DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Squealing Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
thesettler

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Squealing Tyres

Hi All
My TDV6 exhibits this very annoying squealing tyre problem around light and tight bends. I had a wheel alignment done at 1000K. The car has now done 10,000KM and is nearly a year old. I live in the Adelaide Hills and the squealing drives me absolutely insane. My dealer says it's because it's a permanent 4x4. I don't think this is normal.

Anyone else with the same problem?

There is a TSB issue associated with uneven tyre wear (LA204-008 Discovery 3/LR3). I am wondering whether the issues are associated.

Thanks for any feedback, which would be greatly appreciated.
Confused
Stefan
TDV6 S White

Post #13774511th Mar 2007 8:59 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Stefan, welcome aboard!

Are your pressures Ok?? Low tyre pressure can cause squealing.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13774911th Mar 2007 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
thesettler

Thanks very much for your reply, Jamo.

I usually keep my tyre pressure between 35 and 40 PSI.

Cheers

Stefan

Post #13797912th Mar 2007 11:03 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 
Re: Squealing Tyres

thesettler wrote:
My dealer says it's because it's a permanent 4x4. I don't think this is normal.

Shocked Your dealer needs a kick in the nuts for saying that.

Is the noise you are experiencing a high pitch squeal as in a metallic sound. Question
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #13798112th Mar 2007 11:13 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine just started to do this mon the way back from an off road trip, they did not do it on the way there. I have goodyear wrangers and they are getting worn. I'll check the pressures tomorrow.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #13798712th Mar 2007 11:41 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Please forgive me for asking this, but are you sure that the noises you are hearing are not stones trapped between the brake disc and the disc cover. Just wondering to eliminate a probable cause.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #13801512th Mar 2007 2:35 pm
caverD3

Mine was definite tyre noise, I know brake squeal, and it was worse on left hand turns. Can't check pressures as SWMBO has taken it to work, tyres did not feel too low or different from each other.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #13811612th Mar 2007 9:22 pm
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Stefan,
I'm also in the Adelaide Hills and the tyre squeal has become worse as the Wranglers wear down - I'm now running 38psi in the front tyres and 42 in the back which has reduced the squeal a lot, also the car seems to track straighter in cross winds now. A dealer wheel alignment at 12000km. has fixed the uneven tyre wear, but the noise seems to me to be related to the Wranglers as the tread gets thinner. I certainly will not be buying another set!
Tony.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #13814912th Mar 2007 10:12 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

AndrewS isn't talking about brake squeal, he's talking about a noise associated with debris on the outer side of the pad / inside of the disc shield.

Bloody loud and generally easily fixed !
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #13816512th Mar 2007 10:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

I thought it might be the tyre wear, I'll try reduced pressure to front. The rears are very worn but the fronts have been replaced at 15,00kms so have more tread but are gettting low now. Awaiting General Grabber AT2s. Hope these hold out till they are available here. Rolling Eyes
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #13817512th Mar 2007 10:34 pm
caverD3

90BHP wrote:
AndrewS isn't talking about brake squeal, he's talking about a noise associated with debris on the outer side of the pad / inside of the disc shield.

Bloody loud and generally easily fixed !

Nope definately tyres.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #13817812th Mar 2007 10:38 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

or even: Definitely Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #13820312th Mar 2007 11:27 pm
thesettler

Thanks Guys,

I tend to agree that it is the tyres in combination with the wheel alignment. I might bring the car to Light Wheel Alignment in the city. They seem to be the best.

I wouldn't buy the Wrangler M+S in a hurry. The Wranglers are made in Germany and the M+S stands for "Matsch und Schnee", which means they can be used in the wet and in snow. People in Germany usually have to change their Tyres twice a year for winter. In Germany M + S tyres in general aren't considered very good.

Any ideas what tyres I should be buying next? Probably try Coopers. Anyone with good experience on Coopers or others? What sizes of tyres can be fitted on the 17inch wheels?

Thanks again for all your responses.

cheers

Stefan

Post #13823713th Mar 2007 1:14 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Stefan,

Here's a recent thread on the Cooper ATR's

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic9813.html

Hope this helps.

By the way I have determined that the Wranglers start squeeling then they get worn. Mine have don probably about 30,000 km and squeel on smooth surfaces when cornering. This was also the case with other cars and other makes of tyres they tend to squeel when a bit worn and harder.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #13824313th Mar 2007 2:25 am
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I have just started getting the same symptoms and came across this thread.

I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero's which have around 26k on them - over the past few weeks I have started to really notice pronounced tyre squeal on tight bends, even at crawling speeds. It is especially noticable in car-parks but to a lesser extent on normal roads also.

I have double checked the tyre pressures (using my guage and the one at the local garage) and they seem bang on.

any ideas - is this expected with older rubber ? could it be the colder weather ?

ps. being a sad Censored, I sat in my car in the car park for a few mins after returning just now and noted that out of the 10 or so cars that rounded the corner, non of them squealed whereas my D3 sounds like an episode of starskey and hutch Big Cry
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #53392313th Oct 2009 2:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >