DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Snow chains - help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
adiek18

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Snow chains - help!

Hi all,

I've been following this site for 3 months now and finally, 6 days ago, picked up my new Disco 3! Of course, being 24, its more a question of image (hence the black with blacked out windows spec!) than going off-road. However, I had a great time on a Land Rover Experience day when I bought my Freelander so my Disco may just make it into the muddy stuff one day.

Anyway, I'm going to the Alps on a ski trip over Christmas/New Year. Armed with my terrain response and sat nav I am fairly confident that I will make it to there safely. But my brother in law suggests I still need snow chains (a review of the map suggests i'll be sticking to the major tourist roads which I assume will be well kept given the volume of traffic that time of year). My Land Rover dealer suggests that I will be fine as the roads will be salted.

Please can I have a third, fourth and fifth opinion? I don't want to spend money on snow chains if its not necessary!!

Many thanks, I absolutely love the site and have picked up lots of useful tips over the last few months.

Very Happy
 Java Black / Alpaca leather Disco 3, TDV6 HSE, blacked out windows and chrome finished side steps. Yeah!!  
Post #10282618th Nov 2006 8:51 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Use the search facility (top of the page). Snow chains & alternatives have been discussed many times.
Iirc, most never actually need them, but it maybe law to carry them in some areas.
Enjoy the snow,

Post #10282818th Nov 2006 9:02 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You mention Alps... but where exactly ? Each pass has it's own restrictions although usualy depends if they are Swiss, French or Italien roads.

Police will NOT let you drive above the set altitude for that road without chains and it varies per road although above 1500m you start to see the signs. They are pretty strict on Swiss side but less so on French and Italien roads.

I got stuck early this year near Gstaad in between avalanches so it shows that even with chains, 4x4 and winter tyres you should always take care.

PS: Winter tyres ! You will not be going up any passes without them. well not at least back down shortly after the initial climb.

Post #10283518th Nov 2006 10:35 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Chains

In summary, they may not always be necessary but they are a requirement, just like a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, warning triangle and a set of spare bulbs - dependent on where you are going !!
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #10283718th Nov 2006 10:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adiek18

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks guys,

Finding some good discussions from the search facility so that should able to answer my question.

I'm off to Alpe D'Huez (France).
 Java Black / Alpaca leather Disco 3, TDV6 HSE, blacked out windows and chrome finished side steps. Yeah!!  
Post #10284318th Nov 2006 11:26 pm
steve_d3

French Alps are much less stricter then Swiss Alps...but even with the swiss alps you can drive up all the way to 1500 meters without chains..you are not obliged by law to put them on...when i used to go skiing in the alps in switzerland, Davos, Grindelval, i only twice used chains on my 5 series bmw. They are a pain to put on...you basically put them on at the bottom, before you climb up to the top..You stop by the side of the road and put them on...ten minutes job...some models are easier to put on then others....cheap and easy to buy, you can buy them at any shop in the alps that sells motoring stuff.
There ar also winter tyres which are much thicker then ordinary tires and have better holding then normal tyres...and there are also the TYRES WITH STUDS..TH SCANDANAVIANS use these tyres in a big way in the winter...but these tyres are forbidden for road use in germany and switzerland ( I dont know about france)...the reason being the studs wear out the roads...so the germans believe Smile

Post #10285419th Nov 2006 12:39 am
90BHP

Snow tyres

French alps - so it depends on how mch you feel the desire to comply with the requirements Laughing

Snow chains may not be required. Winter tyres may not be allowed (with studs). Generally they are a narrower profile and full of studs. Here's an extreme example ....

Post #10287319th Nov 2006 8:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Adiek,

I drove to Alpe D'Huez last January, generally speaking you won't need the chains until you are very close to the resort. However if the conditions are serious the police might stop traffic and prevent you from attempting the climb unless you have the correct equipment. D'Huez has the famous 21 hairpins on the climb and we did 19 of them before snow covered the road and people started to put chains on! Needless to say I was only going to put them on if it was absolutely necessary i.e. no traction. Friends who were following in a 2 wheel drive did struggle but even they didn't bother using chains.
In my experience if the conditions dictate the use of chains on the D3 then you would have allready seen a lot of stranded cars.
You can find out if winter equipment is recomended(unnecessary) or mandatory before you go on this site www.alpedhuez.com
Have good one.
Regards Andy.
p.s. I did buy chainswww.rudchain.com but I doubt I'll ever need them.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #10288319th Nov 2006 10:00 am
steve_d3

HI BHP..where have you been using these STUDS Shocked
It can only be in scandinavia, US? or maybe france while the police not looking 8)

Post #10288419th Nov 2006 10:34 am
dochummer

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

In the US, after purchasing snow chains - if you don't use them then you can return them after the winter season is over... Don't know if you have that option where you're at....
 2005 Zambezi V8 SE  
Post #10293219th Nov 2006 5:48 pm
90BHP

Studs

Rolling with laughter

Have a look in my gallery for a clue. I do some freelance photography for the motoring press (when I have time) and thise studs were on Petter Solberg's Subaru at the start of SS18 on this years WRC Sweden ....
Post #10294119th Nov 2006 6:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >