Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

speedo + transmission fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco4x4au

Australia 
speedo + transmission fault

This is a little long-winded, so please bear with me ................

Up to the doors in mud, towing a trailer, and I got a new error Crying or Very sad

"transmission fault: traction reduced"

shortly followed by

"hdc fault", "special programs off", "suspension fault - suspension lowered" and a host of flashing lights. Big Cry

I also noticed that the speedo was no longer working, but I don't know at which point this occurred. I then got a "park brake fault" followed by a long message about removing the key and applying the parke brake to hold the vehicle. By this stage I had the amber P light on, the red P light flashing, the adaptive headlamp light flashing, the DSC warning light on, the stability icon on, the ABS light on .... well, you get the picture.

Thing is, other than the suspension lowering and the speedo not working, there doesn't seem to be anything really wrong?? The gearbox works fine in all modes and the park-brake works (no squealing!). It was 230km back to Perth, and other than a bumpy ride home (at access level with a trailer on the back!) it was pretty uneventful.

One other thing. When it first happened, we got out of the bog-hole, camped for the night and in the morning the car had reset itself!! Suspension back up, special programs available, all good Thumbs Up

For about 5 mins Big Cry

Then it all happened again. It never reset again, despite disconnecting the batteries, etc etc.

So I'm wondering if the speedo is the original culprit, and the rest are cascading errors - or could something really be wrong with the transmission that I wouldn't notice driving?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #34219110th Sep 2008 11:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cascade fault, possibly the gearbox output speed sensor wiring has been damaged (it's at the rear of the gearbox) probably not a wheel speed sensor as the speedo does not use the composite speed signal from there

Post #34226810th Sep 2008 4:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco4x4au

Australia 

Thanks TFC, I'll check it tonight.

Cheers,

Gordon
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #34249511th Sep 2008 12:47 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

10forcash wrote:
Cascade fault, possibly the gearbox output speed sensor wiring has been damaged (it's at the rear of the gearbox) probably not a wheel speed sensor as the speedo does not use the composite speed signal from there

Sorry TFC, are you referring to the group of cables that enter the gearbox from the rear driver's side, or the cables into the back of the transfer case?

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #34255511th Sep 2008 10:20 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yer, sorry - the speed sensor at the rear of the transfer box, not the gearbox Embarassed

Post #34257511th Sep 2008 11:14 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Latest update - the drama continues ...........
Sad

Dealer checked plugs, looms, replaced a rear-wheel speed sensor (which showed a fault) and the EPB module (which was apparently being flagged by other modules as faulting, and cost an arm and a leg!) . Cleared all the DTC's and all was fine. They test-drove up the road 100m and got a new error "transmission overheating", followed by the cascade of errors as above. Sad

Except that the speedo now works, so obviously replacing the speed sensor did some good .....

Obviously it wasn't actually overheating, and the transmission works fine. Anyone experienced this warning message before?

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #36363023rd Oct 2008 6:40 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Re: speedo + transmission fault

disco4x4au wrote:

"hdc fault", "special programs off", "suspension fault - suspension lowered" and a host of flashing lights. Big Cry

had the amber P light on, the red P light flashing, the DSC warning light on, the stability icon on, the ABS light on .... well, you get the picture.

In Sept 07 had similiar happenings whilst towing in Flinders Ranges. After about 3 faults/stop/turn off/restart I disconnected the trailer plug flushed out both male and female plugs with WD40. Didn't happen again.

Just back from 16 week, 20000 klm trip to Kimberley and back (16700 towing trailer) and no problem - every time I noticed build up on plugs I gave them a flush with WD40.

Perhaps you could try flushing yours and see what happens?

Total problems on trip: staked tyre in Simpson, EPB cleaned and adjusted in Alice Springs, Broken tailgate cable in Keep River NP (trip to Darwin to break in and replace lock and trim - warranty), EPB cleaned and adjusted in Darwin, Starting motor failed in Terwantin (replaced at Maroochydore - warranty), Instrument cluster failed in Darwin (trip computer showing Trip,Range, Ave Speed in Imperial. Ave fuel in Metric - replaced today under warranty in Newcastle), Front Diff also replaced under warranty today as developed leak
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #36363623rd Oct 2008 7:53 am
LRA TECH

England 2009 LR3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverLR3

IanR wrote:
disco4x4au wrote:

had the amber P light on, the red P light flashing, the DSC warning light on, the stability icon on, the ABS light on .... well, you get the picture.

In Sept 07 had similiar happenings whilst towing in Flinders Ranges. After about 3 faults/stop/turn off/restart I disconnected the trailer plug flushed out both male and female plugs with WD40. Didn't happen again.

Just back from 16 week, 20000 klm trip to Kimberley and back (16700 towing trailer) and no problem - every time I noticed build up on plugs I gave them a flush with WD40.

Perhaps you could try flushing yours and see what happens?

Total problems on trip: staked tyre in Simpson, EPB cleaned and adjusted in Alice Springs, Broken tailgate cable in Keep River NP (trip to Darwin to break in and replace lock and trim - warranty), EPB cleaned and adjusted in Darwin, Starting motor failed in Terwantin (replaced at Maroochydore - warranty), Instrument cluster failed in Darwin (trip computer showing Trip,Range, Ave Speed in Imperial. Ave fuel in Metric - replaced today under warranty in Newcastle), Front Diff also replaced under warranty today as developed leak

Can you have a look at the rear stop/tail light bulbs and make sure the two elements inside the bulb are NOT touching each other...

Post #36546227th Oct 2008 4:15 pm
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

LRA TECH wrote:

Can you have a look at the rear stop/tail light bulbs and make sure the two elements inside the bulb are NOT touching each other...

Have changed at least one brake light since Sept 07 - I know to keep an eye on blown ones and replace ASAP.

Will check current globes for 'touching elements' in the morning and report back, even though the only system fault reporting we have had since then appears to be related to low battery which was probably caused by the starter motor shorting out.

Interesting run of failures whilst on trip! Still think the D3 is a great off-road vehicle and hope that all of the major issues have been rectified (especially as warranty runs out in mid December and we intend to do many more outback trips in it)
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #36587828th Oct 2008 11:56 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Just thought I'd update the ending to this tale - might be of some use to those with the rear eLocker.

To recap - original problem was no speedo, no HDC, ABS fault, transmission fault, suspension lowered and park-brake fault. These were rectified by replacing the rear passenger wheel-speed sensor. The EPB module was also replaced as it showed no output, but I'm not sure if that was due to the sensor failure, or if there really was anything wrong with it.

When taken for a test drive, a "transmission overheating" error came up after only 100m or so, followed by a cascade of others. Nothing apparently wrong with the transmission, all the wiring/plugs checked out ok. Eventually one of the mechanics was parking it out the back and noticed that it seemed to be 'grabbing' on full lock. It was found that the rear DRIVER wheel-speed sensor was faulting intermittently, causing the rear locker to activate inappropriately, which in turn triggered the 'transmission overheating' warning.

All fixed now and couldn't be happier returning that death-trap of a loan-car (Ssang-Song Kyron 4WD) and getting back into the D3 Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #3701076th Nov 2008 11:44 pm
JP

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I just had the exact same problem with my 06 V8, same symptoms as above.

"hdc fault", "special programs off", "suspension fault - suspension lowered" and a host of flashing lights.

"I also noticed that the speedo was no longer working, but I don't know at which point this occurred. I then got a "park brake fault" followed by a long message about removing the key and applying the parke brake to hold the vehicle. By this stage I had the amber P light on, the red P light flashing, the adaptive headlamp light flashing, the DSC warning light on, the stability icon on, the ABS light on .... "

Thanks to this thread and others it was quite quickly worked out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor on the front right hand wheel. There were 46 faults showing when it plugged into the computer, all of which were cleared when the sensor was replaced!
Thanks for the info above, it saved a lot of time and money!

Post #6797834th Aug 2010 10:58 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Exactly what has happened to ours again today, they changed one sensor and did the wiring overlay a while ago but same faults again today.

Post #68639326th Aug 2010 6:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >