Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Sony NV-U92T GPS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Sony NV-U92T GPS

I have a euro-SE spec D3 with base (i.e. crap) radio and no sat-nav....I've been looking at various aftermarket devices to stick in the cubby-hole at the top of the dashboard in the same place as the factory fit sat-nav and this is the best I've found so far:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...gation#tab

Does anybody own or know anything about this system? It's currently on offer at around 370 EUR locally (I suspect this is because the newer version is coming out with integrated bluetooth).

Any advice would be very welcome! Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2007629th Sep 2007 10:15 am
Claud

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I looked at this unit as it seemed to offer everything I needed, however two draw backs I noticed, it relies upon using the suction mount at all times and will limit locating it in the central shelf of the D3 dash board. Secondly it did not have an external GPS antennna connection which can be an issue with a heated screen.

I opted for a Garmin 610 with TMC (may be a UK only unit) which I have semi permananetly mounted in the central shelf on the dash with a black vinyl surround - almost factory look. The Garmin widescreen is much thinner than the Sony and enabled a flush fit at a similar angle to the factory unit.

I had issues with the TMC signal and connected the TMC aerial to the radio aerial using some adaptors from the local motor accessory store. I also fitted the Garmin GPS extension aerial and installed it on the far left where the windscreen is clear with no heated elements. All the wiring has been hidden and looks neat.

I pick up traffic data as I drive the drive and can plan my route to avoid A3 & M25 jams on the way to work.
 2016 D4 Landmark
2010 Freelander SD4 XS Auto
and a few older Land Rovers from the 1950's 

Post #20142510th Sep 2007 9:30 pm
PaulP

Claud wrote:
it relies upon using the suction mount at all times and will limit locating it in the central shelf of the D3 dash board.

That shouldn't be a problem for me as I intend to fit it (permanently) into the centre shelf of the D3 at the top of the dash. I know that it uses the support to connect to the TMC antenna that is located in said support. I also hope that I can plug the 12V cable into the support too rather than the unit itself. I think that there is enough space to hold the display in the 'factory' position and also fit the support behind it.

Claud wrote:
Secondly it did not have an external GPS antennna connection which can be an issue with a heated screen.

No heated screen in my D3 so that should solve that problem Laughing I can't see anything in your gallery, so please post a few pics of the Garmin install if you get a chance....I would be very interested to see it. I'm very interested to see how others have give various aftermarket gadgets that 'factory-fit' look in their D3.
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20146010th Sep 2007 10:39 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

It's way to early to comment on the unit as none have reached reviewers as yet. It looks nice and appears to be using a customised version of Navigon's GPS engine so should be capable.

However, personally I'd stick to solutions from Garmin and TomTom, much better support and web resources for plug-ins POIs etc. AIUI, the Sony is a closed system with no support for custom POI sets from the many web resources.
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #20153811th Sep 2007 8:36 am
PaulP

Hi Darren,

Cheers for the insider info Thumbs Up

To be honest, I've also had trouble finding reviews and thought that it was just too early, but I spotted somewhere that Sony are already replacing it with the NV-U93T so I didn't think it could be that new (although that would have explained the discount the shop was offering).

I've been running Tom Tom on my PDA for the last two years and I've never really found any real need for aftermarket POIs. Yes it's handy for the speed cameras, but I think that this is also included in the Sony unit (although as you say, it's not as easy to keep updated).

What I really wanted was a large-screened GPS that would look reasonably 'standard' in the centre shelf and also had a very nice/clear display (I find the TomTom ones are 'alright' but nothing special).

The Garmin ones seem ok, but I couldn't find any with a comparable screen size/features for the same price....

Does anyone know anybody from a popular website that could give advice about which models are the best?? Whistle Wink
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20313014th Sep 2007 2:21 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

There are very few solutions with large screens and none that I could recommend. If it were my money I would consider the units from Garmin and TomTom only. None of the rest have all the features I would consider worth having.

FWIW I use a TomTom 720, this offers all the features I need, has a good UI (with the option to move the info bar to the right at last) and these newer units also have custom cursors, perhaps a bit of a novelty, see here and my creation below!

Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #20317514th Sep 2007 3:37 pm
Claud

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

PaulP sorry its taken a while, I haven't moved the Disco since my last post. I did today and took a picture of the Garmin 610 on the dashboard.

I was cutting across country this evening to avoid the Friday M25/A3 crush - glad I did.

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 Landmark
2010 Freelander SD4 XS Auto
and a few older Land Rovers from the 1950's 

Post #20325514th Sep 2007 8:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >