Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Speedometer way out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yeah I noticed this too with many different brands of vehicles, all read higher than actual.
I always use my GPS to set the cruise control, depending on which state you are driving on how much over you can get away with. Wink
I am running oversize Cooper LTZ's and the speedo is just about spot on now!
Photos in Gallery.
755mm standard - 799mm Coopers.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #61045026th Feb 2010 3:20 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

On a new-ish highway near here I always take a new vehicle and test the speed at 100km over odometer calibration signs exactly 5km apart. Using different GPS's, they have all been very close to accurate, while most vehicles are 5%-10% slow. This is consistent with what this thread has said, but I'll trust the fixed odometer calibration signs more than anything else. It seems there's a consensus that the D3s and D4s read more or less 5-7% low.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #61045626th Feb 2010 5:55 am
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

No luck so far. Landrover service says that they have no idea on recalibrating and that to the best of their knowledge it can bot be done.
The annoying thing is that the Speedometer actually seems to be very consistent accross the range - so just setting it properly would be enough. HELLLOOO LANDROVER: A software update could make this possible may be???
Smile
sgk
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #61047526th Feb 2010 8:08 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Why would they want to Confused No other manufacturer does.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #61048326th Feb 2010 8:17 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I have been told that the D3 sat-nav system has a calibrate function that's thought to use its GPS speed to correct speedo inaccuracies. The owner of the D3 had used the function but at the time did not know if it actualy changed anything.

Has anyone else encountered this facility and know just what is achieved, if anything?

Post #61049026th Feb 2010 8:27 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The reason they won't bother is that they cannot afford to have the speedo readout dropping below the true speed.

Varying factors will affect the true speed compared to readout on the dial ...that is why for example in the UK a police traffic vehicle has to have its speed equipment certified as calibrated every time the vehicle goes out...because it will change over short period of time. In the olden days they used to have a seperate calibrated unit in the centre of the dash for checking speeders and would ignore the OEM unit.

I don't think you will get what you are asking for from LR ...or any other manufacturer TBH..but there are plenty 'racetech' type companies that will supply you with an aftermarket unit I'm sure Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #61049526th Feb 2010 8:41 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

Not for the LR D3/4 etc.
In my MG ZT with the BMW electronics, if you enter the service menu on the instrument cluster then you get an offset for correcting the speedo and the procedure is documented in the service manual for the car (RAVE2)
There is also a separate "offset" for the satnav to correct for the slight diffrences in the speed sensors on the wheels (for the ABS)

Post #61053426th Feb 2010 9:50 am
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds interesting Alicatt. Did it say how accurate the system was and did they guarantee the accuracy?? What if you messed up the recalibration did it always leave you on the safe side??
 Regards, Trev.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In the wilds of North Lincs or the middle of the North Sea. 

Post #61054326th Feb 2010 10:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hensoni

United Kingdom 

In terms of GPS speed accuracy, GPS can be incredibly accurate at measuring velocities in all planes. However, car sat navs use a specific data interface called NMEA 0183. The interface is split into data sentences (strings of data words) with each data word containing the native GPS info.

The use of NMEA interface leads to several features - one, the "M" stands for "marine" so most users of the standard only transmit the horizontal component of the GPS velocity signals (Vx) as ships don't go uphill. If you drive up and down hills, then the velocity will be inaccurate due to the missing vertical component (Vz).

Secondly, the NMEA interface only updates once per second. Thus, your "raw" data from the GPS receiver is being strangled by the data interface. Cars and all other vessels / vehicles are constantly changing their velocities - GPS can track those changes, so can the speed sensor on the gearbox. The NMEA interface cannot and nor can the driver. The speedo needle has to be damped to take out these constant changes otherwise the needle would moving all over the place. If a needle connected to a varying signal source is undamped, then it will always alternate between over and and under-reading. It will never read accurately! Smiths made instruments like this for many years.

So, by all means use the GPS data on the open road where gradients are less dramatic and the rate of change of speed is lower, but don't rely on it in stop / start traffic or when negotiating the bends and twists of a country road. Most importantly, never use GPS as a defence against a speeding offence - you'll lose.

Having said all of the above, it's a shame that the D4 speedo isn't accurate. My D3 speedo is refreshingly accurate - compared against 2 GPS receivers (with different chipsets and software) and monitored on a flat road at a (nearly) constant speed.

Post #61070026th Feb 2010 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >