Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Sidesteps - will they do the job of protection tubes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Sidesteps - will they do the job of protection tubes?

What the topic says really, am considering side protection tubes or sidesteps as the next addition (I think SWMBO must have given up now Laughing )

The requirement is really more rocksliding than a step itself, but if the later does the job as well, are there any reasons not to?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #59268729th Jan 2010 12:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Side steps or tubes will not provide much protection against rocks. Side steps are literally only good for help access to to the vehicle, or roof rack, as a step. They will more than likely get damaged if used off-road.

Side Tubes are more of a styling accessory, although may offer limited protection against a rock. They will still get dinted by impact, but might save a dint in the sill.

Proper rock sliders, such as those made by site supporter RLD sre what you need. They replace the plastic sill panels with thick alloy plates, and offer real protection.

Post #59269229th Jan 2010 12:37 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Neither the steps or the tubes offer any protection at all - they are cosmetic. I have two nice, banana-shaped tubes at home that I really must get around to throwing away.

For proper protection, give RLD a shout or email BigCarpChaser to see if he has any left.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #59269429th Jan 2010 12:37 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Here is a picture of an RLD rock slider sill, with an tree slider bar attached, which can also double as a heavy duty side step, capable of supported the heaviest of people. 8)

Post #59269829th Jan 2010 12:42 pm
discoBizz

Thank you gents, confusion cleared Thumbs Up

I had the impression the LR "side protection tubes" were the equivalent of rock/tree sliders... DOH!

Just to be clear Gareth, in your picture, there ar two elements: the rock slider (under the sill) and the tree slider (extended outwards)?

Post #59270229th Jan 2010 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

One word of caution if you have side steps fitted and go off road and bend them, they often bend up and actually prevent you from being able to open the door, which is funny when it happens on one side on and off road course and there are plenty of people to jump on it, but probably not so funny if you are own your own and you do both sides!

I've seen this happen to at least two members of the forum. Personally I think side steps are the work of Satan.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #59270329th Jan 2010 12:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Biz, yes that is correct Thumbs Up

Post #59270829th Jan 2010 12:49 pm
discoBizz

OK, clear, thanks Thumbs Up Wasn't too keen on the sidesteps in the first place Laughing

While we're on the subject of underbody protection, are there any steering rack protectors for the D3? (I've found a few for the 90/110)

Any other areas that would need protecting/reinforcing going around rocks/boulders? (nothing too extreme, just planning a trip in summer at a location that is almost like the lunar surface!)

Post #59272629th Jan 2010 1:03 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Steering rack is well up out of the way. You'll rip the sump off before you take out the rack. Get yourself a sump plate as this goes back far enough to protect your other engine bay auxilliaries.

Again, member "RLD" can help you here.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #59275129th Jan 2010 1:30 pm
discoBizz

Cheers ND Thumbs Up

Post #59275929th Jan 2010 1:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >