Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Sleeping in the back of the D3 - How cold does it get?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

So I am booked into a campsite on Friday night, I'm going to do a test run sleeping in the back. I've bought a four-seasons sleeping bag rated to -22 degrees, so hopefully should be warm. I've put down a sheet of 18mm and have 100mm dense foam mattress from Amazon on top. So I should be comfy too.

I'll stick a thermometer in the car to record the temps, and will report back. I'm curious to see how cold it gets relative to the outside temp.

In the meantime how do I lock the car without setting the alarm? Is it one button press to lock with alarm, and two button presses to lock without the alarm? Thanks.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #235363221st Nov 2023 11:16 am
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I believe for the D3 it's one press to 'deadlock' with the alarm, two presses to lock without the alarm... and in the D4 it's the opposite!

Though obviously if you're inside you could just press the button on the dash Very Happy if you can reach it!

Someone correct me if I've been doing it wrong in my D3 all these years.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, I'm quite interested in sorting out a similar setup.

Chris

Post #235363721st Nov 2023 11:45 am
NewDevon4rmy

United Kingdom 

DIY Ace wrote:
So I am booked into a campsite on Friday night, I'm going to do a test run sleeping in the back. I've bought a four-seasons sleeping bag rated to -22 degrees, so hopefully should be warm. I've put down a sheet of 18mm and have 100mm dense foam mattress from Amazon on top. So I should be comfy too.

I'll stick a thermometer in the car to record the temps, and will report back. I'm curious to see how cold it gets relative to the outside temp.

In the meantime how do I lock the car without setting the alarm? Is it one button press to lock with alarm, and two button presses to lock without the alarm? Thanks.

How did it go?
 Current: D4 TDV HSE
Recently: CR-V Gen 2
Formerly: LR3 V8 HSE 

Post #23552737th Dec 2023 9:41 pm
DIY Ace

Well, cold.

I'm a few nights away from editing the video and I'll post a link up here, but briefly I put up three sensors around the car; one outside on top of the roof rack, one inside the vehicle hanging from the coat hook and one inside my sleeping bag. At the coldest points:

Outside: -8.5⁰
Inside: -1.5⁰
Sleeping bag: 23⁰

When I woke at about 0630 the condensation on the inside of the windows was frozen solid so I need a heater or dehumidifier or better insulation. Perhaps a mix of all three. Aside from that I actually slept rather well, waking just once to put on a fleece snug hat thing designed to go under my cycle helmet. Otherwise slept happily snug in the bag.

Whilst all I had in place was a 10cm dense foam mattress on a sheet of ply, it confirmed easily that I want to build out the inside into a proper weekend camper. I've modified the design further based on what I experienced, so here's the latest Mockup.

Click image to enlarge

Being able to pull up in the pitch black (I got there at about 2030), climb into the back and bed down without having to set up a tent, or even a roof tent, is a game changer. I was off site at about 0800 after cooking up eggs and bacon on the lower tailgate. Removing the need to pack up gear and reload the car makes a short stopover so much easier and less hassle.

Chuffed with how comfy the foam was, and the Arctic sleeping bag.

Hopefully I'll find a few hours over the Christmas break to get started on the build.
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

Post #23552757th Dec 2023 10:24 pm
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Glad to hear it went well. How did you configure ventilation? I'm guessing from the difference between inside and outside temps and the amount of condensation, that ventilation was minimal?

With regard to your layout, I still think you are taking it a step too far with the inclusion of the toilet. Ditching that would make things so much easier.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23552958th Dec 2023 7:55 am
DIY Ace

I've thought about that a lot - removing the WC. Last night I found these online, they are smaller than the Thetford and the reviews are excellent on YouTube. https://www.trelino.com/en-gb/products/trelino%c2%ae-evo-s

I really want a small WC included, for those middle-of-the-night occasions, particularly where I might be wild camping. This model is smaller and will hide away easily.

Regarding ventilation I left the drivers window down about 20mm and cracked open the sunroof the same amount. I'm researching all-in-one diesel heaters at the moment too, perhaps that might be a good solution.

Post #23552998th Dec 2023 9:22 am
Lightwater

Australia 

We sleep in our Freelander most of the time, cover all the windows with sunscreen sunshades. Get extra larges ones & cut to size. Make a bit extra oversize especially in width as they shrink a bit.

(double thickness for windscreen)

(they take up little room when not using)

The next best thing is fill behind all the trim panels with acoustic foam. It is brilliant for thermal insulation.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html

Plenty warm enough in the car with ice forming outside, & basically no condensation inside.
 Visitor - Freelander owner  
Post #235621218th Dec 2023 9:01 am
DIY Ace

Thanks, interesting to see that thread. I miss my FL2 and that forum.

I'm going to do a dry fit of everything first, a few trial trips to see how it all goes and whether it needs tweaking. When I've honed the design I'll then dismantle it all and take apart the car interior, filling it all with insulation etc. That acoustic foam looks like good stuff, self adhesive I presume.

Post #235621718th Dec 2023 10:31 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

having slept in my car for 2 years on shift work (in the work car park along with 2 other shift members in their cars) we got quite adept at ''stealth'' car camping. The other 2 guys did it for about 2 years prior to me working there.

Actually found the summer days the hardest to sleep in.

the winter nights were mostly OK. Like you I had 3-4'' foam to sleep on, and used a combat 95 army issue sleeping bag and/or a high tog quilt for warmth. Found it best to have the HEKO style wind deflectors and have the windows cracked open under those to reduce condensation build up but never fully got rid of it in the winter months. I did wake up to a light dusting of frozen moisture on the inside of the windows occasionally so the key is ventilation really, you can wrap up toasty under a sleeping bag or a quilt quite easily.

Also found that buying a set of car shades and cheap black pillow cases over them gave a good, quick to put together blackout curtain system.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #235622418th Dec 2023 11:25 am
Lightwater

Australia 

I will address a few comments in one go.

The window rain/wind deflectors are great to allow windows to be open a bit in inclement weather. Great in summer to keep the car cooler & people can't see the windows open a cm.

Summer is actually a bigger problem than winter in the car. We have 4 of the very large window socks to keep UV off babies in the rear of the car... repurposed for grey nomads. Allows windows to be open fully in summer. The front windows we stuff in a towel to fill gap to stop mosquitoes working their way in. A fan inside to move air works wonders. Usually just the rear windows need window socks.

Thermarest 75mm Luxury map self inflating mattress are brilliant. Used Thermarest for 3 decades, wouldn't touch any other brand. Had to upgrade from thinner mattresses as old age has increasing hip issues.

https://www.thermarest.com/ie/sleeping-pad...rymap.html

(do not over inflate any of these type air mattresses, they work far better at the correct level of "under" inflation). Two of the regular size will fit in the car.

Tip: if you want to lock the Land Rover at night but sneak out at night without the alarm going off. You can reach forward & manually lock the doors when sleeping for the night, if one can stretch to the front door locks. Then you can open the rear door locks manually for the 2am number 1 or whatever & relock rear doors manually when back inside without waking up other half or the entire outback!

Click image to enlarge

(Window wind deflectors, probably the most under rated accessory)
 Visitor - Freelander owner  
Post #235623618th Dec 2023 1:01 pm
kim0785b

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Regularly sleep in the back of the disco, recommend opening the side window a smidge to reduce condensation. Most importantly need a full winter sleeping bag to keep warm!
 Discovery 4
Oct 2015, 2016 build
SDV6 Santorini Black SE
New engine at 42k
Car camper 

Post #23639428th Mar 2024 10:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >