DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Side steps / Rails on Disco3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hopperoo101

Australia 
Side steps / Rails on Disco3

Hi All,

Just purchased a demo TDV6 SE MY09 and am wondering what alternatives are available for fitting side steps to it. I looked at the LR ones but they appeared too wide and reduced the rampover clearance somewhat.

I'm looking for siderails like the OE ones fitted to the NP / NS Pajeros that are wide enough to step up on if necessary (we have our 85 year old FinL living with us who appreciates some form of step to get up on) but importantly will prevent mud & stones etc splashing up the sides of the vehicle.

I'm also seeking feedback on whether the side protection strips on the doors are good value.

Any suggestions on brands & prices appreciated.

Kind Regards, Dennis.

Post #48572323rd Jun 2009 2:29 pm
rmp

Australia 

Whatever type you get ensure the manufacturer provides some sort of statement that they will not interfere with the side airbags. Which I am sure they won't provide as I doubt it would be cost-effective to do the necessary testing to prove side airbag operation is unaffected, and unlike the front there are no handy and inexpensive crushcans to deform. So your choice, siderails or properly operating side airbags, or the LR option.
 --
Robert
Life is better in low range 

Post #48624224th Jun 2009 11:20 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Dennis,
Where do you get the side protection strips, locally I have only been able to find the narrow ones and would like the wide ones, or are they only available from LR. By the way I am looking for them for my project vechle.

Cheers
Rob
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #48628224th Jun 2009 12:40 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

you guys need an upside down version of "the large one" aka TLO..

Thumbs Up

supplies all our OE spares this way up, not sure they'd work the other way though
 one wife.......livid  
Post #48628424th Jun 2009 12:42 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Dennis - welcome!
I have a MY07 with factory side protection bars and protection strips.

The side protection bars are not wide enough to step on. You may be better off getting aftermarket rock sliders - I seem to recall there is one maker in the USA (was it "Off Roving"?) which look pretty wide.

The protection strips - to me - break up the slab-sided wall of paint, and also are about the right height to stop clowns swinging their doors open on you pride and joy. I often park in busy shopping centres at offroad height - so that clowns will either hit the side bar or strip.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #48629524th Jun 2009 1:05 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

By the way - a lot of people bad-mouth the side protection bars, complaining they are too soft and take away some of the ramp over height. Well - that's the point! If they were too hard - the shock/load would be transferred to the chassis. If they were higher - they would not do their job. I think of them as a sacrificial part - to prevent damage to the sills, etc.

Post #48629824th Jun 2009 1:08 pm
Tassierob

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

What you really have to have clear in your mind is what you are going to use the vehicle for.

If ramp over angle is important and rock crawling type country is your go then forget the LR side tubes. They are simply to light. It is actually possible to bend then up to touch the sills as they are only attached by 3 very light mounting points. This is from experience Embarassed They are fine for everyday use and most touring situations but not much else. After one day of this type of country my tubes were touching the sills near the front wheels and crushed underneath in several places.
Click image to enlarge

Driving the same track with the rocksliders there was no damage at all and we only actually touched in 2 places as they don't take away ground clearance at all.
If you want something as strong as the rest of the vehicle with a step, then go for the Offroving rock sliders but be prepared to pay the price.
 Life is short...get it dirty...as often as you can.
TDV6 SE, ARB Bar, Warn 9000lb winch,Kamar rear bar/tyre carrier/jerry can holder, IBS duel battery system,Safari Snorkel, Black Widow draw system, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 240XGT driving lights, Hemma GPS, Tyre Dog tyre monitor system, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17, Off Roving rock sliders, Hannibal Rooftop Tent, Open Sky awning. 

Post #48662324th Jun 2009 11:49 pm
Tassierob

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I Meant to add...you can clearly see from the pic attached just how much ground clearance is lost with the LR tubes Sad
 Life is short...get it dirty...as often as you can.
TDV6 SE, ARB Bar, Warn 9000lb winch,Kamar rear bar/tyre carrier/jerry can holder, IBS duel battery system,Safari Snorkel, Black Widow draw system, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 240XGT driving lights, Hemma GPS, Tyre Dog tyre monitor system, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17, Off Roving rock sliders, Hannibal Rooftop Tent, Open Sky awning. 

Post #48664125th Jun 2009 12:05 am
Jamo

Australia 

I have the Off Roving rials and hardly think that airbag deployment is an issue.

The side sensors are inside the panels behind the scuff plates at the B and C pillars. Thus, they are directly behind the lower portion of the doors. Any impact in this area or above will miss the rails anyway; and, unless you drive around at Off Road height all the time, most other cars, if impacting from the side, will clear the rails and slam into the door area itself, and therefore the sensors. I doubt that there would be any delayed deployment at all.

On the shock to the chassis issue, maybe, but.... If you're going to be driving such that a shock to a strong rail will damage the chassis, then you should reconsider what you are doing. If you have deformable rails on to protect the chassis, what happens if you are 6 inches to the left when you hit whatever it is that's going to do the damage and it hits the chassis itself rather than the side tube?? Sounds like beyond extreme to me.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #48682725th Jun 2009 2:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hopperoo101

Australia 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
What I'm looking for in the sidesteps is usable width to use as a step as well as protecting the sides of the vehicle from mud splatters & stone chips as much as possible.

Post #48683825th Jun 2009 2:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >