Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Slight vibration and noise after new steering rack?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TUK316

Wales 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Slight vibration and noise after new steering rack?

Hi, I bought new HSE in Jan this year. I identified a shake in the steering immediately which was put down to flat spots because it was a showroom car. After 2000 miles it was pulling to the left and was like driving in high winds. In fact I had to slow down on motorways because it was so bad. The car went back to the dealers for tracking which helped but didn't fully solve the problem, so a new steering rack was fitted! It is now much better but I have a slight vibration through the steering wheel when the car is stationary and there is more engine noise under acceleration. I questioned this with the dealer who said this is normal but I'm not so sure...does anyone know if there is any silencing material or padding that may have been left off when replacing the steering rack? The reason I ask is because my local dealer has left padding off my D3 which had a servo recall because 'it's too much fiddling to put back on', and the loan car which was a GS sounded quieter. The problems are only slight but I would like to put my mind at rest. Thanks for your help.

Post #107038312th Mar 2013 3:43 pm
Andy1000

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had my steering rack replaced due to a squeaking seal. I certainly can feel more engine vibration through the steering wheel after the replacement. Its now very similar to the 2008 RRS that I had before getting the D4. I wonder if they are ftting an older style rack under warrenty due to problems? Or it may be that it needs careful installation.

Andy.

Post #107108713th Mar 2013 5:26 pm
TUK316

Wales 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks Andy,
Something is definately not right. I could live with the steering unless in heavy traffic when it would become annoying . The rattle under accelaration is my greatest concern. It is a typical diesel rattle and is very loud. It may not be related but I'm covinced it wasn't there before it went in. I've done less than 3000 and would gladly take my D3 back which was quieter!

Post #107117013th Mar 2013 8:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >