Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Sound system on the blink
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Sound system on the blink

Just when I thought everything was running well my sound system has decided to start playing up. Whilst out the other day the radio kept briefly cutting out and after about 10 mins packed up all together along with voice activation. After stopping and restarting everything was fine for a few moments and then again packed up. Radio and sat nav screen are still on but no sound.
I have done a quick search and the only thing I can see to do is a re set, which I will do but can anyone advise on what could be wrong. Probably has nothing to do with it but I did fit new d4 rear lights last week with resistors pre installed.
Any help will be gratefully received.

Post #91934410th Apr 2012 7:02 pm
johnnychainsaw

Just thought I would do an update on this problem i'm having. Car in dealers this morning,they did an update on sound system but made no difference. sound still cuts out after a few moments of use. Dealer told me its more than likely to be amplifier problem and quoted me a staggering £621 for new one. After picking myself off the floor decided to check out a few breakers and found secondhand one for £180 which arrives on monday. Fingers crossed this will cure the problem.
Any advise or tips from anyone who has changed amp would be good as I will be attempting this myself.

Post #93025610th May 2012 3:58 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's possibly just the MOST cable being interupted. Have you fitted a D4 blutooth unit?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #93025710th May 2012 4:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
johnnychainsaw

No not changed anything, I did try a different amp in it today but still the same problem. It seems to me that it could be overheating in the head unit is this a possibility?
Just checked where tmc is located and it looks like its not far from rear lights, which I upgraded just before this problem started. Will investigate tomorrow Neutral

Post #93229116th May 2012 7:53 pm
geoff.

England 

john

had a word with someone and we are both of the same conclusion we think it might be the head unit i,m looking for a head unit at the moment or maybe a donor car that we could swap over and try will give you a call in a couple of days.

ps going to ask a good mate of mine tonight if i could use his to test on yours it will mean stripping both cars but hey ho if it finds the problem then going to be worth it Thumbs Up

Post #93283418th May 2012 5:13 am
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Did you do the hard reset ? I could not see if it was mentioned again in the thread.

Reason why I asked I had a D3 with a blacked out radio and sat Nav screen here the other day, it had been to the stealers and they couldnt find a problem.

We started off checking fuses, and then did a hard reset ( connect the battery lead trick (while not connected to the battery* * disclaimer ) ).

And it started working again.

I also know of a vehicle here in Norway which has a similar problem to yours, which to my knowledge hasnt been cured yet, but I can check and see if there is any new updates.

It is possible to buy "half" a radio from Landrover if its the highline module, and yours is the culprit.

Good luck

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Last edited by cold_n_wet on 18th May 2012 9:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #93284218th May 2012 6:13 am
johnnychainsaw

Cheers Geoff appreciate your help, that sounds like a good plan. On the look out for a replacement head unit (6CD 465) no luck as yet, will post it up on for sale & wanted as well. Thumbs Up

Thanks for tip Glen I have tried hard reset a couple of times praying it would sort it out, but no such luck for me. I might even try it again tomorrow third time lucky you never know Thumbs Up

Post #93314818th May 2012 6:17 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What did you upgrade on the TMC software or the unit itself, if the unit then you might have a most problem, I have a loop test cable for the most I just connect this up and it bypasses the ecu and continues to next ecu so a good way to test the most system out.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #93322218th May 2012 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
johnnychainsaw

Hi Flack
Not sure what dealer did exactly all they said they did was follow L/R procedure to fix "no sound fault". They weren't very helpful really but at least they didn't charge me for it cos their computer system went down Laughing
I have had a chat with Geoff who has also discussed the fault with Wiggs who had seen a similar problem that related to head unit. Also I may not have mentioned on this post but my sat nav screen occasionally freezes on L/R screen which I have been told relates to an electrical fault not MOST. The sound is fine when starting car from cold for about 15mins and then just goes off. If I let car go to sleep and then restart sound does come back for a couple of mins, longer depending how long I leave the car, but 15 mins is normally max. I did have a cold early morning drive to taunton on tuesday and had sound all the way there, couldn't believe it, when I returned at lunchtime it was back to 15 mins. This makes me think its an overheating issue.
Plan is to try a donor head unit. if this fails to cure problem then a MOST test might be worth doing.
Thanks for your advise, might be in touch. Watch this space as I will keep this post going until its sorted, so I can help others like so many have helped me Thumbs Up

Post #93324018th May 2012 8:58 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well your in capable hands with Stan & Ollie...

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #93325518th May 2012 9:30 pm
geoff.

England 

stan & ollie Question

johnny

i have the use of another D3 to swap over his head unit to see if thats the problem so we need to make arrangements to meet up it would need to be on a sunday mate so will be in touch over the next few days Thumbs Up

Geoff

Post #93327518th May 2012 10:56 pm
johnnychainsaw

Cheer Geoff Sunday's are good with me. Thumbs Up

Post #93328318th May 2012 11:41 pm
johnnychainsaw

A quick update on fault with sound system. As its been hot all week have had air con on all the time and would you believe it no problems with sound cutting out. Turned air con off and within minutes lost sound. I guess this means air con is stopping system from heating up. Still no luck on second hand head unit Sad

Post #93550126th May 2012 10:54 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

johnnychainsaw

Sorry i had not noticed this thread until now and offered my advice and help.

First off i would mention that i probably have much more knowledge and experience with the Land Rover infotainment and MOST bus systems than almost anyone, having retrofitted entire MOST bus based systems in my both Disco 3 and my 2003 Range Rover.

The Disco 3
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic37092.html

The Range Rover
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic78155.html

An overview of the infotainment system. Be sure to watch the video.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic77443.html

I have also debugged and fixed many infotainment problems on more vehicles than i can recall, including a 2 minute fix for no sound on an RRS that the dealer had spent 10k trying to fix over 4 months.

In your case, i really do not believe your Head Unit to be overheating, if it were, you would see a message on it's display.
Also the rear light conversion you have done will not affect this system in any way.

Quote:
the radio kept briefly cutting out

I am guessing that you were experiencing a loss of sound for several seconds at a time and would likely be experiencing the same if you were listening to a CD instead of the radio, but it would help if you could confirm this Thumbs Up

To correctly find and identify the problem, you need to understand a bit about the system. Which of course is where most dealers come unstuck.

The MOST bus the system uses is a fibre optic loop system. Light is generated by the head unit and is then transmitted with Orange fibre optic cabling to the next ECU in the bus, which then re creates and re transmits it to the next ECU and so on, until it finally arrives back at the head unit. If any connection is bad or any ECU in the loop looses power, even for a split second the loop is broken, and the several second delay is usually the time it takes for an ECU to reboot and come back on line, and so carry on re creating the Light to pass on to the next ECU and so re making the loop.

I have encountered problems in the past that have been down to a faulty phone module (water ingress) and an bad ground on a TMC module.

So what you really need to do is logically figure out which ECU in your MOST loop is causing the problem.
Fortunately this is not that difficult, as the light is visible and it is really just a case of following its path from ECU to ECU looking for the break.

For example, you suspect your amp and want to test it, obviously when the system is not working, you should unplug it's MOST connection and look to see if there is a Red light being provided to it on the connector side. If you have light there then everything upstream of that is fine. Offer the connector back up to the amps socket, but do not fully re insert it. As long as the Amp can see the light, even although the plug is not fully inserted, You should see the amp start to produce light.

If it does not then you need to start checking power supplies to it etc.

As flack states, you can also by pass ECU's if you have a Fibre optic loop, which helps fault find. LR do have one availiable called a prism, but few dealers have even heard of this.

You might also want to check out your rear left drivers seat mounting. Early D3's infotainment wires and Most bus cabling had a habit of getting trapped and rubbed through here which was fixed in later years with modifications to the trunking and cable routing etc.

I hope this helps

Post #93557226th May 2012 5:39 pm
fade2grey

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Does sound a bit like a capacitor overheating/about to go
 56 HSE  
Post #93558126th May 2012 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >