Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Some (silly?) towing questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TB2

Some (silly?) towing questions

Ladies and gents of the forum, we are very close to supplementing our existing, ageing Defender 110 with a newer Solihull product for our towing requirements.

We are looking at a Disco 3 and, (am I allowed to mention it on here?) a Range Rover Tdv8.

We have found two vehicles that appear to meet our demands and more importantly, sit within our budget. neither have a towbar (towball?) fitted at present.

Would it be naive of me to think that the fitting of a towbar would be easy? or relatively cheap? or that all it involved would be a qd towball to be purchased and attached to an existing mount?

Secondly, as far as the two vehicles are concerned, would towing with the Tdv8 be a much more refined affair than with the Tdv6, or would either be more than sufficient to pull a 26ft twin-axle? (We are planning on visiting the Italian lakes, Scandinavia and Spain although not, as it may appear to read, in one epic journey)!

Our annual mileage when these overseas trips are not factored into the equation, would be around 3,000 miles. I understand that some motoring correspondents advocate the use of petrol engined vehicles for anyone who drives less than 12,000 miles p.a.

We would keep this vehicle for some considerable time so resale value is not high on our list.

One final question: one of the vehicles is for sale privately and amongst the items 'missing' is one of the ignition keys. (the other items being a wireless headset and a remote control for the Dvd player).

Would any of you have qualms about buying a car with one of the keys 'lost' or am I being overly cautious?

Kind regards

Tb2

Post #11253311st Jul 2013 8:19 pm
geoff.

England 

both will do the job and do it very well Thumbs Up

as for the tow bar just have a good look to see if electrics have been fitted but if its not then it aint the end of the world to get it done Thumbs Up

Post #11253321st Jul 2013 8:22 pm
mrsclayton

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have a d3 57reg and my hubby has a newish L322 4.4 vogue se.. we have used both in the past few weeks to tow our 7.95 meter twin axle caravan... out come. the L322 does it much better, the d3 doesnt struggle but the L322 does it more effortlessly.. I believe the L322 is more expensive to get the electrics and tow bar fitted but worth it in the end!

Post #11253411st Jul 2013 8:34 pm
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a D3 and tow a 27ft twin axel with it. I've had an X-trail and a free lander 2. THis is a different league over them .

Are the electrics there? If not it should be really easy to fit them my guy didn't take the bumper off and charged £100 with the loom. The tow bar is detachable and can be bought on here or an infamous auction site.

Keys arnt cheap from the dealers and need to be reprogrammed. the headsets and remotes again on the auction site.
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #11253491st Jul 2013 8:46 pm
Pelyma

England 

Either will tow it with no problems, many of us tow TA caravans, I think I'd have the FFRR, I would guess with the extra torque it would be be more economical to run.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #11253761st Jul 2013 9:32 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: Some (silly?) towing questions

TB2 wrote:
....Would any of you have qualms about buying a car with one of the keys 'lost' or am I being overly cautious?

Errrr...some 13 months after we returned from living in NZ my SWMBO'd asked what she should do with the "spare car keys"...somewhat puzzled I asked "for which car" the SAAB she she said...sold some 14 months before...

It happens....
as long as you have one set of keys, all the correct paperwork & the car is checked out as not being stolen......OK
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #11254241st Jul 2013 10:32 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

The D3 will take some beating when it comes to the amount of storage space you need for all thosebits that you dont want in your van when you are on the move.
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #11254802nd Jul 2013 7:39 am
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Just one quick comment to add about the 'lost keys' scenario and something that cropped up when I insured our daughter's car...

It is worth advising your insurer that you only have two keys (assuming there are three on original issue) or as may be appropriate as in the event of a vehicle theft, you will be required to hand back the additional keys to prove that you didn't leave the key in the ignition / car and thereby assist with the theft! It's easier to argue a missing key at the outset rather than having to do the 'Er, well....' bit after the event!

Thinking about this, my D4 only came with two keys so you might want to get the second key in case of loss or damage but as has been said earlier, it ain't going to be cheap!
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #11255992nd Jul 2013 1:01 pm
TB2

Thanks for your replies thus far.

The boot space was (still is) a consideration. Moving from a 110 CSW and having to haul around 2 x Lab retrievers, I realise now how fortunate we have been until now in having the two rear side benches that the dogs love laying on during long drives. This frees up all of the floor space for 'essentials' (Essentials? Did I really say that!)

It was partly the insurance angle that I was thinking of re the 'missing' key. It appears prudent to declare it from the outset although I am a little unsettled by the thought that there are two or three unaccounted for keys out there somewhere.

A quote today from a main dealer was £169 for the key plus £69 for the cutting/coding. You're right.......they're not cheap are they! Crying or Very sad

I'm torn between the two vehicles. Part of me says that the practicality of a D3 wins through (just how much extra 'usable' luggage space is there ~ or rear leg room for that matter) and the other part screams effortless towing, far lower vehicle/trailer weight ratio.

Decisions, decisions.

Tb2

Post #11258632nd Jul 2013 8:38 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I have not owned a FFRR but have had one on long term loan. Yes it will probably tow the caravan better but to be honest the D3 will tow it without effort as well. The D3 has the practicality over the FFRR and I also found the FF not suitable for our life style with two tenage kids, in years to come when there is just me and the wife then perhaps the FFRR would be a better chice then.
However I think you have answered your own question when you said about the dogs and room, Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #11258762nd Jul 2013 8:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eyeball

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've not had the pleasure of towing with a RR, however, towing my TA 7.95m caravan with my D3 is effortless. Borrowed a friends Ford Ranger while my D3 had a new engine fitted (that's another story!!) and can truly say the difference was amazing...couldn't wait to get the D3 back. The RR would need to be exceptional to make the difference. Throw in cavernous space in the back and the 7 seats when necessary and you can see why the D3 is such a good option. If its got the electrics I use the removable tow-bar and felt very confident with it. When you get the key, don't forget to program it to operate the suspension....very useful facility. Whatever your choice, I hope it a works out we for you and you enjoy your trips abroad Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE 06 with all the bells and whistles Smile
New engine at 80k!
Intelligent FBH
Pulling Sterling Continental 630 

Post #11259062nd Jul 2013 9:39 pm
Billy B

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi There,

Sorry this is a late reply, but thought I must add my bit!!!

I have towed a twin axle 26ft. caravan for the past 7 years with a Disco 3 with absolutely no problems, it has handled the task without the slightest murmur. I chose the 3 because it had the space to carry all the equipment and 2 Springer's, both show dogs and weighing in at 35kg each in a large cage.

In May this year I was due for a change, like yourself it was either a LR TDV8 or a Disco 3/ 4.

The TDV8 although more refined in the interior department was not a patch on the Disco for various reasons. Its rear loading bay is cramped in comparison. I could not get the dogs cage in due to the sloping back, and space for camping equipment was sparse. The fuel consumption is also pretty poor when towing.

My choice, again had to be a Discovery. I ended up with a Disco 4 SDV6. Power wise it is very close to the TDV8 but with a much better fuel consumption and I haven't lost all that precious space and handling.

Billy B
 Nothing is foolproof as the ingenuity of fools is endless.

2012 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury 

Post #11271345th Jul 2013 10:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Another point if you are taking the dogs with you is their comfort, not so much comfort but needs, I was going to suggest and recommend the D4, but ISTR it no longer has air con. in the rear dogs department Shocked some D3s have, I don't know about the RR, check the D3 you are interested in has got this extra and that it is working, if it hasn't find one that has, IMHO it is essential with two dogs in hot weather.
You could also have a BAS remap on the D3 specific for towing, not really needed in my experience, I have towed an Iffor Williams trailer with 3 tons on it with no problems and kept up with the flow of traffic on hills.
The RR and D4 have better braking capacity than the D3, although the D3 brakes can be upgraded.
In conclusion best vehicle for you no question is a D4 with rear aircon fitted- if that's possible.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #11271655th Jul 2013 11:24 am
TB2

Again, thank you for your replies and recommendations.

Unfortunately, the D4 is out of our price range at the moment, but the 3.0L Sdv6 does look a real challenger to the Tdv8 ~ certainly the closest thing that a diesel Disco will get to the Tdv8 lump anyway (although I read that the D5 is due out in March 2014? Will be interesting to see which engine options are fitted to this model Whistle )

Good points raised about the luggage capacity of the RR and it's angled tailgate.

Excellent points about the rear air-con (rear as in luggage area). I thought that all D3's had air-con to this area but stand corrected. Thank you for pointing this out, I will definitely take a look. At a risk of sounding extremely naive, how will I know if a particular vehicle has this option fitted? Are there additional vents in the rear behind the 2nd row of seats, or is the air forced through the side window de-mist vents?

Regards

Tb2

Post #11274946th Jul 2013 12:44 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sitting in the middle row of seats, the controls for the ventilation/heating are overhead in the centre, check that it is working by turning to max cold with the engine running and feeling the vents in the rear, they should blow painfully cold.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #11275186th Jul 2013 7:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >