DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

sorry, another FBH question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
davecars

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
sorry, another FBH question

Hi All

Having searched and read all I think are appropriate threads I am still at a loss, I have removed the FBH, followed Robbies cleaning process, reinstalled, tried with and without air con, I am getting smoke on start up then nothing, checked codes and the code below shows every time, I did the test procedure, primmed fuel (all OK) but on starting the engine, smoke then nothing, the good news is, before cleaning it just locked out, really would appreciate help, at a total loss, thanks.

Discovery 3 SE gone but not forgotten.
Discovery 4 HSE (Mrs S)
Discovery 3 GS project, great, but manual, Gone.
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #219709229th Dec 2020 2:54 pm
azurar01

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Have you checked out the link below ?

https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater
 D4 SDV6 HSE 11MY - Gone
D3 TDV6 HSE 08MY - Gone 

Post #219712329th Dec 2020 4:25 pm
Kviasen

Norway 

Its probably the diesel pump that has problem this works on frquency sgnals Hz from fbh module.
If it smokes at least glow plug works and probably also the fan but if the pump can not give enough fuel it will blow out the flame.
Component fault is the clue here providing you get it correct back together after cleaning.

Post #219716029th Dec 2020 5:43 pm
davecars

Hi azurar01

Yes I re-read it twice and re-checked but to no avail.

Hi Kviasen

My thoughts also, as I did try a second hand FBH, when fitted I had the same result as my original unit, (original unit was refitted), next question is how to prove and rectify the problem if it is the diesel pump, bearing in mind my strength is mechanical but only ok when it comes to electrical systems,

Many thanks.

PS, must add this is for my D3 not my wife's D4 if that makes a difference.
Discovery 4 HSE (Mrs S)
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #219724429th Dec 2020 8:39 pm
Kviasen

Norway 

I am sure there is nothing that can be calibrated, the diesel pump metering is fixed aginst the blower fan speed.
When heater is started the fan makes a purge to remove gas or flamables before the fan reduces speed, turns on glow plug and fuel pump and makes a start attempt.
If the temp is not raising in the chamber the electronics is sensing a faulty start attempt and make another one and another one until it locks up and throw a fault code.
If the elektronics sensing temp raise the heater will balance air and fuel mixture after a preset curve until full power.
My guess is diesel starvation since a air starvation mostly would lead to a lot of black smoke or greyish thick unburnt diesel smoke.
The pump sits under the car in front of diesel tank and is quite easy to replace but remember to get exactly the same pump as put there originaly or you will have problem because the electronic depends on that when a certain Hz is sendt to pump the exact measured amont of diesel is supplied.
Someone before you can have had the pump replaced with inncorect pump so check for that.
To try to test the pump you would have to generate a Hz sinal and from webasto technical departement get a curve of ml pr minute of diesel at that frecuency and exactly measure it in a measuring cup, this would be complicated to achive with normal equipment in the garasje.

Post #219725829th Dec 2020 9:22 pm
davecars

Thank you for the quick reply

Well explained, and easily understood, it certainly seems to point to the diesel pump, I'll hunt around and see if I can get a proper part number for the pump, got to give it a go as at the moment it isn't working, again thank you Kviasen.
Discovery 4 HSE (Mrs S)
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #219726129th Dec 2020 9:38 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Could be blocked inlet to the dosing pump, can be blown out with an air line. Can't be done at the FBH end through the pump, remove the inlet hose from the tank and blow back in to the tank.

Definitely been covered here before Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #219726429th Dec 2020 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kviasen

Norway 

Glad to be at help Davecar 😎

Post #219726629th Dec 2020 9:59 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: sorry, another FBH question

davecars wrote:

I did the test procedure, primmed fuel

Did you do the complete running test with your IID?
You can let it run for lets say 10 minutes (NEVER do shorter runs!) with IID.... if it does then the dosingpump is ok...

I read here different diagnosis, but if it runs in test mode ok, the FBH and its components are ok....

Seen it too much, people starting to exchange components, etc...

Dosingpumps, work or don’t work... seldom or never seen one in 15 years who did work partially....
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219728730th Dec 2020 12:02 am
Kviasen

Norway 

Motolab is probably right, parts are many times exhanged just for testing but the problem is often elsewhere and thats why i suggest that there could have been a problem in the past where the owner had some issues and replaced the pump but with a faulty or maybe incompatible pump.
So Davecar should indeed check the pump against original numbers to his specific fbh make and model but not neccesarely replace it.
A cheap knock of could easily be the problem since there are no tolorances i belive from Webastos/ Land Rovers own setup.

Post #219735430th Dec 2020 9:49 am
davecars

Hi motolab

When I reinstalled the FBH after cleaning I did the IID test, fuel primed OK the IID said start engine, started engine and FBH failed with E7 fault, reset with IID, retried and loads of white smoke the FBH stopped, ever since then when starting the car FBH tries for 30 seconds and cuts out with the code posted above.
Discovery 4 HSE (Mrs S)
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #219737930th Dec 2020 11:02 am
Motolab

you can test it with IID without the engine... just the FBH....

white smoke in a FBH diesel is unburnt diesel.... so there IS diesel...... if you can prime it, the dosingpump works... if you can hear it clicking it works...

or it is tooo WET inside (diesel) (too much prime) OR glowingplug/measuring plug faulty

it is cold, dieesl does not evaporate now..

fuelprime is only needed with a new fule line or new pump... (= empty fuel line) never with only a disconnected Heater unit...

i bet on: cleaning it again.. remove exessive fuel (deposits)

and do a test, full battery 12,6 V or more with battery loader attached still to your battery, with IID and FBH only without motor running... never shorter runs than 10 minutes, or the glowplug will get dirty / glazed and stopf functioning very soon...

why do i think i know this all? i had a business in FBH for 15 years... Webasto, eberspacher... air and water heaters incl TT-V and EVO
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219742730th Dec 2020 3:16 pm
davecars

Thanks motolab

Please excuse my ignorance but how do you run the FBH without the engine running (in my defence I have only recently acquired a IID and still learning), I have ordered new seals and gasket ( incase I have damaged others when I rebuilt FBH ), is it best to connect to another vehicle that is running to guarantee the battery battery voltage, or would a battery charger suffice.

When I cleaned the FBH last I did not disturb the ceramic discs I only cleaned ( very throughly ) the combustion chamber, should that part have been disassembled ? again thanks to all who helped, I will follow up when I have cleaned and rebuilt FBH again.
Discovery 4 HSE (Mrs S)
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #219751230th Dec 2020 6:37 pm
davecars

Hi all

I now have a working FBH, removed the unit disassembled, on inspection found seals and gasket ok but fuel resadue inside the chamber, when I originally cleaned the chamber (first time around) I ,used a paraffin cleaner bath, (I wondered if this could have been detrimental), anyway cleaned with carburettor cleaner, left overnight, rebuilt, re-fitted and with a little persuasive help, it started and has continued to work for the last three mornings when well below zero degrees, keeping fingers crossed.
Discovery 4 HSE (Mrs S)
Discovery 4 XS 

Post #22001148th Jan 2021 2:21 pm
Motolab

I made a Good bet Wink Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Post #22002418th Jan 2021 6:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >