Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

stalling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
marcon

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
stalling

After having a number of faults on D3 and in talks with dealer about replacement as a result,two new problems have appeared.

Low coolant level is flashing up on display even though levels are correct.

When pulling away in first gear D3 stalls,you really have to rev it to get going(not all the time),engine also idles slightly above and below 1000rpm as if you were pressing and lifting on the pedal ever so slightly,again this comes and goes.

The stalling has nearly caught us out once or twice when pulling into traffic.

Cruise control does not engage all the time but will work after restarting engine.

Anybody else come across the above problems.

2005 March D3 SE

Post #5090529th Mar 2006 12:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FlOwner

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

There was initial stalling problems in the US. The problem was corrected via a software fix.( not sure if it is the same as yours) If you check in the Edmunds.com forum you'll see some post about it.

The 2nd problem is very common. I believe it is caused by a water logged plunger in the coolant bottle. The only fix is to have the dealer replace the coolant bottle. . I'm not sure if LR3 has redesigned the part. If they haven't it will reappear in 6 months again.

Post #5090629th Mar 2006 12:30 am
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

oh boy....not yet
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #5090929th Mar 2006 1:05 am
zebadee

Ireland 

I’ve had the cruise control issue, but likewise, on re-start the fault had “self fixed”

I have the Low Coolant warning & am getting a new bottle on Friday. My dealer has a “stock” of them !!

Haven’t had the stall problem, mine is auto, but I have noticed every so often there’s a slight cough or drop in rev’s when it’s cold, which makes you think it could almost stall.

To get out of my parking space at home, I need to first drive forward a bit, then into reverse, before driving out. So it’s when I first move forward, then as I’m changing to “R” as the rev’s drop, it sometimes drops a bit below idle speed, coughs, but always (so far) recovers.

Doesn’t always do it, but every once a while………

Post #5094329th Mar 2006 10:03 am
SN

My D3 Auto is always a bit sluggish when I get it off the drive in the morning - and my drive has quite an upwards slope - I just jab the accelerator a bit and it gets up to onto the road. After that its OK!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5095429th Mar 2006 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zebadee

Ireland 

qzdcg8 wrote:
My D3 Auto is always a bit sluggish when I get it off the drive in the morning - and my drive has quite an upwards slope - I just jab the accelerator a bit and it gets up to onto the road. After that its OK!

Yeah, I don’t so much mind sluggish. In fact compared to my “Old Faithful ’95 TDi” the D3 is positively athletic in the mornings…..unlike me ! Confused

But every now & again, the engine gives what I can best describe as a rough cough, as the revs drop a little below comfortable idle. It always recovered though & has never been any more than a “what was that” moment.

Post #5105929th Mar 2006 7:28 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Might be worth mentioning TSB LA303-009 to your dealer
Cold start throttle response, Automatic transmission vehicles only Vin range: 5A300394-6A389121
"A customer may report a concern that after selecting 'D' (drive) or '2' (manual gear 2) in the automatic transmission when the engine has just been started in cold conditions, the engine will not respond to throttle inputs and the engine revs will not increase from idle. The condition only occurs between 0-15 seconds after engine start.

Cause: The cold start condition is resulting in a temporary low idle speed and a software calibration issue prevents the engine revs from increasing until the correct idle speed is reached.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the engine control module software."

Basically, a software 'tune' will sort it Wink

Post #5106129th Mar 2006 7:33 pm
marcon

zebadee does your cruise control still do this or did dealer solve problem.
Mine is failing most of the time now.

My D3 is manual so cold start issues probably don't apply.But it is stalling very easily at times,you have to really rev it to get going.

I am also noticing a knock in the steering which seems to be getting progressively worse.

Post #5107529th Mar 2006 8:44 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would still get your dealer to update your vehicle software to WDS 13 with patches 1, 2 & 3 as these contain a multitude of cold running issue fixes, it's possible that the cruise control problem is related to engine running issues also

Post #5107629th Mar 2006 8:49 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

marcon wrote:
zebadee does your cruise control still do this or did dealer solve problem.
Mine is failing most of the time now.

My D3 is manual so cold start issues probably don't apply.But it is stalling very easily at times,you have to really rev it to get going.

I am also noticing a knock in the steering which seems to be getting progressively worse.

Marcon, my cruise control has failed only twice I think, maybe three times. I really don’t use it that much so I would not be the best for a good comparison to yours.

I haven’t taken it up with the dealer yet, but I’m in for a new coolant bottle tomorrow, (Fri.) so I might mention it to them then.

With regard to a steering knock, I think I may have one developing alright. Usually when turning at a junction, when I go over a rough surface, I feel as if there is a slight knock. To be honest I’ve been trying to ignore it in hope I’m wrong, as I had huge issues with a Volvo XC90 I had, which I got rid of less than a year after getting it, due to horrendous issues with steering & front suspensions faults. Worst car I ever had, don’t anyone ever buy one !!!!

Post #5116330th Mar 2006 11:33 am
marcon

Thanks for that,steering knock seems to be an issue with D3.As regards cruise control what worries me is the fact there could be a bigger electronic problem behind it's failure.

Mine is going to dealer in a weeks time so will keep you posted as to what they come up with to solve these problems.

Post #5130530th Mar 2006 10:45 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

There seems to be an even greater issue with the Cruise control……..have a look here…

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3814

This guy had his cruise stick On !! Shocked

I think I’d prefer a non-op situation any day.

Post #5134031st Mar 2006 10:47 am
SimonW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

marcon wrote:

Hi marcon,
in 20,000 miles I dont think I have stalled mine once, I never have to rev it. I would also say I could even put it into first by just letting the clutch out without touching the accelerator, I will try it later and let you know.
 Nov '54' TDV6 SE Manual 25,000 miles - Excellent !! Don't buy an Auto until you have driven a Manual !!!!

'89 Classic 3.5i
Prev:
'00 4.6 RR Vogue,
'98 300Tdi 90 CSW,
'99 Freelander 

Post #5136831st Mar 2006 12:39 pm
marcon

Reading the link on cruise control really high lights the danger of these intermittent faults with electronics.After reading what can happen I am strongly thinking of not taking D3 back from dealer unless he gives me a guarantee that this issue is sorted.As I have said in previous posts they had mine for two and a half months sorting out faults but still cruise control is still not working,park assist after the third unit still fails,steering knock still there and now we have stalling issues.

Even from a safety point of view driving a car with these kind of problems puts people at risk.Dealer has been promising me a new car at a fifty fifty cost between us since January but still won't commit as they wait for Landrover Ireland to contribute as well.This site is not suitable for me to post what I think of Landrover Ireland but suffice it to say customer relations does not seem to be high on their agenda. Mad

Post #5146731st Mar 2006 8:38 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

marcon wrote:
This site is not suitable for me to post what I think of Landrover Ireland but suffice it to say customer relations does not seem to be high on their agenda. Mad

I'm with you there Marcon, but tell me what in this godforsaken country actually is "Customer Orientated" ?

I hope you get a resolution to your issues, you really seem to be suffering with your D3. I had similar issues with Volvo a few years ago with an XC90, but in the end I just cut my losses & sold the vehicle back to the dealer & went back to Land Rover.

Thankfully I’ve been very lucky all through the years with LR products & hopefully that will remain to be the case. There is nothing worse than ploughing huge money into a new car, to have the experience ruined by faults & a non co-operative dealer.

But I would have to say that car manufacturers have lost the run of themselves with the unnecessary complexity they are building into their cars these days. I had a lovely ’97 Tdi XS which I kept for over five years & there wasn’t a single issue with it. No electronics, no software updates, no fibre optic wiring………just good old reliable nuts ‘n’ bolt technology.

Really makes you wonder ! Confused

Post #515351st Apr 2006 12:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >