Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Slight knocking from rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Slight knocking from rear

My D3 seems to have developed a slight knocking noise, from some part of the rear suspension I beleive. It's definatly not internal anyway, and I'm 95% sure it's from the rear. I've had the steering knock issue before, and had it fixed, though I do suspect it may be starting to return, but that's a seperate issue.

I can hear this knocking noise at relatively low speeds ~20 - 30MPH when driving on a bumpy surface. The noise either goes away or gets drowned out by road noise at higher speeds. Interestingly, the noise is nowhere near as bad with the suspension in offroad height. I was driving around various mountain tracks today and couldn't hear the noise at all. I'm not sure exactly how long it's been happening, as I normally have the radio on and it can't be heard then, but it's definatly within the last 1000 miles, and now that I know it's there, it's more distracting - may have attributed it to tools or stuff in the back before, but I had nothing at all in it today.

Also, in recent weeks, I've been wondering a bit about the handling in corners, etc - I'm convinced it's rolling in the bends more than it used to. I was putting it down to the change from 19" to 18" wheels but maybe it's related.

I've seen various posts about worn bushes, so I'm going to try and get a look at it tomorrow as best as I can, but I was just wondering if anyone would have an idea as to where to start? No smart "at the dealer" answers Wink. I suspect something with the anti roll bar. I've tried some sharp left to right turns of the steering wheel while driving forward to induce a sway, but no sign of any knocks when performing this action - just seems to happen on bumps and doesn't seem to be isolated to bumps on any particular side. I've checked that the spare is secure, and that the swinging weights at the back are not touching anything.

Ideas welcome Smile
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #1450111st Apr 2007 10:59 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I had a noise a bit like when you drive over a manhole cover that is only slightly loose in its cradle, This noise was only from the rear and I only heard it on rough roads at slow speed. I thought it was the weights at the rear of the car. I reported it to my dealer and they changed the rear anti roll bushes under warranty. They may have checked the weights out and done something with them.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1450382nd Apr 2007 9:11 am
bkehoe

Hi Andrew, yep thats something like what it sounds like.

Got it up on ramps this morning, and I think that the roll bar is loose in it's bushes where it goes above the chassis and both sides - I can certainly move it anyway - I see from a search that Gareths had this problem as well, so will be informing the dealer.

A second issue, and it's probably a good thing that this knocking happened - while underneath I noticed that my rear diff seems to be leaking! Shocked Some pictures below. Leak is very slow as there's no oil on my driveway, but it's still sort of wet to touch. So going to go down to the dealer right now and get their opinion - lol may have their courtesy D3 at Boughrood if they think it needs repair urgently haha Wink.

Oh, was just wondering if that level of rust on the end of the prop and the diff is 'normal' for something almost 2 years old? My TD5 had nowhere near that amount of surface rust when it was the same age, though maybe it's just a side effect of my D3 having lived on the salted roads of the UK for a year.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #1451052nd Apr 2007 2:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Brendan get the diff checked out pronto ...my diff was leaking in January ....eventually the diff and the end of the drivers side drivehaft disintegrated because the workshop didn't think there was a problem with it Neutral
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1451092nd Apr 2007 2:27 pm
bkehoe

Was yours leaking much?

Post #1451102nd Apr 2007 2:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Initially I noticed about the same as what you show in the piccies it was on the spare tyre and tyre guard too...it was also accompanied by a light whistleing noise under throttle. The workshop couldn't make head'nor tail of it until the whistle turned into a heavy grating sound after Boughrood in January. Thats when they found that it had gone into meltdown Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1451122nd Apr 2007 2:50 pm
bkehoe

Back from the dealers and not impressed with the new service manager at all. Sad

Wouldn't look at it there and then, told me to come back in over three weeks for them to look at it. Didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about and dismissed anything I said about other reported problems with diffs by saying that they never had problems with any before. Suggested that I check the oil level myself if I was worried about it. When he spotted it out the window and saw I had a winch, started quizzing me on what I use the D3 for - got the impression was trying to make out that I must have damaged it myself. So then I asked what kind of oil the rear diff took, so they found out it was some strange spec Castrol oil which they didn't have, so had to do a lot of debating with them to order a bottle into stock in case I needed it.

Post #1451212nd Apr 2007 4:14 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You havn't moved to Droitwich have you!!!! he sounds about as helpfull as my local dealers. (You dont use it off road do you!!!) You should get it booked into Shukers of JV's when you are over here this weekend
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #1451732nd Apr 2007 7:23 pm
bkehoe

Heh, all I wanted was someone to poke their head under and give me their opinion about it if they couldn't look at it properly then. If they're not looking at it till the 26th, and they determine that it needs a new diff, and I have to wait another 3 weeks to get it, then I'll have done several thousand miles, including a long trip to France, which is why I'm a bit worried.

Also, was looking at GTR - aparrantly the only way to check the level is to drain the oil, and refill with the exact amount required (1.1L) - it shouldn't be filled to the filler plug, so I've no idea if there's much missing, as I don't want to drain the oil as it'll most definatly get contaminated with dirt.

Not really possible this trip Dunc - the guy I'm bringing would need to take time off work if not back on Monday evening, and I'm assuming they'd be closed on Monday morning - it's a bank holiday with you, isn't it?

Post #1451822nd Apr 2007 7:47 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Im not sure where we are meeting on Saturday morning - we met at JVs last time they might be able to have a very swift look before we go, even just to top up fluid if it is low. Worth a ring to them - I am sure Andrew will tell you who to call. I would be tempted to call out LR assist if you get no joy especially if you have a trip to France planned.

If we are meeting else where then I guess not an option. - Will you have the wheel for me have you picked them up yet?
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #1451832nd Apr 2007 7:55 pm
bkehoe

Not meeting at JVs, but maybe there'd be a minute to call in if we're passing - will ask Andrew - thanks for suggesting it . Yes, collecting the wheels on Friday afternoon on the way from the ferry. Making a drop to 90BHP on the way too. Smile

Post #1451862nd Apr 2007 8:15 pm
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Bkehoe,
check out this Castrol (Australia) site on what oils for where on D3 up to 2006:
http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/d...Model=2335
 regards
Peter

Post #1452603rd Apr 2007 3:11 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Brendan

JV Like will look at your rear diff on Saturday morning for you Thumbs Up . Down side is you will miss driving the lane, unless you drop your car off with them hitch a ride with A N Other and then collect your car to drive the Boughrood track in the afternoon Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1453943rd Apr 2007 1:40 pm
bkehoe

Excellent, much appreciated Andrew! Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #1454863rd Apr 2007 7:32 pm
bkehoe

Just to update anyone interested - JV didn't consider the leak serious, and the oil level is fine, so they'll replace the oil seal in it in 3 weeks for me.

Strangely, the knocking noise from the rear seems to have disappeared in the last few days, but has been replaced by a new knock from the front, think it's the dreaded steering knock back again. Audible on rough ground, and if I drive over a speed bump at anything other than a crawl there's a very noticable knock as the front wheels hit the bump.

Post #14678110th Apr 2007 7:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >