Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

smoke from the pre-heater!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
vito

smoke from the pre-heater!

Today something scary happened! Shocked
I was parking the car, when a cloud of smoke appeared from the front left side of the car, with an intense smell of burned diesel fuel. I looked in the engine and the smoke seemed to come under the Webasto pre-heater.
The pre-heater was apparently working, with a low continuous noise. After few seconds of the engine running on idle, I heard a strange, louder, bubble-like noise coming form the heater, and smell and smoke were coming out again. I called the dealer, fearing of a fuel leak possibly leading to a fire. He said that is the normal functioning of the pre-heater. Confused
I am a little concerned, since the air temperature was 9 degree Celsius above zero , the engine was already warm, and I don’t know why the pre-heater was actually working. Moreover, I never experienced smoke or smell in 8000 kilometres so far, even in temperature much colder.
Please let me know if the dealer is right or I better run for help. Bow down

Greetings from Italy, Vito

Post #359614th Jan 2006 9:09 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Mine does the same at up to about 7oC - doesn't smoke sometimes as much as others - I understand that a bit of smoke is normal - it is a 'fuel burning heater' after all Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 4th Jan 2006 11:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #359624th Jan 2006 9:15 pm
BN

England 

It is an oil burning miniature heater. The smoke is exactly the same as a normal house central heating system exhaust (chimney), when cold it smokes a little and can smell of diesel.

Post #359694th Jan 2006 9:48 pm
vito

Thank you for the replay dickgriff,
it has been very reassuring: Smile maybe the unusual smoke was due to some low quality diesel fuel. However, I am still surprised why it was working after a one hour drive, being indeed a pre-heater.

See you, Vito

Post #359704th Jan 2006 9:51 pm
vito

Thank you too, BN, this is exactly what the dealer told me.
However, I almost reached for the fire extinguisher! Rolling Eyes

Looking forward to see you in Ciociaria somehow in the future!
Zermatt Silver

Post #359754th Jan 2006 10:06 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Sorry to have a negative voice here Vito, but it doesn't sound right to me that the webasto is firing up when the air temperature is 9 degrees AND the engine is already hot. The manual says the webasto is programmed to fire up when the engine is cold and the external air temperature is below 5 degrees. I guess the webasto must have a temperature sensor in it to "know" what the external temperature is and it sounds to me as if that may be faulty on yours. I don't imagine the heater coming on when it is not necessary is dangerous, but it will use more fuel and create more exhaust than is needed, so if it continues to do that I would take it to the dealer to get it checked out.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #359974th Jan 2006 11:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I agree with smarticus - my heater only comes on for the first few minutes or so after starting from cold - not 1 hour later Shocked - worth a check up with Dr.Landy I think
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #360034th Jan 2006 11:30 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The pre heater *should* switch on at 8 degrees and below AND if the engine coolant temperature is 75 (ish) degrees and below, anything else may indicate a sensor fault, the FBH running at other times won't cause any danger but will waste fuel Rolling Eyes

Post #360044th Jan 2006 11:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

vito wrote:
Thank you too, BN, this is exactly what the dealer told me.
However, I almost reached for the fire extinguisher! Rolling Eyes

Looking forward to see you in Ciociaria somehow in the future!
Zermatt Silver

My pleasure, should be in Italy in a few weeks time.

Post #360125th Jan 2006 12:27 am
johnflavell

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
pre heater

vito

I am led to believe by a good friend of mine [YOSSER 395] that the pre heater with continue to work if the internal car heater is up high thus taking heat from the engine on a cold day[up to 8 degrees]. Check MPG on cold and warm days???
 TDV6 Se Zermat. 07  
Post #360745th Jan 2006 5:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: pre heater

johnflavell wrote:
vito

I am led to believe by a good friend of mine [YOSSER 395] that the pre heater with continue to work if the internal car heater is up high thus taking heat from the engine on a cold day[up to 8 degrees]. Check MPG on cold and warm days???

Could explain the lousy MPG at the moment - 27 ish now and not 30 ish

-s

Post #360765th Jan 2006 5:43 pm
BN

England 

The FBH will use a lot of fuel especially in cities when tickover and slow running. The FBH is an addition to the main heater, so turning up the heat does not necessarily mean it will keep running. If the engine is not warm enough it will and as LR's cool quite well at slow speeds again in cities it may run far more.

Post #360795th Jan 2006 5:48 pm
Wildrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
FBHeater

My FBHeater is constantly on when temperature below 5degrees even when engine warm. From previous posts I get the feeling the engine runs cold and the thermostat to turn of the FBH should be set to 75degrees. Is there anyway to manually control it on. My fuel economy stands at 24mpg now as alot of short journeys and FBH always on.

Cheers
2.7 S+ manual

Post #363486th Jan 2006 11:26 am
vito

Thanks folks

Today I noticed that the pre-heater stays on even after a long trip, when the engine is definitively hot (althoug the air temperature was rather low for Italy satandards). It also remained turned on for maybe one minute after turning the engine off.
The fuel consumption seems to be somehow increased lately(in the first 7000 km it stayed on 10,7 km per liter, while after resetting 1000 km ago, now is set on 11,8 km per liter), but I’am not sure if this can depend on various driving conditions.
However, I should take the car to service in a few weeks (they have to replace both headlights because of water leaks), and I’ll talk again with the technician. When I phoned reporting the smoke, he asked me the air temperature (it was 9°C), but he said everything was normal. Confused

Bye, Vito

Post #364496th Jan 2006 11:36 pm
P. Bianchi

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

vito wrote:

The fuel consumption seems to be somehow increased lately(in the first 7000 km it stayed on 10,7 km per liter, while after resetting 1000 km ago, now is set on 11,8 km per liter), but I’am not sure if this can depend on various driving conditions.

Hi Vito. Are u sure those figures are actually km/L and not L/100 km instead? if you went from 10,7 to 11,8 km/L your consuption has decreased, not increased, and these are excellent figures btw, on a Tdi i only did 11,0 km/L on average.

ciao
P. Bianchi
 P. Bianchi, D3 TDV6 HSE - manual, nav 4x4 info, electric roof, rear diff, EGR blanked, EPB actuator changed 3rd times --> twirling balls, compressor twice, no longer MSV-2, Oltrepo' Pavese Hills, Pavia, Italy  
Post #3769516th Jan 2006 3:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >