Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sinking Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
SamR

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I just got my car back last week, it was with them since 13th May (3 whole weeks). They lent me a new FL eco (500 miles), so I wasn't too inconvenienced.

Anyway back to sinking suspension. The dealer tested by sticking masking tape to the tyre and wheel arches, so when it goes down the tape goes loose... they changed, front off side valve (they told me that there are 4 valves, one per corner). They changed front off side sensor (probably not required but done under guidance from Landrover). They changed offside rear valve. I tested over the weekend (fri eve until Mon morning) and I think the height was stable. After a lower and normal on the control it ended up +5mm. So it's very hard to know if it's perfect or not. Once you get the idea that it's deflating, you end up convincing yourself that it's going down.

Strangely it looks higher on the back than the front now, this may be me but I don't know anymore Big Cry ...

What's the best place to measure the ground clearance in standard height? From the top of the bumper or ???

Top of the front bumper is 725mm from the ground and the top of the rear bumber (excluding the grooved bit on top) is 625mm. Just that the clearance between the wheel and wheel arch looks small at the front. I think I need to park up next to another D3 to compare Whistle

Post #64769611th May 2010 4:37 pm
sipops

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Me too!

My suspension is also playing up. Been in overnight for the battery disconnected, door open test and all corners went down. The main valve block by the compressor was changed (3137B). Had the car back but same problem. However, front now lowers much sooner (1-2 hours) and comes back up more slowly so going back in for another overnight test tomorrow with battery disconnected and door open etc as it looks like the front valve block has gone also.
Best place to measure height is from centre of wheel vertically up to apex of wheel arch then any undulation in road surface is ruled out. Here's my heights - can be +/- a couple of cm evidently
Normal height - Front 47 cm Rear 49 cm
Off Road height - Front 50cm Rear 52 cm
Access height - Front 42 cm Rear 44cm
 2005 D3 TDV6 HSE
1994 D1 300 TDi S 2" Lift - Off Road prepared 

Post #64782411th May 2010 8:31 pm
ukdave104

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Reading this with interest...

Is it normal when raising it up from access height to normal road height, for the rear to raise first followed by the front Question

2014.5 Discovery 4 HSE in Corris Grey Metallic - arriving this week.
2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 TDV8, now departing
2012 Freelander HSE SD4 Auto - Mrs UkDave104's Toy.
2010 Discovery 4 XS - gone
2008 Discovery 3 HSE - gone
2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4 - gone

Post #64786511th May 2010 9:26 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yup quite normal. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #64795912th May 2010 2:48 am
Kentuckykid69

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Q86ARR

You are quite correct:

Quote:
"LEAVE THE CAR IN STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT"

When you do as your dealer/LR suggests and park it over night in "Off Road Height" then this changes all the systoms.

I have had the same problem for the past 9 months - The front drivers side started to go down over night ALWAYS SEEMS TO DROP LOWER IF VERY COLD OUTSIDE
car always parked on level ground. Then the back of car would start to follow and sag - if left for 6 days then the whole of the car was flat as a F Censored

My dealer changed the 2 Airbags both fronts / New compressor / New valve block and a couple of pipes....... without any joy....... it still did it.

My cars been to the dealer now for 6 times - each time they have had the car for 3/4 days and all under warrenty.

I THINK WE KNOW MORE ABOUT THE PROBLEM THAN LR UK - or any of the dealers !!!!!!

Come on LR .... How hard can it be, to fine out what causes this...... I am starting to think that LR UK are not fixing it now as they know when all warrenty's run out then it more ££££

Only Disco3 - will have the answer !!!

I feel we are all wasting our time taking then to dearlers and they are just changing parts willy nilly................

Post #64799712th May 2010 8:13 am
Kentuckykid69

Hi All

I just thought - I think someone wants to find out a:

Name at LR with a direct phone number ( who knows about air suspension on D3 )

So all of us with this SAME problem can put pressure on LR to get this once and for all sorted.

with out all the trips to and from a dealership

any thoughts.

kk69

Post #64800112th May 2010 8:31 am
DiscoJacques

South Africa 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Same problem here:

D3 in at dealers under warrantee 4 times for 4 weeks in total.

Symtoms:

Front right drops after shut off within minutes, no errors, no problem while driving or started.

Replaced under warrantee:

1 Airsprings
2 Hight sensors
3 All high pressure lines between valve blocks and air springs
4 ECU
5 Battery
6 Valve blocks (this was the cause)

This happend with consultaion with LR Tech in the UK and LR Tech South Africa. They claimed in excess of R40K (Euro R4K) for a part that ultimately only cost Euro 160 and 5 minutes to rectify.

LR should be Embarassed , as they either are just plain stupid or ignorant. The best part is that the dealer claimed that they have never come accros my problem Rolling with laughter
 2007 TDV6 SE auto (ex Write off)
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #64801412th May 2010 9:31 am
Kentuckykid69

Hi DiscoJacques

I am not surprised !!!

am I right into thinking that all LR dearlers get paid for warrenty work by LR - even if they dont fixe the problem
Rolling Eyes

and

besides - they dont even have to pay for the parts - LR pick up the tab.. Its all a win win for the dealers and not so for us !!

Post #64801912th May 2010 9:41 am
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

Got mine back again yesterday after it spend 8 DAYS at the dealer. They told me they had changed a leaking pipe and fixed the problem Very Happy
After leavin the car for 4 hours last night it had already sunk! Mad
And to make matters worse LR were trying to make us pay for the work because pipes arent covered under extended warrenty! Evil or Very Mad
Thay got told what to do with that! It was reported under manufacturers warrenty!
Back to the dealer on Monday! Big Cry
Best get my Land Rover bike back out! At least it doesnt break down! Thumbs Up
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #64875814th May 2010 9:14 am
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

So finally Land Rover seem to have fixed my suspension after 4 trips over 6 months! They have now replaced the front Valve Block under extended warrenty and that seems to have solved the problem. Someone had mentioned this could have been the problem in an earlier post and was mentioned to the dealer the FIRST time it went in!
But anyway I am now happy again Thumbs Up
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #65167821st May 2010 1:15 pm
mad max

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hi all I have a base modle all the look,s and very little hassle. Good old cart springs EPB played up but that is fixed now best of luck with stealer dealer,s

Post #65179121st May 2010 6:55 pm
Namlandy

Namibia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I also had the same problem, they replaced the driver side valve block, seems to help. What happen now is the battery is going down after a few days, with that the suspencion. Now I start thinking if it is ten to one the electronics that try to keep the Discos level up that is draining my battery. With all the valves switching on and off to level the Disco as well as the computer must drain the battery. I do not think they will ever sort out this problem, they change spares with the hope.to solve it, and strange, with that PC they use they can not pin point the problem.

Post #65480230th May 2010 6:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Right then, the front valve block has finally been installed into my car.
Collected the car last Wednesday.

I must say I have not driven great distances since then, but no suspension errors have occurred and no sinking any more. I parked my car at home Friday evening and up till now it hasn't sunk a bit!!!

Dealer had the car for two days as I asked them to get the windows tinted from the B-pillar on. Courtesy car (D3 TDV6) FOC for two days Thumbs Up

So it looks like after 1,5 years they've finally fixed it.
Dealer was a bit worried what I'd think about it/them, as they have failed to fix the problem this last 18 months. I told them the car has never left me standing and I've never received bills for the work or the loan cars. Plus I know (from here, where else) that it is a common problem without a definite solution.

I must add though that I drive by the dealer on my way to and from work. A change of cars takes about 5-10 min extra on the journey so it's not bothering me to have to go there.

Once again a big Thumbs Up for De Koning in Arnhem as they have been very persistent in finding a fix.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #66276420th Jun 2010 7:31 pm
Vortech

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine was left for four days and sunk down to the bootom on all corners, is this normal? I suspect it is, but i don't know. I haven't noticed one corner or end drop before the others.

Post #66295321st Jun 2010 12:25 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Vortech wrote:
Mine was left for four days and sunk down to the bootom on all corners, is this normal? I suspect it is, but i don't know. I haven't noticed one corner or end drop before the others.

Sorry, not normal. It should stay up. Sounds like a compressor problem since all corners sink.
But if it functions in daily use and you don't get any faults on your display you can ignore it.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #66296121st Jun 2010 1:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >