeling about this one and suspect that I will be "digging deep" to put this one right.
 Andy  
Post #5050728th Aug 2009 11:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I know of a Volvo S80 which blew its curtain airbags after dropping off a large kerb and as the wheels scraped down the drivers curtain deployed

Post #5050808th Aug 2009 12:33 pm
boyter

Scotland 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Atacama SandLR3

What was the outcome of this guys? Just curious to know how our local dealers handled it.
 LR's and racing...

www.vendettaracinguae.com 

Post #56525115th Dec 2009 8:05 am
andyck325

United Arab Emirates 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackLR3
SIDE AIRBAGS

The dealer had the car for six weeks, after which Land Rover Middle East agreed to pay for the work as a gesture of good will.

The cost was 42,743 Dirhams!

They have my vote. Thumbs Up
 Andy  
Post #56525315th Dec 2009 8:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Squirrel

United Arab Emirates 2014 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR4

Hi all - belated conclusion to this story.

After exercising much patience, and going quite high up the food chain here at LR Middle East, they agreed to repair this at their cost, as a gesture of goodwill. Very generous to pick up the tab for a AED40,000 repair job, while accepting no liability for vehicle malfunction.

Incidentally, I managed to have an informal sneak peak at my LR repair file, and the actual cost (at cost) of this repair is closer to AED10,000 - to put the "gesture" in perspective. So I'm doubly grateful I was not ripped off. Makes me feel sick actually.

Therefore, I still have mixed feelings about this entire affair. LR made me feel like they were being generous to me, but I still feel I shouldn't have been put through the wringer to get this outcome. They could have got a lot more goodwill mileage out of this situation.

I've since bought myself a dirt bike which keeps me amused in the dunes on weekends. The LR3 is now mom's taxi during the week, and a dirt bike trailer tow-car on weekends. I do minimal desert driving and don't think my nerves could go through that airbag ordeal again.

Now that I'm doing more towing, I was really keen on upgrading to the LR4 5.0l v8, but the dealers are not willing to offer any kind of discount off the list price. I guess they are in the enviable position of being able to sell every single unit they import, so don't need to offer any good deals to their long-standing and loyal customers?

Oh well, my LR3 is still in good nick and doing its job just fine.
 Don't allow an inanimate object to outwit you.  
Post #65988713th Jun 2010 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >