Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Software upgrades?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SBodle

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Software upgrades?

Had my 56 reg SE for 10 months now and coming up for a 45k service.As I run a garage I plan for us to do the servicing. My only concern is that I may miss any software upgrades. It was bang upto date when I got it in June 09, but how can I find out if there have been any upgrades since that I may miss out on? Thanks for any help you can give me! Confused

Post #62185016th Mar 2010 2:39 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think the only way is at a LR dealer. Not sure if you can get them with the IDS/AutoLogic updates or not?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #62188316th Mar 2010 4:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SBodle

Thanks for your quick reply. May have to speak to an independant dealer to see if there have been any updates each year. If not then all good and well, if there have been see what they would charge to do the update?

Post #62189216th Mar 2010 4:13 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

There will be at least the air suspension software upgrade that reduces the system pressure slightly to prolong pump life, so would suggest you get it to someone who has IDS/SDD to install the latest updates.

Regards
Steve

Post #62195816th Mar 2010 6:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SBodle

Thank you!

Post #62196916th Mar 2010 6:51 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

SBodle
Interesting subject for discussion and i hope other will join in with their thoughts.

I expect that many owners have assumed that whenever their Disco 3 goes in for routine servicing to a main dealer, that all their on board systems are reprogrammed to the latest software version. Perhaps it is, and perhaps it is not. i am not even sure it is specified on a service sheet at all.

However, since we have released ECU flashing capabilities on our FAULTMATE MSV-2, and i mention that not as some promotional factor but only to highlight that due to this, many are now aware as to just how long some of these systems can take to reprogram. The Touch screen for example is well known for taking 50 minutes, X that by 2 if you want to enable NAV on the Move, the engine management is not far behind and so on. There is also no "update all" button on an IDS system, meaning that for each and every ECU, the operator must go into the module reprogramming section, select the relevant ECU and then click on "re program existing module". This causes the IDS to spend several minutes reading some info from the vehicle, going through its database and by an appallingly messy process, somehow eventually select the relevant files to offer for programming in. In most cases, it does not state what is already in there, just what files it has chosen to program in.

In some cases, although the file names may be the same as those programmed in last time, the contents of the files may have been updated anyway, so the only way to ensure the latest software is being used is to make sure you are using the latest IDS disk and that all patches are applied and then actually program the ECU with the suggested files anyway.

As there are so many software update able ECU's on a Disco 3, typically 15 - 20 on a Hi ICE spec model, i hope that most would appreciate my stating the fact of the matter, in that anyone wanting to update all their ECU's on a D3 would be looking at several hours to do so. As servicing does not seem to include these several hours labor on top of the usual service time, i strongly suspect that most Disco 3's, even if they have been serviced regularly at a main dealer, may well have a number of ECU's in them that have actually never been updated since the day the vehicle was built.

Post #62197316th Mar 2010 6:59 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

To be honest, most updates are to sort a problem, update either a bug in the software, or change parameters to make things function better.
The best way of keeping abreast of these is reading all the TSB's & special service messages, then you can decide on which updates would benefit. At the moment it's only really the suspension one which springs to mind, there are a couple engine ecu updates which update stalling issues, but nothing major.

For example I'm writing this on a pc with Windows XP, works perfectly well, I could upgrade to Vista or windows 7, but do I want to?

Regards
Steve

Post #62218217th Mar 2010 7:32 am
oradba69

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

SteveNorman wrote:
There will be at least the air suspension software upgrade that reduces the system pressure slightly to prolong pump life, so would suggest you get it to someone who has IDS/SDD to install the latest updates.

Regards
Steve

Hi sorry for the question that may have been answered before (new to the board and still working through all the great info) but is there a central place where it is possible to see new releases, when they have been issued and what they suppose to fix?
Much appreciated.

Post #62219917th Mar 2010 9:12 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Well, you would need to subscribe at www.landrovertechinfo.com
GTR holds all the manuals, TSB's SSM's wiring etc. But usually it gets posted on here what is new & needs fixing Thumbs Up

Regards
Steve

Post #62220217th Mar 2010 9:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >