Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Split Charge Feed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MARKW

United Kingdom 
Split Charge Feed

As you all know I'm fitting a second batt to my D3 for my impending trip. I have mailed TFC for a loom for the spotlights, now my concern is how to trigger the charge relay. Is it possible to tap onto the rear of the alt to start the relay or is there somewhere else more practicle to do it. I already have the relay, just need a trigger wire for it.

Any ideas anyone. I have a competent sparky to do the work but he hasn't worked on D3 before and is a bit hesitant to blindly dive in and start tapping into the wrong place
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #44158620th Mar 2009 2:04 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You mean something like this

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic29519.h...p;start=15

This was the resultant wiring diagram

Click image to enlarge
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #44159120th Mar 2009 2:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Ah oh hold on, yoiu're on about the split charge relay.......

I think the general way is to link to the original battery. the alt is capable of delivering charge to both. Not sure how you delay connecting the two with just a simple relay setup.

I have the Traxide SC-80 combo unit which works very well and is easy for people to install Thumbs Up

TFC's setup would work well too, just different approaches.......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #44159420th Mar 2009 2:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Bodsy

Yes it's how to wire the charge relay in that I'm after. I have it mounted and understand that I have to connect the "+" terminals from both batts together, run an earth either to chassis or back to main batt. But I need a trigger wire which is ign switched.
So I'm looking for a source. Is there a spare fuse slot that will be ign based that I could tap into. I have an XS so don't have all the toys some of of you lot do Big Cry . So I'm assumong there should be some spare fuse slots. But where?

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #44159920th Mar 2009 2:27 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Could you wire it to the internal cigarette lighter or similar from the fusebox? That's only on at ign on. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #44160120th Mar 2009 2:29 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Top idea. Will speak to my tame sparky Thumbs Up

Post #44160420th Mar 2009 2:33 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

By all means use the cig lighter power to switch a relay for a simple ing. on system, but don't charge the battery direct from the socket. The battery if flat will draw well in excess of the 15a or so available from the socket. The cable linking the batteries via the relay should be capable of 50a min, ideally more. 16mm cable would be fine! Idealy a voltage sensitive relay can be used and that will then detect when the alternator is running and link the batteries. You can get these from caravan shops for less than £20.
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #44164220th Mar 2009 3:46 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

You can get voltage sensing relays as well, so they only link the second battery when the main one is charged, lots threads on here about different ways to do it.

I would not recommend connecting to the alternator, it can cause problems with the other electrics and you need to be sure the terminals do what you think, few horror stories around of people getting it wrong.

Ignition switched is ok, but then you link the batteries as soon as ignition is on, and not after glow plugs have warmed and you start the car. Might not be an issue, depends on if you plan to run the second battery flat, and what cabling/fuses you are placing between the two batteries.

Post #44164320th Mar 2009 3:47 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Censored . Thought I had it all sorted then. I even found an ign live in the fuse box. Where a rely should be there is a ign live term.
So the best way is voltage sensitive relay. All the 1's I've looked at were horrendous money 60 quid plus. If they can be had from a caravan shop for about 20 then that's the best way to go. Right I need to find me a caravan shop now. I have big cables to go between the batts so that's no problem.

Post #44172720th Mar 2009 6:52 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

After a bit of research I can get a 30amp VSR for about 30 quid. Is the 30amp big enough? I only intend to run a Waeco 50l, PC, CB, LF170's. From the aux batt and not all at the same time.

Or can I use the 30amp relay as the trigger to the big 180 amp dumb relay? Or am I making things complicated? Shocked

Post #44214821st Mar 2009 9:47 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Using a "control" relay as you suggest can be an easy/cheap option if you have the bits, or they work out cheaper than a "fully rated" one. Digging around my garage I found a very shiny winch contactor that I bought years ago, just before my 110 was stolen, so I was thinking along the same lines, it is rated to carry and break 400A, and is 24hr rated, I also found a couple of voltage sensing control relays which should allow me to do some clever things, like only charge the secondary battery when the system voltage has reached a certain level,and do a bit of cross feeding (provided they are the correct voltages, which I think they are as I recall buying them at the same time (so the invoice says....)
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #44245122nd Mar 2009 9:58 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Rob

Thanks for those reassuring words Thumbs Up Bow down . But to see what the deal is I have emailed traxide to get the cost of their relay. Looking at their prices it's going to be 50quid before import duty blah blah blah. So I think I'll get a small trigger relay to operate the dumb relay. Right off to find a great deal on VSR

Post #44246522nd Mar 2009 10:06 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I'm using a 30Amp relay just for the LF's, (only needs 16.6amp) but would go for something bigger if running that lot.

I have the Traxide unit & split charges + 50amp to the rear + 2 x 12v aux (15amp each). Got the compolete kit from Traxide and it saves faffing aboiut with individual bits and wires etc. This all comes complete. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #44247622nd Mar 2009 10:14 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Power to the rear is sorted. I've run 2 lengths of batt size cable to the rear where I have put a marine spec fuse board in. All the extra power sockets are run individually from there. About a week ago I emailed TF about a loom for the LF's but he hasn't replied yet so I'm now looking at doing it the old fashioned way. I have a few 30amp relays kicking about so will use them for the LF's.

So the 30amp VSR will only act as a trigger for the dumb relay. A bit of a convoluted way of doing it but in my mind it's simple which is what I need.

Post #44248622nd Mar 2009 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >