Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

silly newbie questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Lid

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Sorry to go off topic and not teaching you to suck eggs with it but when you put the horse in without the partition make sure you tie his head via the head collar to both sides of the trailer with enough slack so he can eat and see etc but not turn around.... That's when you'll have more problems... It really does work and ours now travels perfectly in the middle of the trailer albeit with splayed legs ....... You won't believe the difference... Daft question is your horse of Irish descent? They seem to trailer them without bars and this maybe is where he picked up his weird habit?.

Thanks and sorry for hijacking this thread - a moderator might want to split out this discussion into a new thread perhaps?

Yes he was bred in Ireland and lived there till he was about 8 - 9 years old (he is now 12). His breeding is actually KWPN/Oldenburg cross. Here he is with my daughter on him. I ride him too (hence 17hh) and we also have a sharer for weekdays.

Click image to enlarge

Post #111808416th Jun 2013 1:24 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Well hopefully this thread has saved you the expense of selling your Discovery for a horse box...(that should bring it back on topic to save the wrath......) it really is a brilliant towing wagon... It may be worth doing the V8 brake conversion which is a superb way of updating the brakes (search different thread) and just helps when your going downhill with a couple of tonnes of horse behind you..very inexpensive but noticeably better ....
Your horse looks stunning and we also have an Irish cross country event horse ...I was in exactly same position as you until a couple of weeks ago and was distraught at the thought of buying a lorry... It seems they just chuck them in either a lorry or trailer over there and fend for themselves and they are not boxed in as much.. As soon as we removed the central partition and replaced it with the full length breech bar he now places himself centrally over the axle spreads his rear legs out and actually enjoys the journey...
Phew!! Good luck and let me know how you get on.... Very Happy

Post #111814616th Jun 2013 4:49 pm
Lid

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Folks - I've been away on holiday and then my whole family, including me, got ill for weeks. Anyway we tried the horse in the trailer without the partition and he was fine. In fact you wouldn't have known there was a horse in the back! Thanks for all the advice.

Post #114667921st Aug 2013 10:48 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Excellent news!!!! We've just got back from the Championships at Cholmondley Castle.. Mega drive from Sevenoaks 6 1/2 hours and the G4 performed faultlessly (notice keeping it on subject!) towing the horsebox.... the horse made no protests whatsoever and according to swmbo who was following he would just shift his weight about moving around the box very slightly. Got out the other end without the slightest indication of such a long journey...
Excellent news and keep up the good work! Very Happy

Post #114676122nd Aug 2013 8:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >