DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Snow Chains for rent (19")
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Snow Chains for rent (19")

Hi guys,

Am planning a trip to Dinner Plain over the Queens Birthday weekend and have started thinking about snow chains. I've read a couple of posts where some say Legislation (Vic) has been passed making them complulsory for all vehicles when driving in the snow fields and others that say 4WD's don't need to carry them???

Does anyone know for sure??

Here's a brilliant idea Idea Idea Does anyone have a set of chains that will fit 19" wheels that I could borrow for this weekend ?? Bow down Bow down (for a small fee of course>> Thumbs Up ) Chances are that I will not have to put them on and just carry them but I suspect that there will be no choice but to get them...

Any advice is welcomed.
Cheers
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #16016422nd May 2007 3:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mobyone,

You have a PM. But I can't hire my chains to you since they won't clear your upper front suspension arms.

I have some suggestions for you about looking for chains in my PM.

This is what I found on the Mt Hotham website about snow chains. It clearly states you must carry chains at all times.

http://www.mthotham.com.au/travel/driving/20055816401.htm

I know at Mt Buller this is not the case anymore and day trippers don't need to carry chains but Mt Hotham is different since it is much more exposed and usually has the Harrietville side closed due to blizzards. Lets hope we get the blizzard conditions this year because I didn't hit the snow last year due to the cr@p conditions.

Let me know if you find a solution for your 19" wheels.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #16016622nd May 2007 4:00 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

IN agreement with Chris... but basically, it's not worth fronting up to the snowfields without chains, as conditions can change quickly in the Vic Alps, and you don't want to risk being turned away... Mt Hotham and Falls Creek are definite "carry chains at all times" places. It's rare that you'd have to fit them in a Disco, but if it's icy, you want them on!

MobyOne - where are you based? IN Melbourne, Roof Carrier Systems carry a very large range of snow chains, as well as roof racks systems...

cheers,

Simon
========
From the Mt Buller web site:

Wheel chains - Day visitors
Mt Buller's wheel chain requirements are decided on a daily basis and are determined by weather forecasts and existing road conditions. Chain requirements may vary between 2-Wheel Drive (2WD) and 4-Wheel Drive (4WD) and All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, as each of these types of cars react differently to snow and icy road conditions.

Daily wheel chain requirements are communicated via the local accommodation providers, retail outlets and authorities who come into contact with people travelling to the Resort. They also appear on large flashing roadside billboards as you enter and leave Mansfield and on the daily snow report. Contact Resort Management directly on (03) 5777 6077 for the most current requirements.

Wheel chains - Overnight stays
If you are staying in the Resort overnight or traveling beyond the Skating Rink car park area and past the snowline, you are required to carry chains at all times as weather conditions may change unexpectedly throughout the evening
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #16016722nd May 2007 4:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >