Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Spot Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Kabous,

The formula is right but it doesn't quite work like that. When it's hot, a light bulb has a pretty constant resistance, so the power is proportional to the voltage. If the voltage is higher than 12V, the current and power drawn by the bulb increase, but as you say, this wouldn't cause the fuse to blow.

However, when the lamp is first switched on, the filament in the bulb is cold, and its resistance is much lower, so a higher current flows. It's only for a very short time until the filament heats up, but I think it's this current that causes the fuse to blow. Increasing the fuse rating makes this less likely to happen.

What you don't want to do is increase the fuse rating beyond the current the wiring (and relays and switches) are designed for. Someone who knows more than me about the D3's electrics should be able to tell you if 20A is safe.

David

Post #49801221st Jul 2009 9:44 am
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks, I sell fruit and vegetables so my knowledge on electrics aren't the best, thanks for the info. What i did is replace the 15 Amp fuse with a 20 A. I monitored the wires running to the spots for overheating and it didn't get hot, the fuse however felt quite hot on the top. BTW there is a relay fitted to the system. I had the spots on for about 10min with the vehicle stationary and nothing went wrong. The 15 Amp fuse lasted only about 2-3min. Next thing I want to do is get a tongue tester to messure the amps drawn by the spots and I will then report back. Thanks for all the inputs and comments, all is much appreciated.
Cobus Bekker
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #49853522nd Jul 2009 3:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >