Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Standard jack, extended height, weights, etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Standard jack, extended height, weights, etc

Jacked my D3 up with standard jack to check how everything works - the vehicle lifted just high enough to clear wheel off the ground for removal with jack at its maximum height. I suppose the trick is to place the jack onto some solid object for extra height - in an off road situation the jack may not be adequate. Spare wheel removal no big deal, but once again if caught in a ditch one may want to lift entire back - suppose air jack is essential for off road travel ?

Tried extended suspension setting with jack under vehicle - it works !. Pity on cannot select this as standard (ie without the body actually hanging over an obstacle).

Then had a heated argument with a L@nd Cr%$er owner after the rugby on the air suspension capabilities of D3. He reckons that the D3 will never be a true overlander vehicle as the air suspension cannot handle a fully laden vehicle (ie including roof-rack and trailer) under off-road conditions. According to him all the off-road tests were done with almost empty vehicle - not even passengers and the D3's used in Camel like excursions all failed due to air suspension collapsing.

So - what is the maximum carrying capacity of the D3 under off-road conditions ?

Post #16571810th Jun 2007 4:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The blokes a tw@t - but we all knew that anyway 'cos he bought a land cruiser Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
We took several D3's to Morrocco, all loaded to the hilt internally & externally - I think someone weighed one at 3.7 tonnes Shocked and that was before we added the beer!! all the D3's sat perfectly level, whatever the weight distribution, the only issue was a burst front air pipe due to a speed / dune angle / driver ability equational error Laughing Laughing (NOT one of ours!!)
I know that LR use the peak district for towing ability testing the mules - up to 3 tonnes of sand in trailers plus 1 tonne of ballast in the vehicle..... there's some good hills round there 8)

Post #16572210th Jun 2007 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As you know if you check out some of my postings, our D3 has been offroad into REAL africa quite a few times, and each time the vehicle has been close to 4,000kg.

The standard jack is only good for tar-road use. Get a Takla air jack or the new FR Air-crane (I have both and they are great) if you are venturing off-road.

Your LandCruiser buddy is talking KAK.
Jealousy makes you nasty, they say.

Post #16998023rd Jun 2007 6:02 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Cack ??? Obviously another Seffrican greeting Rolling with laughter

Post #16998223rd Jun 2007 7:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Land Cruiser will sag at the back badly under load D3 air suspension keps it nice and level no matter what you put in it/behind it! Very Happy
The 100 series cruiser does not recommend towing a heavey load with the rear air bags. Confused Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #16999223rd Jun 2007 8:44 am
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
weights, load, handling

Deondef, Baben,
I just returned from about 7000 km trip through Khaudum and Nkasa Rupara Park.
The D3 TDV6 carried -- on roof rack: 2 water jerry cans, 4 diesel jerry cans, 6th spare rim/tyre, two safari bow tents, 1 ammo crate (tools, lamps, etc), 5 chairs, table, braai grid, gas bottle, 5 roll-up mattresses and sleeping bags, (later laundry bag as well). Spade, panga; Inside, Aludraw with food, kitchen stuff, beers champagne and single malts; 5x clothing bags, books, camera equipment, freezer (Engel), several cooler boxes, etc, etc and 3 teens, Mom and self. Pretty well laden. It handled all terrain well, including Khaudum’s thick sand -- without a hitch. Lost one Goodyear tyre on gravel road to Tsumkwe (should have lowered the pressure). The Linyanti muddy swamp crossings gave no problems (including one where we found a Touareg that sucked in water and bent cam rod/blown engine). I would consider snorkel for next trip into swamps. Goodyear tyres are mucfh too slippery. In thick Khaudum sand, they were fine.
Biggest problem on trip was big herds of elephants in Khaudum congesting the roads at waterholes and hippo’s in swamp (pitched our camp in dark across from King’s Pool, on hippo highway). (oh yes, one of two land cruisers with us got bogged down a few times in swampy patches and had had to be recovered. He now wants a D3).

There are no problems with weight carrying capacity or due to the (properly) loaded roofrack. No problems with airsuspension or performance. Did the 5,5 hours (reportedly notorious thick sand) 55 km stretch out of Khaudum in North to Katere at max of 30-40km/h in 2 hours.

I would invest in FR fueltank and rear spare fitting. Where did you get your tank? Is the FR rear fitting available yet?

Post #1753107th Jul 2007 4:40 pm
heine

Re: weights, load, handling

AP Moller wrote:
Deondef, Baben,
I would invest in FR fuel tank and rear spare fitting. Where did you get your tank? Is the FR rear fitting available yet?

Sounds like a great trip AP . Want to do the same again myself sometime soon . You can get the tank from FR , and last time I was there Bobby was looking for a development vehicle for the spare carrier. He offered to do it for me at a reduced cost , but I'm not sure that it will be able to open with a trailer attached so I gracefully declined

Post #1754408th Jul 2007 5:27 pm
heine

Another question AP . What jack did you use to change your flat . The standard one ?

Post #1756209th Jul 2007 7:39 am
AP Moller

Re: weights, load, handling

Heine,

Very Happy Yes, it was a great trip. Want to do Moz and Kaokoland as well. After dumping my first 2005 TDV6 SE D3 last year (due to constant collapse of suspension and complete electrical failure) and this 2006 TDV6 HSE vehicle's front air hoses having collapsed at high speed on tar in Dec. 06, I was (and wife then Evil or Very Mad ) very relieved (elated) to see the vehilce travelling in "ardeous conditions" without falling down.

I used standard jack on gravel road surface. Rack and D3 fully loaded, I used the spare from my roof rack. I was very worried about the flimsy jack as it seemed to buckle just a little Rolling Eyes It is specifiied for an empty vehicle. I was not inclined to unpack at the time. I am buying either air jack or hydrolic oil jack. Have to decide: any ideas?

[quote="heine"]
AP Moller wrote:
Deondef, Baben,
You can get the tank from FR , and last time I was there Bobby was looking for a development vehicle for the spare carrier. He offered to do it for me at a reduced cost , but I'm not sure that it will be able to open with a trailer attached so I gracefully declined

I would like to get the rear spare carrier. Is it not yet fully developed? Do you have Bobby's contact details? (I saw a picture of removable swing away fitting on the net, but have not been able to trace website).

Alwyn

Post #17651910th Jul 2007 9:00 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Quote:
Biggest problem on trip was big herds of elephants in Khaudum congesting the roads at waterholes and hippo’s in swamp

We get these in the UK, but they are locally know as "Anti 4x4 wilderbeast" Rolling with laughter
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #17652010th Jul 2007 9:05 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I thought they were Q7's dunco Wink

Post #17653210th Jul 2007 9:19 pm
heine

Hi Alwyn

Front Runner website

http://www.frontrunner.co.za

But not much help if you're in Cape Town Crying or Very sad

Post #17671011th Jul 2007 10:48 am
heine

Alwyn I tried a bottle jack , which worked fine for the front wheels but I couldn't find a decent jacking spot for the rear . Not sure if you can use it on the standard jacking points ?

Post #17671111th Jul 2007 10:52 am
AP Moller

Heine,
Have not tried a bottle jack on D3. Had one with D1 and sold it with it. If bottle jack head is fitted with bolt/protrusion to take the hole in chassis, it should work well. I will have a look.

Otherwise, the air jack seems to be the solution.

How much weight can it handle?

Alwyn

Post #17693611th Jul 2007 9:34 pm
heine

My jack can handle 2.7 ton

Post #17704312th Jul 2007 7:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >