Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Sinking Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
anglefire

England 

I read in the manual (Linked from http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic27.html) page 9,

Quote:
Periodic Re-levelling
When the vehicle is parked, the air suspension control module 'wakes up' two hours after the ignition was last switched off and then once every six hours. The vehicle height is checked and if the vehicle is not level within a pre-set tolerance, small downwards height adjustments may be made automatically.

This would essentially suggest that a leaking valve block would eventually cause the vehicle to drop to the bump stops.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #66312421st Jun 2010 7:08 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, until the situation where the bellows are completely empty.
With my car, the situation has occurred though that I parked on Saturday morning in offroad height, and by 15.00 the front had dropped to the stops whereas the rear was still up in the air. Maybe it was leaking so hard it was 'not within tolerance' and it didn't know what to do? It looked like a dragster Wink

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #66313221st Jun 2010 7:14 pm
anglefire

England 

My point being, though, that as this is something the car does, it would seem fairly obvious that the fault is probably a leaking valve block - so why is it taking so long to diagnose in some cases!
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #66413823rd Jun 2010 11:01 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As the dealer said: they have a LR procedure to follow here. When the procedure is followed, LR pays the bill. When not, they do not. I told them a couple of times to change the front valve block but I have to admit that after the first compressor was faulty, they have found and fixed two other leaks in the suspension system before changing the valveblock out. So just changing the valve block would not have cured the problem in my car.

It has been a week now btw, no sinking and no suspension errors.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #66438624th Jun 2010 6:44 pm
Goswin

Netherlands 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

When you run into a D3 air suspension fault and notice the lowering of the car overnight, it is in 99 of the 100 cases the Valve Block that causes this problem.

I do not know of any D3 where the airstruts itself were the problem...

With RR P38 and LM's it is different than I would say that in 99% of the cases, the cause must be in the airsprings. Smile

Bye,
Goswin.

Post #6693677th Jul 2010 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
encomium

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

is this "valve stop" thing something that can be DIY'ed? Anyone have any part numbers and also pictures of where the thing actually is? I have been having the drooping problem for some months now.

Post #6699509th Jul 2010 1:13 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Renton wrote:
Vortech wrote:
Mine was left for four days and sunk down to the bootom on all corners, is this normal? I suspect it is, but i don't know. I haven't noticed one corner or end drop before the others.

Sorry, not normal. It should stay up. Sounds like a compressor problem since all corners sink.
But if it functions in daily use and you don't get any faults on your display you can ignore it.

It wont be a problem with the compressor as its never run with the ignition off.
If the battery is disconnected and it still drops then its a leak somewhere and probably will only be down at the failing corner due to no periodic levelling. If it stays up with the battery disconnected it wont be a leak but can be a sensor signal problem triggering incorrect periodic levelling when the battery is connected.

Post #6699529th Jul 2010 3:35 am
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

OK so i thought it was fixed apparantly not! Woke up this morning to find the rear offside on the bump stops and the other 3 corners alot higher so it looked like i was parked on a slant but i wasnt!
I have had the front valve block replaced already, could this now be a sensor problem as 1 corners seems to be out of kilter to the other 3? Crying or Very sad

Skep
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #67295517th Jul 2010 10:32 am
jimmydunc

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi been a while since I've had to look anything up to fix my Landy but for the past week have had the dreaded Suspension Fault warning light- Normal height only.Have read at least a thousand threads about it, not looking good - as this is our 5th Discovery with the last 2 an 09 and 2003 both having failing air suspension (Glutton for punishment)So when the light came on a cold shiver shot through me.After reading that it was probably just a classic ECU type glitch, I was waiting to book it in .One short trip on Easter Weekend ,It was now down to the stops and after going from fuse to compressor check I lifted her up on the back corner and low and behold one shot airbag.
Something you don't want to see on a long weekend.Point is is there a thread for replacing these and approximate cost for parts as I am fairly confident now of being under a land Rover Discovery (nothing to be proud of)This would be extremely helpful.javascript:emoticon('Big Cry')
 you want to get out - ya talk to me  
Post #78937825th Apr 2011 1:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Renton wrote:
Vortech wrote:
Mine was left for four days and sunk down to the bootom on all corners, is this normal? I suspect it is, but i don't know. I haven't noticed one corner or end drop before the others.

Sorry, not normal. It should stay up. Sounds like a compressor problem since all corners sink.
But if it functions in daily use and you don't get any faults on your display you can ignore it.

I think this could be normal when there are reasonable temperature differences between day and night.
I noticed with my D3 if the temperature is stable it hardly drops but if there are serious temp differences between night and day the D3 is level but a lot lower.

I think I also noticed that is selflevels more after a long drive then after a short drive. I explain this to myselves that after a long drive the air in the system is warmer so if it cools it needs more leveling.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #78939525th Apr 2011 9:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >