Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Slip Sliding Away... and nearly an oops!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Slip Sliding Away... and nearly an oops!

Nearly bashed the DISCO3 today Sad DONT tell the wife !

Could have been the 1st to dent the car eh ? Not that I want to be of course.

Reason ?

Staying at hotel and car park full so cars were parking on the grass which was all torn up and had turned into a VERY slippery muddy mess.

I thought (of course) ACE ! mud to play in. So I drove carefully (really I did) onto the mud and the first thing I experienced was the back end was not going the same way as the front. Weird I thought.

So set the TR to Mud & Ruts and started off again... car decided (as I was mid turn effectively) to go slightly sideways. All this on a very light throttle.

Then set TR to Grass/Gravel/Snow as I thought "its very slimy mud and obviously very slippery"... seemed to make sense.

But same thing, car was very hard to control even on light and TR throttled back engine revs.

Car cut in the TC and straightened itself up... cool this is now gonna be easy.

TR settings 1 seemed to suit conditions better as the ground was hard underneath covered on a layer of slimy mud... kinda like snow and ice.

Then when turning (still going slowly) the car decided to slide very easily and nearly kissed metal with a Vectra !

Censored I thought ! I have the MOST capable vehicle in the whole flippin' car park (and on the slimy grass) and its having real trouble moving around. The others parked there all seemed very relaxed with very neat tyre tracks and little evidence of wheel spin (mud up the sides and ruts in line with their tyres)

So what the flip is going on ? Are the standard Wrangler tyres completely crap on the sloppy stuff or is this car not cracked up to what its supposed to be ?

Was being very careful indeed and was not impressed by its performance.

Am I excepting too much from very slimy ground ?

Advice would be welcome.

Cheers

-s

Post #179231st Mar 2005 7:53 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I have also noticed very good grip forwards/backwards but the tyres very poor on lateral grip!
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #179331st Mar 2005 9:10 pm
Ecosse

What tyre makes & sizes are involved - would be interesting to compare experiences with different types - I have to say that I have been surprised at how good the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 19" are on my car (they did not appear to have much tread & I was very sceptical, but they have performed excellently both on road & in snow & on grassy fields!) Very Happy

Post #179431st Mar 2005 10:10 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The most difficult (and potentially most embarrassing) offroad surface known to man is damp grass on a firm base. Put any 3 ton piece of metal on even a mild slope made of that, wearing anything less than knobbly / studded tyres and you have the recipe for disaster. All the electronic trickery might well hinder rather than help in such a situation. The other cars in the car park weigh about half of a disco 3, were probably front wheel drive and is it possible that they were driven onto the grass before the surface got damp or the top surface slightly softened.

I once attended an event at the Weardale Offroad centre were a Land Rover dealer took lots of shiny new Land Rovers to impress an invited audience. However it was a damp day, and Weardale is all grass and slopes, and the net result were lots of really disappointed punters and embarrassed Dealers as the Land Rovers simply slid about and went nowhere straight or quickly.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #179531st Mar 2005 11:54 pm
simon

I have the standard Goodyear Wrangler's 18"

Seem good going forward but pretty crap when you turn a corner. Great on Tarmac though.

Will be getting my LR Experience at Eastnor on 11th April so will ask there. Maybe how I was driving but pretty sure it wasn't as I was being very careful.

-s

Post #179631st Mar 2005 11:56 pm
simon

Smarticus,

Now you have made me feel much better ! I know it was a very 'tough' surface as I could see and feel that the ground was hard underneath but had a layer 2-3" of slimy and very wet mud on top.

Was why I chose to drive very carefully.

Would this be the same as snow though ? I keep hearing that the DISCO3 is excellent in the snow.

Once on the untouched grass the sliding almost disappeared.

But yes... potentially VERY embarrassing !

-s

Post #17971st Apr 2005 12:01 am
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Re: Slip Sliding Away... and nearly an oops!

Its the Wranglers. They're crappola.

I spent five minutes rocking myself out of mud...

After getting out, I discovered the mud was not even deep enough to touch the freaking RIM!!!!

The Wranglers are supposed to be M/S. Well, I know for a fact the 'M' part is incorrect!!

Post #18011st Apr 2005 5:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

The tyres fitted as standard in the UK are for use on the roads even though they are classed M/S. If you want to go virtually anywhere off road and on road then the best is the Goodyear G4. These are general purpose but do make a little road noise. Take a look at the G4 Disco in one of Martins gallery pictures. I use them all the time and they return excellent mileage, but cornering has to be considered on normal roads, especially in the wet, but then the car is a 4x4 and not a BMW X5 which is really a road car. One problem with the G4 is when towing they throw stones badly and if a trailer is on the back, can do a bit of damage. They also throw stones at other cars. Twisted Evil

Post #18041st Apr 2005 8:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >