Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Soon to be D4 Owner... Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dutycalls

Soon to be D4 Owner... Questions

Hi Guys,

New to the site and awaiting delivery of my new D4 HSE.

This will be my first Land Rover and indeed my first vehicle of these sort of proportions. I have a history of sports orientated vehicles but I'm surprisingly excited about the prospect of a bigger, more comfortable, go anywhere vehicle. Have traditionally spent a lot of time in BMW's and Audi's and thought I would stay within these Marques when purchasing a new family vehicle. That was until I first got into a D4 and was immediately impressed by the look and feel and general feel good factor inside the vehicle. One test drive and I was sold.

A few questions, some more significant than others;

1. Heard a fair bit about Land Rover reliability issues and have been warned to expect them. I am wondering if this viewpoint is generally more based on historical issues with Land Rover, rather than being relevent to their current model range. I'm sure a fair few of you have had more than one Land Rover, so be interested to hear your viewpoints. Seem's odd to me that a marque that is considered premium and which sells so many vehicles (judging by the many you see on the roads) would be so popular and succesful if they were really that unreliable.

2. Subjective, but how dark is the factory fit privacy glass on the D4? Do some feel it's too dark or perhaps too light?

3. I've ordered a Stornoway/Ebony colour combination. I've seen a few pics on here of Stornoway models, but I was wondering if anybody has any high resolution pictures that really show off the colours qualities?

I'm sure I will have many more questions during my journey into the world of Land Rover.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Post #58285416th Jan 2010 5:54 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Welcome DC

Sweet model to start your LR life with Thumbs Up Enjoy
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #58285916th Jan 2010 5:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Welcome to the madhouse dc!! Re reliability you just have to be lucky or unlucky. I run 2 06MY D3s and mine (as opposed to SWMBO's) has had more things go wrong than all of my other cars combined, first owned a car in 86. You pays you money and takes your chance. My sig line sums up my attitude to LR's reliability. The reason I have two is I offroad mine (unbeatable for offroading and comfort) and SWMBO's as I live in the Highlands and whilst the south grinds to a halt with a couple of inches of snow, we've had over 3ft and kept fully mobile.

PS We also have two so we have a reasonale chance that one will be working at any time, we also have a Jazz that we haven't chopped in case they were both down (couple of times both in the shop at the same time), it hasn't put a foot wrong!

Post #58287116th Jan 2010 6:12 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Welcome, and enjoy Very Happy

Factory glass tint is fine on dark interior - you can't see in, but it's not the full drug dealer look! With the light interior in mine I think a tad darker would have been good - it's pretty good at hiding the kids, but less good from a "privacy when vehicle empty" perspective.

As to reliability, I think that as with any vehicle it's largely pot luck, and an owners' forum is probably somewhat self selecting in that a lot of people with problems will come here for answers. I know the BMW forums I looked at before we bought a 5 series were no better, and that's supposed to be a reliable car! Let's say that 5000 miles in, I've not had anything wrong that shouldn't have been sorted in PDI (a rattle, and one shot window that only half worked)

Martin

Post #58289216th Jan 2010 6:35 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Martin you need to update your avatar!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Agreed with above, reading forums will fill you with dread. LRs have a way of getting into your blood. SWMBO promised me a divorce if I bought another one, then I bought her one. She's still here! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #58289716th Jan 2010 6:42 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi and welcome.
I'm sure you'll love your new toy when you get it. Mine is also Stornoway Grey with Ebony & wood interior. & I think it looks great - I'll try and take some pics and post them for you. (assuming it isn't back in the garage tomorrow for "low battery issue) The factory fit privacy glass is about right in my opinion. It is just dark enough to make most of the interior invisible to the casual snooper. Any darker and I think it would be a bit oppressive for folks in the back.
Reliability has not been great in my case Sad but in fairness this is my 4th L/R (V8 D1 & 2x Freelander) and in general the rest of them have all been very reliable.
When it's working rght is is unbeatable Very Happy
Richard

Post #58290916th Jan 2010 7:09 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi dutycalls

just going slightly off topic but can you tell me when you ordered yours and when you were given the build date as i ordered mine mid december and STILL waiting for a build date

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #58294816th Jan 2010 8:11 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
OT - Avatars

DSL wrote:
Martin you need to update your avatar!!!

Yes I know, but I haven't had the opportunity to get a suitable replacement shot yet (too damn cold for boating of any kind since i got the D4!) Shocked

Post #58303216th Jan 2010 9:52 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Factory glass is 30% tint and looks good IMO Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #58303416th Jan 2010 9:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dutycalls

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thriftwood - Look forward to seeing those shots. I've found that Stornoway can look quite flat in photographs, but I think in reality it has much more 'sparkle'. I usually like quite dark colours, but on the D4, I think the lines suit lighter colours, so Stornoway is the half way house for me.

Shawn - Committed to Order in Late December (Just before Christmas) and I'm told delivery is expected in Mid March. When I first test drove the vehicle in Early December, I was told that there may be supply for January, but once ordered, there were problems getting the surround camera system and 20" alloys included on the specification, hence now a mid March delivery. I was also told that with the recent bad weather, the factory itself had suffered some problems and hence LR thought some 'slight' delays may occur as a result.

On the reliability issue, I can totally understand that sometimes it's the luck of the draw and I have had my issues with some of the German marques, although usually just niggly faults and no show stoppers. My concern was more the perception that LR's were somehow intrinsically flawed vehicles and that major mechanical failure was common place. However, If I was that concerned, I wouldn't have ordered Very Happy

I've read the various threads on different aspects of the D4's performance and options, and I think for me (and my wife), where offroading will purely be for pleasure purposes and likely infrequent, we still feel that as a road vehicle, the D4 is offering us the best all round practicality, relative luxury and safety we want in a family vehicle and probably the best on the market. Very much looking forward to it.

Post #58309416th Jan 2010 11:06 pm
sandylane

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Snap!

I also ordered a Stornoway XS with ebony interior Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up - I also put my order in the week before Xmas and am expecting a mid to late March delivery. Big Cry

Post #58331917th Jan 2010 3:27 pm
sandylane

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

This member has a D4 in Ebony interior, not many pics of ebony interior about.....http://www.disco4.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17298

Post #58370418th Jan 2010 7:10 am
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi dutycalls.

I too was new to Land Rover after years of German cars with total reliability and high quality, so I was a bit apprehensive.

I was after a go-anywhere, practical, yet luxurious car - good for family and good for business. To be honest I didn't like the D3. The engine was not strong enough, and the interior was not good enough. The D4 changed all that, so I took the plunge.

At first I thought the car was too big, but quite soon it shrunk! The recent weather put it to the test, and it performed brilliantly. It has lived up to my (very high) aspirations, so you've made a great choice.

I have pics of the ebony interior in my gallery. I tinted the glass less than factory fit levels, more smoked than tinted. Very pleased with the outcome.
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #58394018th Jan 2010 2:09 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

shawn wrote:
hi dutycalls

just going slightly off topic but can you tell me when you ordered yours and when you were given the build date as i ordered mine mid december and STILL waiting for a build date

cheers shawn

Shawn you should have shopped round for dealers who had stock, ordered mine Wednesday colected Friday, outstanding Thumbs Up
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #58396118th Jan 2010 2:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >