DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Squeeky front end
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Squeeky front end

Hi all,

Does anyone else have a squeeky front suspension. It is only noticable over speed humps at slow speed. When the D3 rebounds after travelling over the hump the front end squeaks.

I've tried spray lubricant in the lower suspension arm pivots, lower shock pivots and swaybar mounts but the squeak is still there (but not as loud).

Sounds like another thing to add to my list for the my next service.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #27078511th Mar 2008 5:53 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Chris,
Yes, but it went when the dealer replaced all the stuffed suspension components to fix the thumps and bumps and knocking over bumps. everyihing eventually was replaced over an unreasonable time. Big Cry
Steering box, lower steering column, bushes, etc etc Shocked

Idea Are there other problems in the suspension Question as the sqeeking was just part of a bigger issue.

Rob

Post #27086711th Mar 2008 11:41 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

bush mounts seem to be the culprit on squeaks. Should be covered under warranty
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #27087311th Mar 2008 11:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

If you mean it squeaks like and old (I mean really old) bed, then yes mine sounds like this. Very embarrassing on speed bumps, people will look at your car and says: what the f*** he did to his car Question
That sound is killing me Evil or Very Mad
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #27104211th Mar 2008 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Q8_LR3 wrote:
If you mean it squeaks like and old (I mean really old) bed, then yes mine sounds like this. Very embarrassing on speed bumps, people will look at your car and says: what the f*** he did to his car Question
That sound is killing me Evil or Very Mad

Yes, yes, yes. This is exactly what it sounds like. It is embarassing and sounds like an old Ford with dodgy front suspension.

Rob Bruce, I've had a new steering rack fitted but that is the only thing in the front end that was changed and it wasn't because I had the squeaking front end, it was clunking on take off (known problem).

I'll need to get the D3 booked in for it's last service before warranty runs out.

Thanks.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #27122612th Mar 2008 12:35 am
iconix

United Kingdom 

Is it the Bush Mounts? Any more ideas on this? - mine is doing exactly the same thing on humps and goes in for its service in 2 weeks and I would like to tell them what to look at...

Post #31196619th Jun 2008 6:19 pm
PCH

My D3 went in for it's service in Apr 08 and I reported this squeaking front end and how to replicate it but the Service guys could not hear it Big Cry They reckon nothing was wrong but as soon as I went over a speed hump it was noticable. I've given up on their ability to hear (or lack of).

Chris

Post #31311923rd Jun 2008 12:36 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Chris,

You need to be vigilant with the service guys. just grab the service manager and take him for a drive to replicate the problem. Once he hears it, he can't debate it, so it must be fixed.

I could hear a clicking noise when rolling forward that was coming from the rear brake. Dealer couldn't replicate (tried twice) so left it alone, however 6 months later when my rear brakes pads where changed the dealer advised that he had to replace a broken brake clip that had come loose. Dealer then advised that, that was probably making the clicking noise. After that episode I now won't take NO for an answer and insist they they get in the car to hear or see the problem.
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #31313423rd Jun 2008 3:11 am
CrashTestDanny

Isle Of Man 

This exact problem has been both teasing and confusing me, and finally annoying the hell out of me, especially in the good weather with the window open...

Coincidently I've been to my local dealer this afternoon to book it in for this... I'll let you know next week how I get on. In a strange way its comforting to know someone else has this and it is a problem that can be fixed, as I was made to feel like a bit of a fussy winger when talking to the service guy.

For your interest I also sighted the somewhat degraded 'leather' steering wheel, that appears to be melting... he just looked at me blankly.

Wish me luck... Neutral
 ONE LIFE. LIVE IT. Simple, and true...  
Post #3165121st Jul 2008 11:49 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Mine has just been in to have suspension/steering bumps again, new lower steering colomn needed, when they checked what they put in last time it was the old stock faulty batch, at least they were honest and told me.
Also leak in front diff, seal faulty, They cant get seals so are puting a new diff in, this cant be cost effective but I am not complaining.
Noise from somewhwre trans/ engine /turbo turned out to be the EGR valves protesting, replace them too.
Cruse controle droping out caused by faulty brake light sensor.
New steering wheel, that will be nice.

Just as well its still under warrenty but only just !

Rob

Post #3165872nd Jul 2008 8:55 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Had my lower suspension arm bushes replaced which stopped mine squeaking like an old bed. Now I'm quiet ( as a non squeaking mouse) at dogging sessions Laughing
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #3166452nd Jul 2008 11:05 am
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Same as blue anchor, had mine done 2 weeks ago...bushes and wishbone ball joints.

Same issue at low speed now gone Thumbs Up
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #3173033rd Jul 2008 7:54 pm
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Changed the lower arm and sway bar bushes today, no more squeaking Thumbs Up
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #3173183rd Jul 2008 8:54 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ah, mine does this, very noticeable in multi storey car parks with window down!!!!!

In for a service soon will mention to the dealer!!!
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #3174394th Jul 2008 8:52 am
iconix

United Kingdom 

Just had mine back from the garage where the problem was diagnosed as worn front anti-roll bar mounts which they replaced under warranty, no squeaking as yet Wink

Post #3189287th Jul 2008 6:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >