Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Side Bars with steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
highlandcow

Side Bars with steps

I had a set of official Land Rover side steps on a Freelander 2 and, although I found them useful, I felt that they made the car look like a pimp mobile. Also, the side steps lessen the car's offroad capabilities.

Therefore, for the new D4 I'm getting, I'd rather have a set of side bars with steps. I'd appreciate anybody's thoughts on what's out there and what I should consider.

Thanks.

Post #53922224th Oct 2009 7:42 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi you need a pair of these then just away now at the powder coaters will be back on Monday will do some other photos then these are further out than the normal ones i do and they can be used as side steps but they don't stick out as much
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #53925924th Oct 2009 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked WOW Shocked , now they are 8) Ray..............................Must resist........................step away from the PC

ANybody wanna pair of OEM sidesteps Laughing Laughing then I can have a pair Rolling with laughter

Post #53926824th Oct 2009 10:36 am
highlandcow

Thanks for that, but I've seen side tubes that have flattened and rubberised bits for your feet. The non-slip bits are an important consideration for my nephews, nieces and septuagenarian parents.

I've got photos of ones (tubes, not relatives) I've found on the internet, but don't know how to include them in a post.

Basically, am I asking too much of a set of tubes: to provide easy access with a non-slip area and better side/tree/rock protection than Land Rover's standard side steps? Might it be the case that I have to choose between what's more important: side protection or access?

Also, since I won't officially own the D4 until I pay the balance in two years, I'd presume that any modifications would have to be removable and be done without any drilling.

Thanks.

Last edited by highlandcow on 24th Oct 2009 1:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #53927324th Oct 2009 10:51 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

highlandcow wrote:
Might it be the case that I have to choose between what's more important: side protection or access?

That is a very likely choice you will have to make, unfortunately there is no solution that adequately combines both roles effectively, there will always be some compromise and bias towards one purpose or the other Sad
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #53927624th Oct 2009 10:57 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

i do under stand you these are removable and no drilling as all the holes are all ready there and taped for 8MM bolts and to put your plastic one back on just bye some new bits a few quid for the bits now we could put some ally checker on the top as well then you will have a platform
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #53931524th Oct 2009 12:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highlandcow

RLD, thanks for that. I'm not so keen on chequerplate because I find it a bit slippy and my parents definitely would. Also, I'm not so sure that it would suit a Discovery 4, but photos might persuade me otherwise.

Am I allowed to post an ebay auction where I've seen something that might fit the bill for feedback?

Thanks.

Post #53932124th Oct 2009 1:15 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

just a thought on my part could do plain with rubber on again only a thought i think you can do what you want Question Thumbs Up

Post #53932524th Oct 2009 1:28 pm
highlandcow

RLD: I think plain, matte, non-bling with heavy-duty rubber might do the trick.

I'd appreciate a photo of any (normal) ones on a Discovery (3 or 4).

Mine will be a silver one. However, I don't understand about having to remove stuff. I'm not a mechanic.

Things I've seen on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DISCOVERY-3-S%2FS-SI...985wt_1167

Definitely don't want a polished finish, but have no idea of those bars' protective qualities.

Post #53932624th Oct 2009 1:40 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

removing little plastic studs thats all you just hit them with a hammer and they come off all you do then is push new ones in

Post #53934124th Oct 2009 2:31 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ray

looks like you and GNVP have been working on the same project!

We have our trial set on next week.

I'll put up a drawing online on Monday.

Neil
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #53934524th Oct 2009 2:51 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

had some out now for 12 months Whistle

Post #53934724th Oct 2009 3:03 pm
highlandcow

I'm not due home until the end of November and that's when I should be collecting my D4, so I've got time to research a suitable product. The only thing that can put a spanner in the works is if the finance is approved and that will be a Censored because I've already given the LR dealer my Audi A5.

RLD: thanks for the explanation. Still interested in seeing your side bars on a vehicle.

NeilD: also interested in seeing your product, but your website is down.

Post #53936124th Oct 2009 3:32 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

these will be on a vehicle next week the ones on my car don't come out this fare

Post #53936524th Oct 2009 3:45 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yep, still updating it. Will be live tonight about 10.00pm Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #53937424th Oct 2009 4:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >