Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

To the slope
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
To the slope

In the middle of February the D3 took a friend and me comfortably to Zermatt and back, for a skiing holiday. Overriding the navigation system, we chose a route through the mountains, past Laax and Flims. I thought that we were going to have to turn back but found, at the last moment that the Lukmanierpass was open. The road was, however, far too well cleared, with only about 10 metres of wind-blown snow right at the top. The drive was very scenic, though. Later we took the car-train from Realp to Oberwald, to get us through to Zermatt/Täsch.

We had a great week in Zermatt, skiing there and over to Breuil-Cervinia in Italy. The weather was fantastic and the Matterhorn ever dominating.

While we were there, I learned that the record for climbing from the Hörnli Hut (the black dot on the ridge just above my helmet) to the summit and back down again (that's 1218 metres height difference) is 2 hours 33 mins. Phew - I get puffed just looking at it! But if you want to see views from the top, I recommend the panoramic photos on Matthias Taugwalder's web-site, http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen5/f38-matterhorn.html

Probably the climb is more for mountain goats than me, and we saw some of them right beside the top station of the Gornergrat rack and pinion railway.

After a most enjoyable week, we drove back by a different route, through the Lötschberg Tunnel (by train) and then along the Inn valley. We drove over the Arlberg Pass but there was no snow on the road there either. However, the Disco knew where it wanted to go - to the slope Very Happy

We settled for some very tasty apfelstrudel.

All in all, a very successful trip and the car behaved perfectly.

Eric

Post #2680214th Mar 2008 11:37 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Excellent! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2684675th Mar 2008 11:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You lucky, lucky, lucky..... Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2685436th Mar 2008 10:16 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Excellent post - hope to do something similar next season with our three children.

Zermatt in Zermatt - couldn't be better. Bow down Thanks for cheering up my day Thumbs Up

Dexter

Post #2685676th Mar 2008 11:11 am
espri

Dexter wrote:

Zermatt in Zermatt

My D3 is actually Arctic Frost. But I did choose the colour because of the snowy connotations! And I'm sure I'd have picked Zermatt, if the colour had been available when I bought the car Laughing

Post #2687276th Mar 2008 7:15 pm
chillisauce

Switzerland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did you have winter tyres on or take chains in the back?. I drove to Geneva last week and am going up the hill this weekend on regular 19's. Should I be worried?? The motor ran like a dream! What a beaut...
 D3 Zermatt Silver TDV6 HSE (have)
Triumph Tiger 800XC (just have)
Defender 110 (did have)
SIII Ex-MoD 109 (did have)
Orange P7 + Specalized Roubaix (still have) 

Post #2690837th Mar 2008 11:53 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Apologies Esprit Embarassed

Your D3 looks almost as good in Artic Frost as it would in Zermatt. Laughing

Dexter

Post #2691667th Mar 2008 3:33 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Beautiful scenery there, I must go skiing again one day. Not been for around 10 years due to the arrival of kids etc Sad
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #2691737th Mar 2008 3:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

chillisauce wrote:
Did you have winter tyres on or take chains in the back?.

I have winter tyres - they're basically required in Germany nowadays. You can be fined, if you are found without them in snowy conditions (though hardly enough to worry about, €20 or €40).

I had chains with me too - two sets! That's probably what kept the snow away Shocked

However, I don't think you really need to worry. The only problem might arise if you are caught out in a heavy fall of snow (or drive some road where the authorities require chains or winter equipment). And if the Disco is going to get stuck, there's a 99% chance that someone else will have blocked the road beforehand. Normally the roads are cleared very efficiently in alpine countries and the time when driving conditions are difficult is pretty short. I ski regularly (admittedly mostly in relatively low areas) but haven't used chains in the past 20 years.

Eric

Post #2692867th Mar 2008 8:03 pm
Nat

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Aww those photos are fab, we ski every year and drive using the eurotunnel. This year we we have had to put everything on hold due to my pregnancy and having total withdrawal symtoms Laughing

For some reason we are noticing that our customers are all going on ski drive holidays and hubby keeps threatening to hide in the rear of their cars.

Looking forward to taking the new D3 over to Chamonix next year though although I am sure it won't be as quick as the Volvo.

Post #2694077th Mar 2008 10:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >