Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Sorry, but it is not a D4, more like a D3.5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Sorry, but it is not a D4, more like a D3.5

Was at my local stealers today getting my 15k service and a couple of minor warranty bits done. They didn't have any D4s in the showroom but the salesman took me outside to look at a demo (HSE) that they were about to put on the road. Sitting in a line of D3s I failed to spot it. It wasn't until he opened it and the lights flashed that I took notice of the grill. Inside the dash and console are very different but things such as the upper and lower glovebox haven't changed. Obviously the engine is new and the suspension has been tweaked but I was unable to try it out.

I've been ambivalent around the debate on whether there has been enough of a change from the D3 to justify calling it a D4 but having seen one in the flesh I'm firmly on the "facelifted D3" side of the argument. The RRS has had a similar treatment but is still being called the RRS and not RRS2 so why did LR feel the need to move the D3 to D4?

Post #5149533rd Sep 2009 4:49 pm
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yep have to agree, when the first Freelander was given a facelift it was called just that. And the freelander had a complete new dash and bigger changes to the front end, the whole shape of the lights were completely changed.

The D4 is nice but as far as the look of the interior goes from behind the front seats very little has changed apart from the door handles and a couple of minor bits.

I want to stay with a manual car so I would have to have the GS which has no changes to the engine or gearbox.
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #5149593rd Sep 2009 4:57 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I read that it has had over 300 parts change, which I thought was quite a lot until I also read that there are over 3000 parts in a range rover seat! Shocked Not sure how true all of that is, but a D4 is certainly not a big change from a D3. Personally I don't mind if they call it a D3 or D4 it's just marketing bo Censored ks and I am not going to stress about it. Still I've got one for a weekend test drive soon and a half day LRE in one so that should be good.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5149673rd Sep 2009 5:24 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

wasn't it something to do with using the D3 label on the new 7 seater Freelander ?? (read it somewhere)
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #5149753rd Sep 2009 5:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110CSW

United Kingdom 

I think everyone would agree with you. Its a mid-life facelift and no more. Don't care what they call it. In a couple of years I will upgrade but have to finish changing gears for myself first.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #5150283rd Sep 2009 6:58 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As you might imagine we are looking as to what changes there are in the new line up so as to be prepared.

Therefore we already have quite a good grasp of the underlying electronic changes the D4, 2010 FFRR and RRS have and they have all changed quite significantly in some respects.

So i will throw in my tuppence worth for what its worth.

While we all know that ownership of LR has changed, it seems these changes are 100% Ford.

Ford are owners of multi brands and a lot of their brands have always shared technology, which has been grouped by platforms. Many will know that the D3 and RRS share the T5 platform. This is primarily a Volvo one and most if not all the technology employed in the D3 was and is Volvo based.

Since about 2006 however Ford have been re grouping things into a platform known as the EUCD platrorm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EUCD_platform

And the new LR models or 2010 variants of existing ones are simply the latest additions to this platform. In fact the FFRR is the 25th addition to the group, the first was the defender.

Many of you will be familiar with our work in respect of decoding and editing the CCF data block held by the D3 / RR sport, which for those who are not is simply a large block of data stored in an ECU of the vehicle that describes and controls every configurable aspect of the vehicle. We note that exact the same block of data is present in the later line up as the earlier one, however there is also now a second even bigger block called the EUCD CCF.

This EUCD data block is the only one present in the new Defender and freelander 2 and we have also encountered it in all the other members of the EUCD platform that we have managed to borrow,

We have naturally already decoded this new EUCD block and made an editor, however this is primarily due to its usage in the Defender an Freelander 2 rather than its usage in the new LR line up.

heres a link to an early example for anyone who might be interested to see whats possible etc.
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/photos/CCF_EUCD_Disco4.htm

Post #5150343rd Sep 2009 7:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kerb climber

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Heartbeat sensor Shocked ?? Is that to stop zombies nicking your ride? Don't know about intelligent driver system either, that could lose me my licence.

Post #5150843rd Sep 2009 9:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Alcohol Interlock Shocked
Night Vision Shocked

Post #5151963rd Sep 2009 11:24 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

D3 D4 D5 FR6 RR8 ad inf. its all marketing Censored , you pay your money when you can and take your chances with the manufacturing gods and hope to hell you get lucky Bow down

Post #5152033rd Sep 2009 11:56 pm
roystonh

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

HI Gazza

You've got to drive it to tell the difference and its immense!

Post #5152043rd Sep 2009 11:58 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Don't get me wrong Smile I wish I could afford one, Crying or Very sad but D308 to D409 ............is it really driving 20K more impressively Question If anything sorts it out it will be this forum. Thumbs Up

Post #5152134th Sep 2009 12:14 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Alcohol Interlock is for the states. Some insurers give you extra discount if you fit an Alcohol sensor
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5152194th Sep 2009 1:11 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Has an option for 'Battery Rear' wonder if that's their plan to fit the extra battery that they've kicked out of the Aux box?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5152214th Sep 2009 1:14 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

well i promise i did not make any of it up and all i can say is that they seem to be covering all the possibilities.
perhaps the fact that they also own Aston Martin might account for some of it with the 007 link Rolling with laughter

Post #5153884th Sep 2009 12:06 pm
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It is definitely a mid life face lift, and should be a D3 Series 2, the problem for the D4, is that it is now a new model and can't ride off the success (i.e. awards, and loyal following) of the D3 like a D3 Series 2 could.

The D4 is now a new model and has a "clean slate" and needs to sell its self to me and start to wins some awards/accolades. I am due to replace my D3 in Jan, I will most likely put an aftermarket chip in, and get an extended factory warranty and keep the D3 for a few more years.
 Trust me, what could go wrong? 

Last edited by razzle on 7th Sep 2009 6:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5154204th Sep 2009 1:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >