Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Soon to be owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Yes see it as part of the research learning experience....you will see loads of alright cars whereby the car has been just treated as a family hack.... then the ‘one’ will appear which has been cosseted and cherished by the last owner....

A couple of years back we were looking for a BMW estate for the missus... two years old... therefore you would have expected most to be in great condition....couldn’t believe the number of dogs we saw...one of which had suspiciously been valeted badly and carpets were all wet and crusty.... certainly not like the interior a two year old should have had.... lifted up the rear headrest where the valeters had missed..OMG... don’t know whether it was chocolate or Censored but clearly some families don’t give a Censored about looking after things.... down the back of the seats everywhere! yuk!

Anyway next car was stunning and pristine and that was the one we got!

Keep searching!
You’re looking for a great fat wad of invoices! Personally I also look at whether all four tyres are matching... and good premium brands.... you can easily tell that way whether the car has been looked after at no expense or whether the previous owner has scrimped.... Very Happy

Post #194464312th May 2018 1:20 pm
Barney67

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

[quote="ianm27"]Sorry those two didn't work out for you

But, as others have said, take your time in spending your hard earned, you will soon get used to owning a brilliant car and being a pauper

That’s what I’m hoping for... I think 🤔 Laughing

Post #194464812th May 2018 1:59 pm
Barney67

You’re right there farmer chalk , there seems to be a large spectrum to what different people mean by excellent or pristine , not to worry , onwards and upwards to the next one ☝️

Post #194464912th May 2018 2:03 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

And here we all were expecting to welcome a new baby to the family!! Very Happy Never mind, you'll be the wiser and happier man in the end. Oh and possibly poorer too!

Post #194480313th May 2018 1:05 pm
Barney67

Haha , yeah I’m definitely wiser now ,
would I be right in thinking when it says full service history- then it should be at 12 mths intervals if it occurs before 15 k ?

I contacted one seller that said fsh on a 2011 d4 hse with 55k yet when I asked he said it had 3 stamps and the next one is due and the car was £23000

If it was supposed to be low mileage I assumed it should be stamped at 12 mth intervals

Post #194480813th May 2018 1:27 pm
PROFSR G

Human nature being what it is, sometimes means we don't always do things when we're supposed to. I wouldn't get too pernickity about exact dates and mileage regarding service history. So long as there are no large gaps between the recorded mileage at each service. If a car runs a couple of k over its due date I really would not be too bothered. What you want to see is consistency by the owner regarding their care of the car, and better still, a file of all receipts/works carried out is very big plus in my book. Three stamps over 55k indicates to me either: A missed service, B one due now, or C overextended intervals. Given its seven years old now I would also be concerned about timing belts at this point.

Post #194482413th May 2018 2:16 pm
Barney67

Yeah that was my thinking regarding the seven year service, I did ask the question but he never got back to me , can’t think why not 🤔😄
Also files and receipts seem like rocking horse Censored to find , all they ever offer is a stamped book, which I do suppose if it is md or franchise then it would suffice , but it just gives a bit more piece of Mind actually seeing all the paperwork in order , or maybe I’m a bit too 😩😄

Post #194482913th May 2018 2:27 pm
PROFSR G

Paperwork and provenance is King. In my 38 years working on vehicles I've seen some beautifully looked after cars, but sometimes not a shred of evidence for service work. When I bought my D3 the indy said the belts were just done by previous owner. I said where's the evidence? He had none, and I was going to walk away. I subsequently knocked him down another €600 to take account of doing this.

When I went to do the belts a couple of weeks later, I could see they were in fact done recently. I had by now bought the parts so I did them again anyway. Having seen my share of snapped belts you really can't beat peace of mind on this.

Post #194483413th May 2018 2:44 pm
Barney67

Wise words my friend, it pays to be a little cautious .

Post #194483613th May 2018 2:51 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 

Oh dear....we are all set to look at a 160K+ miles D3 which seems perfect, but I have been reading this afternoon all the "snapped crank" threads.......which has lead me back to maybe looking at a 2 owner 60K mile Lexus RX (we have owned one before which didn't put a tread wrong in 50K miles sold at 120K).

We love the D4........it is just the perfect 4x4......but, are we doing the right thing?

It's only going to be used occasionally for long trips up country, not so much around here (we have something much more suited for that).

Do we bite the bullet and let the head or heart rule, must admit I am more a heart bloke who's head afterwards always says "silly b*****d"

It was such an easy decision last week Sad

Post #194487713th May 2018 5:38 pm
Barney67

Haha I’m in the Same position, I’ve looked at every single alternative from Skoda kodiaq to XC90 and even e class estates - but I always seem to return to looking at d4’s ,I think it’s just an itch that has to be scratched , but one that hopefully doesn’t prove too costly Shocked

Post #194488113th May 2018 5:45 pm
Grandadrob

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

I feel your pain Chaps. I have had my 59 plate D3 for ten weeks now. Before that I had a Volvo 960 estate, which I owned and loved for 16 years. It never put a foot wrong, but I am getting older, and just wanted another experience. I have always had Series Landys, but never a modern one.
So with great trepidation, having read everything on this great forum, I went looking.
Do I go for old, low milers, new, high milers, then what about that long list of possible faults.
I did look at a fair few, and got a feel for what is good or not. I am really pleased with what I ended up with.....59 plate, service history, 85k miles, 3 months warranty.
Well that 3 months warranty is already coming into play. Suspension warning came on about three times intermittantly. Took it to my local Indy dealer, he says it needs a new compressor, so warranty here we come. I still have faith in it, and am still pleased that I bought it. It is an amazing vehicle and so comfortable for us slightly older folk............... Rolling with laughter
 1955 SWB Series 1 86 inch
1960 SWB Series 2 88 inch
2009 Discovery 3 HSE Bournville Pearl 

Post #194490713th May 2018 6:43 pm
Barney67

Glad your Warranty is working for you rob 👍 , I could do with the comfiness has well now with old back beginning to creak Rolling Eyes Laughing
It is proving to be a hard toil though to source the “right one “

Post #194490913th May 2018 6:52 pm
Grandadrob

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Don't forget to look on this forum "for sale" section, some good ones often pop up here.
I always thought, and it has come to pass, that buying from a dealer with some kind of warranty is the best way. I have never thought like that before, always trusting my instinct and knowledge, but with such a complicated vehicle, way out of my comfort zone. I know it will cost a little more, but I have been proved right by my own example. Good luck.
 1955 SWB Series 1 86 inch
1960 SWB Series 2 88 inch
2009 Discovery 3 HSE Bournville Pearl 

Post #194491113th May 2018 6:57 pm
PROFSR G

Grandadrob wrote:
I feel your pain Chaps. I have had my 59 plate D3 for ten weeks now. Before that I had a Volvo 960 estate, which I owned and loved for 16 years. It never put a foot wrong, but I am getting older, and just wanted another experience. I have always had Series Landys, but never a modern one.
So with great trepidation, having read everything on this great forum, I went looking.
Do I go for old, low milers, new, high milers, then what about that long list of possible faults.
I did look at a fair few, and got a feel for what is good or not. I am really pleased with what I ended up with.....59 plate, service history, 85k miles, 3 months warranty.
Well that 3 months warranty is already coming into play. Suspension warning came on about three times intermittantly. Took it to my local Indy dealer, he says it needs a new compressor, so warranty here we come. I still have faith in it, and am still pleased that I bought it. It is an amazing vehicle and so comfortable for us slightly older folk............... Rolling with laughter

The compressors are generally well built and with the correct maintenance should last a long time. A lot of faults can be as simple as the silicone beads and filters in the dryer needing changing. Especially if its an intermittent fault (changes in humidity) cheap fix too! Every garage is going to want to sell you a new compressor!!

Post #194491313th May 2018 7:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >